News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
IPv6 is because we are running out or are out of IPv4. Europe is out, as a LIR you can get 1024 v4 addresses from RIPE still, I think, but new ISPs for instance will not get enough v4 addresses, to run a successful business.

So to cope with that they need all of the world to run v6 or they have to do some nasty tricks to share the few addresses they have like LSNAT/CGNAT. Now if they do that, then forget about portforwarding and P2P gaming in any meaningful way. PS360 NAT issues will be childsplay compared to what will happen then.
Its basically a big ass router/gateway that does NAT for all the ISP customers, which means there will be multiple customers sharing 1 address on the central router. So maybe each of the customers get a range of maybe 100 ports (its science/art to find the sweetspot, based on your customer base and traffic flows).
So if Xlive/PSN needs a specific port forwarded to the console, then that sucks. Because if you got 1000 customers sharing 1 ip address and PSN/Xlive needs port 1337 to be forwarded to the console, then only 1 out of a 1000 will be able to have that port forwarded......

As for v6 being better, well they have tweaked the IP header so the routers should have to lockup/parse less stuff and routing tables are more sane/less fragmentet, but I this is changing with higher level adoption of the protocol. So its not sure that will be an advantage that will keep for ever.
The big gain in addition to more addresses, is no NAT, another drawback, there is no such thing as UPnP finalized yet for v6. So if you got a Firewall between your console and the internet, you will have to manually open the correct ports for your console.

PS Sony/MS if you need somebody to help out with why and how and when for doing IPv6, gimme a call :D
That's pretty interesting stuff. They should be focusing on solutions for those problems.

The NAT problem will be solved in the next generation though. Or so they say. Using dedicated servers and the cloud the NAT isn't necessary at all.

That's pretty interesting stuff. They should be focusing on solutions for those problems.

The NAT problem will be solved in the next generation though. Or so they say. Using dedicated servers and the cloud the NAT isn't necessary at all.

Thats if all games/services is forced to have a server, but is that the case?
And what happens when they do not want to host the server anymore, you can not play online anymore? I guess this is whats happening to a certain extent to day.

What about remote access from Vita to PS3/PS4, when the console is "turned off", how to wake it up without a known port?

Ack! Lot of text. anyone care to provide a summary? Will we get better internet connections for games? I just associate IP6 with a gazillion new domains.

In terms of gaming, I see no more NAT and no need for NAT traversal (still needs firewall setup for security), hence better p2p communication (chat, online gaming, video sharing) possibly more reliability with much less UDP.

HipHopGamer says video footage of Uncharted 4 already exists :oops: And to expect it along with GoW4, Resistance 4 in 2014 as "Year of the 4". I hope he's legit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlE1twTzSA

Well it sounds right. The VGAs is about the perfect time to spring that. TLOU walking off with all the awards, the PS4 having just gone thru It's launch stock and looking for the next thing to propel sales, so you drop the megaton of Uncharted4, GoW4, and Resistance4 for 2014. Sounds like a plan.

Well it sounds right. The VGAs is about the perfect time to spring that. TLOU walking off with all the awards, the PS4 having just gone thru It's launch stock and looking for the next thing to propel sales, so you drop the megaton of Uncharted4, GoW4, and Resistance4 for 2014. Sounds like a plan.
Resistance 4? i'm calling fake, he is making it up for hits.

I'm not sure he's ever actually been the source of a rumor that turned out to be true, but I agree that it'd be a good idea to show off the 'big hits' that are to come in 2014 before launch at Gamescom, TGS and VGA's which I'm pretty sure is the plan... to entice core gamers to take sides early on.

Anyways, I think it's wise for some combination of GoW, Uncharted, and GT to show up before 2015. The strongest franchises need to be there early, but not too early, to keep momentum going.

After, Insomniac's excellent Resistance 3, which felt a shade like an action oriented precursor to The Last of Us, I'm definitely in for more Resistance, but only if they follow the R3 formula, not the travesty that was R2.

Honestly, I think over the course of the PS4's life, we can reasonably expect to see everything make a return in some form.

If they lose the perks in R3 MP, it would be even better (e.g., The "vacuum cleaner" weapon is overpowered). IMHO, the core gameplay should be fun enough.

In terms of gaming, I see no more NAT and no need for NAT traversal (still needs firewall setup for security), hence better p2p communication (chat, online gaming, video sharing) possibly more reliability with much less UDP.

Actually there is a big debate about IPv6 firewall placement, if it should be on routers/gateways or not.
The argument is that all host devices should run their own firewall instead of having a central firewall for a LAN etc.

It may not be so straightforward especially in an enterprise setting (e.g., college dorm with curious kids). I think a lot of enterprise routers have private extensions, and the admins sometimes have weird policies in place to workaround implementation/deployment issues due to other platform limitations.

If we simply stick to the basics, the chance of it working "universally" is higher. If they start to muck around with enterprise security, multicasting, etc., then they may have some complications to deal with.

The Boy who Cried Wolf:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1976933/sony_gamescom_is_going_to_be_a_ps_vita_show.html

Those disappointed by the lack of new Vita titles from Sony at E3 can look forward to Gamescom, as Sony has said it 'is definitely going to be a PS Vita show'.

I guess they meant we will talk more about PS4 RemotePlay in Gamescom. :p
They did have many Vita stuff on the E3 show floor, but Sony didn't give them much exposure.

Eager to check out Tearaway, more so than any PS4 games. Now that TLoU is out, only Puppeteer (and perhaps GT6) match it in my mind so far. ^_^

Actually there is a big debate about IPv6 firewall placement, if it should be on routers/gateways or not.
The argument is that all host devices should run their own firewall instead of having a central firewall for a LAN etc.

Great, so now whichever random employee gets told to be the "IT person" has to manage (and understand) firewalls on every machine / device instead of just at the gateway? At least as it stands now NAT helps to mitigate some security issues thanks to non-routable IPs on the local LAN.

IP6 seems like it is going to be a massive clusterfrack DDOS shangrila.

Arguments are nice and all, but they will be at both again as always, trust me.

I do hope both companies support IPv6 out of the box this generation. Sony made a big deal several years ago about supporting IPv6 across all of their hardware, but never did a thing to support it on PS3.

PS4 is launching in India this year.

The PlayStation 4 will release in India in 2013, Sony has confirmed.

Speaking with IVG, PlayStation India country manager Atindriya Bose said that Sony is targeting a simultaneous launch alongside Europe, but logistical issues could cause a delay of up to a month. That’s still good enough to make a 2013 launch.

“It will be matched with the European launch; give or take a bit to account for Indian logistics. The consoles have to be shipped in advance and currently all consoles also require certification for the India market. In terms of targeting, we’re looking to synchronise with the European launch,” Bose said.

“That’s this year.”

We reminded Bose of the delays that the PS3 faced in India, and asked if that could possibly happen with the PS4.

“It’s unfair to compare the PS4 with PS3 because we have come a long way,” he said. “With PS3, first the world launches took place and then we started looking at the other markets we wanted to go into. For PS4, it will have a timeline that is more aligned with what we had on PS Vita. Being a portable, the logistics had made it easier for us to launch day-and-date [with Europe]. Once we know the European date for PS4, we will work towards that, but there will be some gap, depending on the logistics.”

How much of a gap, you ask? “One month at most, unless there is an issue at the certification level,” Bose said.

Recent rumours have suggested that the PS4 could release on 13th November in Europe, so we could see the console on Indian store shelves by mid-December. That should give the PS4 a massive advantage over the Xbox One, which will only arrive in India officially by late 2014.

http://www.indianvideogamer.com/news/ps4-to-launch-in-india-in-2013/21066

Both Sony and Microsoft's supply chain arrangements must be fascinating. I'd love to get to see a diagram of all of the money / component flows that are involved in a modern tech roll-out.

If Sony pull off this simultaneous world launch, something I have doubts about, then they are going to be at a massive advantage globally and on a very level, if not slightly skewed Sony wise, playing field in the US. It's one for the dominance thread methinks...
I don't think so (Dominance Thread). Even with a 5:1 sales ratio, XB1 will still get full game support, I'm sure. The only thing it might lack, maybe, is Indie titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back