News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Undeclared profits from currency exchanges are also bringing them back into the green big time. They'll make bank with PS4 as the Yen will continue to fall for the foreseeable future.

If they price it attractively and if gaming will at least reach the volumes of the current generation.

Other driver of sales is the games library. Are $60 games going to sell well?

Sony sold two buildings during the quarter for $2.3 billion, for an estimated $1125000 in gains. I hope they have more buildings to sell.

They made good profits off that real estate. It's probably how we have 8GB GDDR5. Cash out and downsize like a retiree. Wish I was a Gen x'er or Baby boomer.

They'll make bank with PS4 as the Yen will continue to fall for the foreseeable future.
I sure hope so, I hate seeing Sony bleed. It's a company with heritage, and especially for me as a kid of the 80s with Walkman, and so on. Besides, this market like any other needs competition.

I think it's incorrect to see these buildings sales as a patch for a lack of profitability. Sony's restructuring has been selling things they don't need to buy what they need for growth and market share. If I remember correctly, they spent 5 billion in capital expenditures (gaikai, new fabs, etc..) and 5 billion in R&D (PS4, sensors, cellphone tech, oled, photonics).

I think it's incorrect to see these buildings sales as a patch for a lack of profitability. Sony's restructuring has been selling things they don't need to buy what they need for growth and market share. If I remember correctly, they spent 5 billion in capital expenditures (gaikai, new fabs, etc..) and 5 billion in R&D (PS4, sensors, cellphone tech, oled, photonics).

And, correct if i'm wrong, but Sony can't count as profit the money they obtain from those sells because it's not related to their corporate purpose. I think they can only count as revenue the money obtained from their normal business activity.

But i'm no accountant, so i really don't know. :?:

mark Rein here seems like captain obvious... the hot water discovering :rolleyes: of course they will
Well, others like PixelJunk developer Q-Games mentioned something along those lines too, which is kind of relieving and talk heaps about the new capabilities of these machines.

On a different note, Knack will be in time for PS4 launch. For me, this is the most interesting game in the launch line-up (whatever it will be, save a huge surprise)

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013...ing_onto_the_playstation_4_in_time_for_launch

And, correct if i'm wrong, but Sony can't count as profit the money they obtain from those sells because it's not related to their corporate purpose. I think they can only count as revenue the money obtained from their normal business activity.

You're talking about operating costs versus overall gross income for the year. Selling those buildings to invest where needed isn't a bad thing in any case.

jayco said:

I'm no accounted either (investment banker), but the basics are:

Everything except certain financial off balance sheet items will go either through the P&L( profit and loss statement) or through the balance sheet (and thus cash flow).

If you divest real estate and that is not part of your core business, you will most likely report it below net income, (or below EBIT - earnings before interest and taxes, if the property transaction are classified as a financial sale). However, tricking an accountant into booking it above EBITDA should also be possible depending on accounting regime..

In any case, it still shows up in your P&L, and more importantly, in any case you get the cash flow from the transaction.

As a side note, if the net income figure is red or black doesn't really have an material impact. What is important is that EBITDA is black and the company generates positive cash flow from operations. Almost all things below EBITDA is useless accounting crap like depreciation - which has no cash flow effect but allows you to reduce taxes

I just hope that Sony at least take note, now that the console is more than capable enough and has free memory enough and resources, and they add support for Mods.

More customization for next generation consoles would be perfect.

In that sense Skyrim has been a HUGE success and it has more than 28000 mods now.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/05/12/skyrim-pc-mods-show-ps4-xbox-720-change-needed/

They just need to come up with a certification process. They allowed user created content in LBP, but will Bethesda or others go through the pain of adding to the console releases in such a way to support this kind of stuff?

UT3 supported user mods on PS3. Not all mods were supported. I think Epic checked them for PS3 compatibility before they show up on the PS3 mod list.

I just hope that Sony at least take note, now that the console is more than capable enough and has free memory enough and resources, and they add support for Mods.
I may be breaking NDA with this, but I can confirm that you'll be able to download a Graham and a Shifty Geezer for PS4. AlStrong is proving too complex for PS4 at the moment, but there's hope, maybe shifting it to cloud computing.

iwVxlzxFltra9.png

iVvm9kdarPYsN.png

ieAcXcgQp9eA0.png

It's from supposedly leaked adverisement and the news has been instantly removed from n4g. Wonder if true.

edit:

fake
http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-playstation-4-ad-is-fake-6408290

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back