News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guardian posted new [and old] features of Sony OS and services revealed at Develop 2013
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/15/ps4-develop-2013-playstation-sony

1. Sony included developer input right from the start of R&D
So the basic structure of the machine's processor was built on third-party developer suggestions – which very much aligns with what Sony has been saying about listening to game makers.

2. PS4 was designed like an Atari coin-op game: easy to play…
Cerny reckons the time it'll take studios to start chucking polygons around the screen in a PS4 project will be one to two months – the same as PSone, and a big improvement on the six to 12 months it took on PS3.

3. … but difficult to master
In other words, the GPU can handle lots of other tasks apart from graphics rendering, including physics simulation, collision detection, ray-casting for audio and decompression – all allegedly with little impact on those polygon and effects calculations.

4. Making things simple for children
As Cerny explained, "As part of our design process we ended up making a giant controller, 50% larger than usual so that we could directly experience what it felt like being a child trying to play a game.

5. Making things simple for indies
Part of this is also supporting self-publishing and allowing business models such as free-to-play, episodic release and micro-transactions.

6. Designed to be a balanced system
More importantly, he says, it's a modern general purpose CPU, which means unlike the in-order processors of current consoles it uses out-of-order execution, executing instructions depending on when they are ready rather than in the order governed by the original programming.

7. This is the age of 'asynchronous compute'
Effectively then, within a single frame of the game's runtime, each of the GPU's 18 compute units can seamlessly switch between general computing and graphics tasks depending on what is most pressing.

8. DualShock has been redesigned for feel and responsiveness
There's reduced latency so the controls are more responsive and improved rumble with one small and one large motor ("both are 8bit controllable," says Brown).

9. PS4 features a new 'connected UX'
The live tiles can also immediately send the player to a specific mode, game save or challenge, without them having to go through the in-game menu options first.

10. Moving toward a real social network
Players can also immediately join a friend's multiplayer session from the PS4 main menu.

11. The Share button and how it works
Brown also says that developers will be able to add a selection of spectator commands that the game can dynamically respond to. For example, if the onscreen player is fighting an end-of-level boss, but is low on health, a spectator could click a Heal option to help them out.

12. Seamless Remote Play
PS4 remote play also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once – and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

13. Seamless companion apps
Meanwhile, the PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices allows you to browse friends lists, PSN options and the PlayStation Store as well as controlling your PS4; so you can tell it to start downloading a new game while you're on the bus home.

14. Instant access to downloads
Brown also claimed that you'll be able to log on to your digital games library from a friend's house and start playing immediately.
-------------------------------------------

As for #12 and Seamless Remote Play.... Is this done so that local couch coop games can be easily played by up to 4 players [every player receives same video stream with all of the players rendered on the screen]? Nice idea, hopefully it will work fine.

But how many spectators can I host ?

What about WAN RemotePlay ?

Gimme a more powerful companion app ! "browse friends lists, PSN options and the PlayStation Store as well as controlling your PS4; so you can tell it to start downloading a new game while you're on the bus home." is a start but sounds marginally boring. Can a non-PS4 owner use the companion app to interact with me ? (e.g., spectate)

Some of those features sound quite cool, especially the lan play. Hopefully we'll get to see some of these things in action at Comic Con\Gamescon.

You're right. Is the spectator command (e.g., "heal") available to everyone ? Or just a companion app user, or a Playstation user ?

Spectating will be fully public via Ustream.

I doubt it is ustream only.

As far as I know all livestream websites work in the same way. You enter a key and a URL to your broadcast software and everything else should sort itself out.

You're right. Is the spectator command (e.g., "heal") available to everyone ? Or just a companion app user, or a Playstation user ?

I think further interaction would require your tablet/phone to have the psn app to send messages to you, or the game would have to support it like The Division/Watchdog with a tablet.

I think they hinted that they will use different live stream partners in different regions.

Nico Nico has a Vita app. May be they are the live stream provider in Japan.

I think they hinted that they will use different live stream partners in different regions.

Nico Nico has a Vita app. May be they are the live stream provider in Japan.

It's a shame if they lock users to use certain partners only. I don't think that will happen due to the relative openness of the PS4 so far, but I have my fingers crossed. :???:

Guardian posted new [and old] features of Sony OS and services revealed at Develop 2013
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/15/ps4-develop-2013-playstation-sony

1. Sony included developer input right from the start of R&D
So the basic structure of the machine's processor was built on third-party developer suggestions – which very much aligns with what Sony has been saying about listening to game makers.

2. PS4 was designed like an Atari coin-op game: easy to play…
Cerny reckons the time it'll take studios to start chucking polygons around the screen in a PS4 project will be one to two months – the same as PSone, and a big improvement on the six to 12 months it took on PS3.

3. … but difficult to master
In other words, the GPU can handle lots of other tasks apart from graphics rendering, including physics simulation, collision detection, ray-casting for audio and decompression – all allegedly with little impact on those polygon and effects calculations.

4. Making things simple for children
As Cerny explained, "As part of our design process we ended up making a giant controller, 50% larger than usual so that we could directly experience what it felt like being a child trying to play a game.

5. Making things simple for indies
Part of this is also supporting self-publishing and allowing business models such as free-to-play, episodic release and micro-transactions.

6. Designed to be a balanced system
More importantly, he says, it's a modern general purpose CPU, which means unlike the in-order processors of current consoles it uses out-of-order execution, executing instructions depending on when they are ready rather than in the order governed by the original programming.

7. This is the age of 'asynchronous compute'
Effectively then, within a single frame of the game's runtime, each of the GPU's 18 compute units can seamlessly switch between general computing and graphics tasks depending on what is most pressing.

8. DualShock has been redesigned for feel and responsiveness
There's reduced latency so the controls are more responsive and improved rumble with one small and one large motor ("both are 8bit controllable," says Brown).

9. PS4 features a new 'connected UX'
The live tiles can also immediately send the player to a specific mode, game save or challenge, without them having to go through the in-game menu options first.

10. Moving toward a real social network
Players can also immediately join a friend's multiplayer session from the PS4 main menu.

11. The Share button and how it works
Brown also says that developers will be able to add a selection of spectator commands that the game can dynamically respond to. For example, if the onscreen player is fighting an end-of-level boss, but is low on health, a spectator could click a Heal option to help them out.

12. Seamless Remote Play
PS4 remote play also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once – and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

13. Seamless companion apps
Meanwhile, the PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices allows you to browse friends lists, PSN options and the PlayStation Store as well as controlling your PS4; so you can tell it to start downloading a new game while you're on the bus home.

14. Instant access to downloads
Brown also claimed that you'll be able to log on to your digital games library from a friend's house and start playing immediately.
-------------------------------------------

As for #12 and Seamless Remote Play.... Is this done so that local couch coop games can be easily played by up to 4 players [every player receives same video stream with all of the players rendered on the screen]? Nice idea, hopefully it will work fine.
Number 12 and 13 are features I wasn't aware of.

Just to continue with a list, here are the PS4's top ten features according to this webpage.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/07/16/the-ps4s-top-ten-features/

Not that it was unexpected but Bethesda have confirmed that their games aren't going to only look better on the PS4 and Xbox One compared to the PS3 and X360, but they will also run smoother.

And this is more interesting when you know they haven't gotten grips with the new consoles as of yet, so yeah, the future looks promising. :smile:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Bethesda-s-Next-Gen-Games-Run-Better-on-PS4-and-Xbox-One-368937.shtml

It's hard to tell if the article is accurate but...

12. Seamless Remote Play

This will address my gripe about protected game saves locked to a particular device for 24 hours. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

some ps4 stuff from gamespot ay comic con.

looks like mainly knack was playable of anything triple a.

like xbox, looks like all real ps4's.

I hear Drive Club and Octodad are also playable.

Yup. and just Ryse and Project Spark For Xbone.

I dont see the point of Octodad at all these PS4 events, how disappointing a use of PS4 hardware that must be for eager fans waiting to go hands on. But whatever.

Yup. and just Ryse and Project Spark For Xbone.

I dont see the point of Octodad at all these PS4 events, how disappointing a use of PS4 hardware that must be for eager fans waiting to go hands on. But whatever.

Octodad, Knack and Driveclub are playable for PS4.

Ryse and Killer Instinct are playable on the show floor. Crimson Dragon, Fantasia, and something else are at Microsoft's hotel room. Spark and Dead Rising 3 are stage demos I believe.

It's essentially Sony's commitment on showing/promoting small and independent development houses wares in the immediate spotlight, rather than the norm. I'm actually welcomed... I just wish MS was a little better in the media with these sort of things.

Owing to confidentiality agreements, Reflections couldn't go into too much depth on the relationship of the Onion and Garlic buses with the rest of the PS4's processor, but we suspect that ExtremeTech's block diagram is pretty close to the mark. Note that the PS4 has two Jaguar CPU clusters for eight cores in total, two of which are reserved by the operating system.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

...that diagram is not convincing much.
Look llano's memory performance, and you see that CPU that accesses RAM has almost full BW available (13Gb/s vs 17GB/s) as long as it accesses its own cacheable memory area.
Here and here onion bus is described as a GPU bus, not a CPU one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back