News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends how much effort they made to make a polished marketing demo or if it was just taken from a old milestone for Sony execs. Sounds weird that DC is targetting 60fps

Maybe they are saying that the graphics will update at 60fps but everything else is running 30fps

The image quality on the Killzone screens is nuts... I think they have been in the polish and beta stage for a while so I hope they get rid of the 25 fps they reported in the forest area. Pretty sure I read a while back that they finished making the whole game already basically.

The DF report definitely brought down my excitement for the PS4....

Same here.

The question I have is what can devs do to improve performance at this point that they haven't already done? I mean, this is x86 hardware and 18CU gcn.

The only thing I'm thinking they might be doing is cutting back to fit frame budget.

Is the GDDR5 latency the issue?

I doubt we can change PSN account id. Unless they have another internal, globally unique user identifier, external systems (e.g., NetFlix, Origins, Steam, etc.) that integrate with PSN at some point may be using this id to key into their systems.

A simpler (still tedious) solution is to add a new field to PSN (say, Alias). Make Alias the same as the account id by default. Make it editable by the user and change all the PSN apps to present this Alias instead of the account id.

Good to see DF publish the real situation. Would love to learn more about how the Cell -> GPGPU port work out. I suspect they may have to use more GPU Compute now as opposed to later. Developers who implemented their games using PC tech may be a better/easier fit. But that's just my suspicion.

EDIT:
I called their help desk to reinstate/move my purchased movies and TV episodes to my second PS3. They were able to do so quickly.

Account id change is something that will need design change if it's not already implemented.

PS4 PSN is supposed to have an extra "Real name" field. So it may be good time to let Sony know we want an editable user id too.

Same here.

The question I have is what can devs do to improve performance at this point that they haven't already done? I mean, this is x86 hardware and 18CU gcn.

It seems to be a platform with a new graphics API, and an engine designed primarily to 'produce a game ASAP'.

The only thing I'm thinking they might be doing is cutting back to fit frame budget.

Optimization. Based on the DF comments, it's may be specific to the forest - it may be the tree generation is from a third party, or maybe just cut out some trees - or simplify some of the lighting etc.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it at this stage.

1080P/60 is a more a decision you have to make early.
You don't optimize towards it, you have to decide it's what your going to do, and build your assets and scope your gameplay CPU requirement to fit the budget. Sure during development you may be over the budget, and you might elect to show at 1080P/30 at E3 because it's easier, but it's not a decision made late in development.

Yeah, I think people are iffy that some of the games targeting 60fps are still running @ 30fps (or lower). ^_^

We probably should let the developers do their thing. Some of the demoes are probably old builds too.

Same here.

Generally the approach is: 1) workout your technical target based on game needs and hardware. 2) get it running. 3) optimise.

The truth is that most developers spend quite a bit of effort getting their work-in-progress games into playable demo form for events like E3. We don't know how old the demos shown - for either platform - were. But it's to be expected that all the devs are all under pressure to deliver games for the launch windows. Given the option of setting development back weeks to produce a demo, or the choice of showing a demo based on old code, I think both Microsoft and Sony would opt for the latter. I doubt that any of the demos shown or played, were very close to current code for the games concerned at the time of E3.

Phil, you should use this to complain to their helpdesk:
http://www.gamesreviews.com/news/06/ps4-online-blocked-for-countries-without-a-store/

I didn't read it carefully but it sounds like...
The users in these countries will have to set up a "fake" PSN account in another country to play online games. They will earn their trophies there.

By the time Sony set up digital store in the remaining countries, they should offer a way for users to migrate their account, or move their assets from another account.

Phil, you should use this to complain to their helpdesk:
http://www.gamesreviews.com/news/06/ps4-online-blocked-for-countries-without-a-store/

I didn't read it carefully but it sounds like...
The users in these countries will have to set up a "fake" PSN account in another country to play online games. They will earn their trophies there.

By the time Sony set up digital store in the remaining countries, they should offer a way for users to migrate their account, or move their assets from another account.

No Proxy needed?

Killzone isn’t the one which concerns me. Drive club from what I understand is being developed by veteran racing game developers. And as is, it is having difficulty hitting 30fps? By itself, could be a one off, but it seems to be par for the course rather than the exception…

One or two 30fps isn’t a concern, but when every one of them is 30fps (even racing games) while xbone is hitting 60fps (1080p to boot) then I’m starting to question is there something holding it back. At face value, ps4 architecture should have zero problems running most any modern pc game at 1080p 60fps, yet … it isn’t.

According to the net, the DriveClub folks said their demo is estimated at 35% complete, pre-alpha state.

I vaguely remember some people expressed concern about the team's MotorStorm demo in the early PS3 era. They ended up delivering the game in spades.

May be this time they will miss their deadline ? :)

The specs is one thing, but the developers are the ones responsible for the output. We haven't seen enough DriveClub to know what's going on yet.

Killzone isn’t the one which concerns me. Drive club from what I understand is being developed by veteran racing game developers. And as is, it is having difficulty hitting 30fps? By itself, could be a one off, but it seems to be par for the course rather than the exception…

One or two 30fps isn’t a concern, but when every one of them is 30fps (even racing games) while xbone is hitting 60fps (1080p to boot) then I’m starting to question is there something holding it back. At face value, ps4 architecture should have zero problems running most any modern pc game at 1080p 60fps, yet … it isn’t.

Could you kindly point me to a racing game from this studio that has done more than 30fps in the past?

But DC is an open world racing game, isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back