News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think they are probably going a little overboard there though USB flash is cheap enough I could see them using something like for storage on the controller. The profile on the controller thing is pretty awesome in itself as it basically would allow you to carry your profile with you to a friends house rather then hacving to bother anything about signing in.

Yes, the Kotaku leak mentioned that the controller is associated with the current user login.

I would be surprised if they have memory in that controller. If they go there, it's would be a very interesting play. ^_^

FWIW, I remember one of the Sony execs mentioned that the controller light is for player identification only. The color light may not used in the same manner as the Move controller light ball.

I take it to mean stream to the DS4's speaker or headset (if connected).

Oh wait, you mean the game music and sound effects ? I am not sure.

Wouldn't it be weird if you only hear the voice chat but not the in-game audio when using a stereo headset connected to the DS4 ?

Does anyone know if the PS4 will support online saving of game data? This really needs to come - I just noticed it again on the weekend when I took my game to my sisters place and wanted to show her a few scenes from the game or continue playing it there. It would be so convinient to just go there, log in to my profile and load the game-save directly from there.

Makes me wonder why this hasn't been done before, given it was so easy to take the game-save-card on the old consoles to your friends place. This has been somewhat lost in this generation, which is a pitty. Yes, I know you can actually copy your save-file onto a USB stick, but there are also numerous games that don't allow you to load the file on a different PlayStation using a different profile. Kind of stupid, really.

Having online-profiles and online game-saves would go a long way in solving this.

Does anyone know if the PS4 will support online saving of game data? This really needs to come - I just noticed it again on the weekend when I took my game to my sisters place and wanted to show her a few scenes from the game or continue playing it there. It would be so convinient to just go there, log in to my profile and load the game-save directly from there.

Makes me wonder why this hasn't been done before, given it was so easy to take the game-save-card on the old consoles to your friends place. This has been somewhat lost in this generation, which is a pitty. Yes, I know you can actually copy your save-file onto a USB stick, but there are also numerous games that don't allow you to load the file on a different PlayStation using a different profile. Kind of stupid, really.

Having online-profiles and online game-saves would go a long way in solving this.

PlayStation Plus has cloud saving.
Whether PS4 will have cloud saving as premium service or as the standard is hard to tell.

FWIW, I remember one of the Sony execs mentioned that the controller light is for player identification only. The color light may not used in the same manner as the Move controller light ball.

I don't think that's accurate:

The light bar is a full-color-range LED and can change color for gameplay.

That's along the lines of every other official statement I've heard about the Light Bar on the controller.

Phil I believe the game save locks exist because of the trophy system which pulls data from the saves. If you took your save to a friend's and could employ it on their gamer profile then they could potentially have all your trophies, hence the savefiles being locked to the user account and some files also being locked to a single machine.

I'd imagine on PS4, since the system would be able to handle multiple profiles logged in concurrently then if you could load your game save to your controller and then just sign-in to your profile on your friend's machine. Alternatively you could just stream your game to your mate's PS4 from the comfort of your own place, and I'd imagine that if you owned a vita, using remote play over the internet you could remotely turn on your system from your mate's place, setup the gaikai stream to his PS4, and then hand over control to his PS4 using the functionality described during the reveal conference.

The more you think about it, the more the potential for these features become apparent.

EDIT:
Sorry Cjail I just re-ren the post you were replying to and actually I think you did answer Phil's question about cloud saves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's accurate:

That's along the lines of every other official statement I've heard about the Light Bar on the controller.

Ha ha my fault. I meant using the light bar for absolute positioning. One of the Sony execs mentioned that the PSEye alone can locate the player position albeit with less accuracy.

The developers can use the DS4 light bar for anything they want, including muzzle flare, player identification, in-game control, ...

Incidentally, this would be a good time to ask Sony about upgrading PSN accounts from sub-account to full account. Can someone tell Sony ?

Ha ha my fault. I meant using the light bar for absolute positioning. One of the Sony execs mentioned that the PSEye alone can locate the player position albeit with less accuracy.

The developers can use the DS4 light bar for anything they want, including muzzle flare, player identification, in-game control, ...

Incidentally, this would be a good time to ask Sony about upgrading PSN accounts from sub-account to full account. Can someone tell Sony ?

I see what you mean now.

Where's Dr. Mark? Why wasn't he doing a standalone presentation at GDC about the PS4 Eye? Would seem to be the perfect venue for him, far more fitting than E3.

I have mixed feelings about Dr. Marks' presentations. On one hand, it's tech demo time (Yay!). On the other, it's about user experience and the games. I am also amused that at one point, Dr. Marks implied casually that Anton is better (more natural, comfortable) than him in stage demoes.

In any case, the thing is most of the tech demoes didn't end up in a good game, which is a [strike]shame[/strike] crime. This is of course not his fault but the higher management on the game side of business.

I think Sony should demo the tech concepts in a real game (like what Perry and Cerny kinda did). Deliver the blow, then if necessary, bring the duo out to explain the tech and vision. Perhaps E3 ? I doubt we have heard the last of PSEye and Move. The DS4 is said to have some secret.

I do miss those guys in some ways. ^_^ I need to see another Tank demo equivalent gem from the team. How 'bout go kick PS Home's *ss (for me !) ? It's stagnant there. Wasting a perfectly good concept and opportunity.

In Europe, there are more PS folks playing SingStars and other more casual titles.

PSEye is just a natural next step for their EyeToy. If modern devices like cellphones and TV has a webcam, it should not be a surprise to find a gaming-oriented webcam on the Playstation (Vita has one for AR too !)

They will want whatever games/apps that use a camera on their platform as well.

What's more, they are the maker of Exmor.

EDIT: I vaguely remember Phil Harrison said Sony considered bundling PSEye with the PS3 but decided to wait one more gen for the technologies to mature.

Richard Leadbetter's has come up trumps, providing by far the most detailed picture yet. Some choice points:

• More accurate six-axis motion detection (accel. + gyro) than DS3 and Vita
  • Two point 1920x900 touch pad
  • Improved thumbstick accuracy
  • Lower latency input (partly achieved by going to digital buttons, although how much difference can sending 7 bytes versus 16 bytes or whatever really make?)
  • Headsets included as standard. I think my dream of holoaccoustic audio is a no go. :( Sounds like just chat. 32 kHz for two players, dropping slightly for more. The microphone is 16 kHz. seems other reports muddled the numbers
  • 720p cameras at 60 fps 12 bit depth, can be pushed to 240 fps at lower resolutions
  • wider camera FOV (85 degrees) than PSEye. Clips on top of TV
There's a little more CPU+GPU info that's more appropriate in the Hardware thread.

BTW Shifty Geezer you were right about the buttons: they opted for digital buttons because almost no dev used analogical buttons.

Lower latency input (partly achieved by going to digital buttons, although how much difference can sending 7 bytes versus 16 bytes or whatever really make?)

It could just be that the buttons can make the state transition faster physically, since they only have two very distinct levels. The same may go to removing whatever logic was being used to interpret and smooth the analog inputs.

Analog buttons require ADC conversion, which is usually done by successive approximation and takes time.
On most microcontrollers you also only have a single actual ADC and it's multiplexed between the inputs which would further slow it down.
To be clear I have never looked at what's inside a dual shock or looked at the firmware, but my experience with microcontrollers is that digital inputs are orders of magnitude faster than analog ones.

Some of the confusion may be due to the fact that indeed the new Dual Shock controllers are limited for some usages that the move controller isn't, just due to the physical design. For example, you won't use the DS while standing up and swinging swords and such, because as soon as you rotate the controller away from the camera the camera won't see the light bar, whereas the move controller has a sphere that can be seen from all directions (not obstructed by the controller its self).

But how the DS is used is up to the developer, which is the right decision.

Analog buttons require ADC conversion, which is usually done by successive approximation and takes time.
On most microcontrollers you also only have a single actual ADC and it's multiplexed between the inputs which would further slow it down.
To be clear I have never looked at what's inside a dual shock or looked at the firmware, but my experience with microcontrollers is that digital inputs are orders of magnitude faster than analog ones.
Surely that won't affect the analogue triggers or sticks though. I imagined the whole input data was bundled up and sent as a controller state. Would the analogue buttons have an accumulated latency (10 extra AD conversions) even if not being pressed? I can see that reducing latency if so.

They can provide a clicky feel like the Vita dpad too.
On that subject, ahs anyone heard what exactly the nature of the depressible touchpad is? Does the whole thing depress as a large button, or is the surface flexible and depressible? :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back