News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what PS4 would be like if they had gone with nVidia.
From past Xbox and PS3 deals, nVidia's terms seem rather rigid.

What high volume consumer devices are using nVidia GPU these days ?

Hmm, yeah. PR waffle IMO. What could nVidia offer regards x86 CPU and DX11 class GPU? They'd leave both MS and Sony looking for a CPU, which means Intel or AMD (or VIA). Both Sony and MS had experience dealing with nVidia, and I doubt either was particularly enthusiastic with the results. I expect if they went to nVidia, it was with a view to a bargain. "If nVidia offer us a really good deal, maybe. Otherwise we'll take the all-in-one offering from AMD." And as nVidia are doign fine in the PC space and fighting for the tablet space, it's not in their interests. So the lack of nVidia in either next-gen console is a matter of mutual disinterest IMO. nVidia wouldn't say anything about it if not asked.

D^8

Took me a while to recall what that is. ^_^

I think in general some Windows RT and Android devices.

Tegra 3 has been a popular choice in the tablet market, and I have to admit that it performs pretty well (based on the use of a TF300). But the whole THD marketing jobby sucks big time. And the whole NV thing about saying that the market choice for the console platform will not affect them is just bizarre. If the majority of developers swap to AMD as a baseline for GPU programming then the TressFX thing will soon be more than just an annoyance.

Volumes are much greater in mobile devices.

NV apparently has bet the company on mobile being the way to growth, not consoles.

It's a textbook example of sour grapes.
I guess AMD offered Sony a greater value for a better price. Nvidia spin this to Sony wasn't willing to pay what it's worth and we didn't want the contract anyway.
Obviously Sony negotiated with both companies and took the best deal for the most fitting technology, what else can it be?

Reading the quote I doubt the interviewee was even privy to whether negotiations even took place.
He makes statements like "I'm sure there was a negotiation", rather than just stating there was a negotiation, he's speculating. He's just trying to dismiss any implication that the reasons to go with AMD were based on technical merit.
A fairly typical PR spin.

There is a lot of talk about global economic recession. I have not seen any figures that support that though....

Whoever you're referring to is probably pointing to the risk of a global double-dip recession following the severe downturn in 2007. Certain major economies are currently in a Great Depression-like slump, others have seen weak growth and are in danger of double/triple dipping, etc. You can find economic information like estimates of GDP and projected levels of unemployment below.

http://www.imf.org/external/index.htm
http://www.cbo.gov/like
http://www.cao.go.jp/index-e.html

I don't think there's a huge problem though with the consoles. I think if the value proposition is there, then they can sell out/sell quite a few systems even with the global economy on shaky ground. If consoles (MS/Sony) can compete with the hype and consumer attention for tablets and phones, then they should be fine.

It's a textbook example of sour grapes.
I guess AMD offered Sony a greater value for a better price. Nvidia spin this to Sony wasn't willing to pay what it's worth and we didn't want the contract anyway.
Obviously Sony negotiated with both companies and took the best deal for the most fitting technology, what else can it be?
Agreed. Aside from that, what ERP said made total sense.

I'm pulling for AMD as much as the next guy, and always did, but it has nothing to do with the fact that those words make no sense to me. Either you are sure about making such a statement or you aren't.

See what happened with NVidia and their precarious treatment to developers Crystal Dynamics.

Was it the cause the fact that they supported Tress FX? I dunno, but talks about NVidia lack of friendliness.

Whoever you're referring to is probably pointing to the risk of a global double-dip recession following the severe downturn in 2007. Certain major economies are currently in a Great Depression-like slump, others have seen weak growth and are in danger of double/triple dipping, etc. You can find economic information like estimates of GDP and projected levels of unemployment below.

http://www.imf.org/external/index.htm
http://www.cbo.gov/like
http://www.cao.go.jp/index-e.html

I don't think there's a huge problem though with the consoles. I think if the value proposition is there, then they can sell out/sell quite a few systems even with the global economy on shaky ground. If consoles (MS/Sony) can compete with the hype and consumer attention for tablets and phones, then they should be fine.

Plus, the 360 and PS3 were still both selling for $300+ during the peak of the recession in the US in 2008-2009. I often wonder if Microsoft and Sony didn't both collectively wait an extra 1-2 years because of the recession.

I think it's best if we leave the nVidia nonsense PR out of the thread, and stick to Orbis rumours and Sony/AMD nonsense PR. Discussion of PR just creates noise unless we get a technical snippet.

(GuestLV's post removed)

I think it's best if we leave the nVidia nonsense PR out of the thread, and stick to Orbis rumours and Sony/AMD nonsense PR. Discussion of PR just creates noise unless we get a technical snippet.

(GuestLV's post removed)

Can we leave out all the depression nonsense as well?

The PS4 is apparently the most anticipated console of all time and has unprecedented levels of demand, according to MCV.

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases...ted-rsquo-console-release-of-all-time/0112499
Daft survey. Voucher sites didn't exist for PS2, and weren't that popular when PS3 or XB360 launched. Heck, his website has only been registered since 2012! It's certainly one I haven't heard of. There's no denying there's a lot of interest, but this story is there only for PR for a company that can't spell its name right in the copyright notice at the bottom of the page. ;)

Hmm, yeah. PR waffle IMO. What could nVidia offer regards x86 CPU and DX11 class GPU? They'd leave both MS and Sony looking for a CPU, which means Intel or AMD (or VIA). Both Sony and MS had experience dealing with nVidia, and I doubt either was particularly enthusiastic with the results. I expect if they went to nVidia, it was with a view to a bargain. "If nVidia offer us a really good deal, maybe. Otherwise we'll take the all-in-one offering from AMD." And as nVidia are doign fine in the PC space and fighting for the tablet space, it's not in their interests. So the lack of nVidia in either next-gen console is a matter of mutual disinterest IMO. nVidia wouldn't say anything about it if not asked.

It's probably not only that AMD was able to deliver a very cost-effective "all-in-one" solution - they had the key prospect of a neat HSA implementation, too. Going with an Nvidia solution for the GPU part would probably have made efficient compute context switching etc. a lot more difficult.

As for Nvidia betting the farm on mobile devices - I don't see them standing any reasonable chance against ARM and ImgTec IPs in the long run (especially given that both of those companies happily jumped on AMD's HSA train already).

With the market for discrete GPUs slowly diminishing into a Fusion of thin air and mobile devices being owned by more flexible and specialized IP designers, Nvidia will probably soon be reduced to making Tesla cards for super computers and professional compute applications in general (which is where they can make most of their money anyway).

I don't see many PVR devices outside of Vita and Apple. Tegra certainly has a lot more prominence in Android devices, along with Mali and Snapdragon - almost every Android device I read about is one of those three, but never anything ImgTec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back