So, MuFu, Now that R300 is not longer a mystery...

The cores could be clocked higher (RV250 seems to have been kept artificially low) and/or they could be a 4x2 pipe/tmu arrangement.

Yes, but why doing this when you can get the same by clocking an existing chip lower? No new design, no $$$ for XX engineers doing another complex hardware implementation, no $$$ for TSMC for another masking/prototyping session ....

Doing a new chip only makes sense if the market you targed at is a very high volume market. A $299 product doesn't fit there.

Little quote from Dave Orton over cocktails in the Cirque room : Radeon 9700 ( I substituted the word R300 in the conversation) is very nice, but for me $399 is a bit too much for a videocard to make any kind of penetration in the market. When might we see a card under $199 with all of the DX9 features

A: First half next year. Maybe as early as Spring (

Yes, but why doing this when you can get the same by clocking an existing chip lower?

Because the economies of the chip may not scale to the lower end particularily well. i.e. - this thing is big: its expensive silicon, expensive board, expensive cooling, expensive packaging; even with the cost of everything you state there may well still be more room in the margins if they make a new chip to cut down on these areas. Think about it - R300 is on the same process as R200, made less than a year ago; although I'll wager process stability has settle prices downward a little they still basically have (I assume) double the wafer costs for each R300 core -- is that feasible to sell at the price Radeon 8500 was introduced at? (and thats discounting the other elements)

ben6 said:
Little quote from Dave Orton over cocktails in the Cirque room : Radeon 9700 ( I substituted the word R300 in the conversation) is very nice, but for me $399 is a bit too much for a videocard to make any kind of penetration in the market. When might we see a card under $199 with all of the DX9 features

A: First half next year. Maybe as early as Spring (

Radeon 9700 -> $399
Radeon 9500 -> $299
the product Mr. Orton is talking about coming next spring: -> $199

The Radeon 9500 is still an expensive, relativly low volume product, while future products coming in spring target for the mainstream (and therefore need a cut down core to reach that price tag).

The number of pipes is just to enhance speed, and has nothing to do with DX9 compliancy. You could have a single pipe DX9 compliant chip.

Back