News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even have the highest cable tier these days, but I'm getting 7.5MB/s from providers like Steam and that's probably faster than the memory card in my Vita, and it beats 'next gen' optical media already. The trick of course as always is to provide a continuous stream of such data to a large number of people. ;)

Hahahaha...

Yeah, I think that's a bit of an understatement that it'll be a challenge. 100 GB is a large chunk of something like Comcast's 250 GB monthly bandwidth softcap. They won't disconnect your service as long as the trunk serving your neighborhood isn't saturated, but if multiple people start attempting to download 4k movies, it's going to be a problem.

You can ask Digi about how Comcast liked his download habits. :D

I'm going to guess 100 GB will be something in the 80-90 minute range. Something like an extended Lord of the Rings might be 200+ GB.

I have a feeling the 4k movie market is going to be significantly smaller than the 3D movies market.

Regards,
SB

I hope they market a non compromise high quality 4K service, i am fed up with highly compressedvaselined streaming services that claim they provide high quality. It's become a contest of compression and hiding artifacts in a blur.

I am not even sure i would be able to afford it, but i would like to have something to desire and dream about :)

I don't even have the highest cable tier these days, but I'm getting 7.5MB/s from providers like Steam and that's probably faster than the memory card in my Vita, and it beats 'next gen' optical media already. The trick of course as always is to provide a continuous stream of such data to a large number of people. ;)

x6 bluray is 27MB/s [216mbits]

7.5MB/s is effectively 60+Mbps Connection (most likely 80mbps/100mbps)。
Pretty much top of the line considering most people don't have Gigabit Ethernet running in their houses.

I imagine the kind of person who buys a $30K 4K television in the first year of commercial availability is not the kind of person worried about a data cap from Comcast.

You just reminded me of double barrel "Shot-Gun" internet from the old days.

You know...I suppose a cheap fix could be a 4K converter box/card and 4 HDTV projectors matched up. How about spending $4K for a 4K display?

Sony is selling away their hq buildings - US hq at $ 1.1 billion and TOKYO at $1.2 billion . Can we assume that sony is preparing for a hit on ps4 launch ? like if the ps4 does launch for 300-350 - sony could take about $100-200 loss for about 2 years but should be a runaway success with the ps4 . Will this benefit sony in the long run ?

Sony is selling away their hq buildings - US hq at $ 1.1 billion and TOKYO at $1.2 billion . Can we assume that sony is preparing for a hit on ps4 launch ? like if the ps4 does launch for 300-350 - sony could take about $100-200 loss for about 2 years but should be a runaway success with the ps4 . Will this benefit sony in the long run ?

Sony had 11B in cash and cash equivalents 1 year ago. That alone could bankroll any loss they wanted to take on the PS4. It's probably a broader move to inject cash into all their businesses and return the whole company to profitability. I'm sure they're prepared to take some loss on the PS4, but I would be shocked if it's $100 or more.

With 12x Blu-ray drives being on the market...

PS4, how much longer is a 6x drive supposed to endure use? 54MB/sec would be great.
Also I thought Continuous Angular Speed meant there was no change from inside to outside edge.

~ It seemed a lot cooler when PS2 devs were placing data on the edge for higher read speeds.

PS4, how much longer is a 6x drive supposed to endure use? 54MB/sec would be great.
Also I thought Continuous Angular Speed meant there was no change from inside to outside edge.

~ It seemed a lot cooler when PS2 devs were placing data on the edge for higher read speeds.

I haven't heard good things about 12x drives, I would prefer the launch PS4 to be quiet than have an increase in read speed.

6x is a good speed.

What's the need for a higher speed drive when you have mandatory installs?

What's the need for a higher speed drive when you have mandatory installs?

Great Point. ~ I'm still stuck on the idea, that to keep MS from scabbing new buyers, there needs to be a PS4 with 8GB of Flash Card and nothing more. ~ I know that doesn't fit with the public info. But it makes a lot of sense to me...with my very limited understanding of consumer budgets.

(No more $600 base model console launches. The mass market can only survive so many Neo-Geo's)

Great Point. ~ I'm still stuck on the idea, that to keep MS from scabbing new buyers, there needs to be a PS4 with 8GB of Flash Card and nothing more. ~ I know that doesn't fit with the public info. But it makes a lot of sense to me...with my very limited understanding of consumer budgets.

(No more $600 base model console launches. The mass market can only survive so many Neo-Geo's)

I don't think that's a viable launch model with games possibly being 30gb or greater and a suitable hard drive of 500GB or more probably costing them $30 to $40 at most.

I just hope they keep user swappable HDDs. By the time this console is nearing the end of its lifespan, SSDs will be quite affordable per GB and many may opt for those.

Faster mandatory installs?

Oh you. I think the game start on a partial install (or download) is the way they get around this. My guess is higher speed drive, aside from costing more, has higher failure and damage rate.

Faster mandatory installs?

Goodness. ~ Meant to write,No Mandatory Installs~! ~ With 8GB I had pictured direct streaming and buffering to the GDDR5. Why double handle and slow the machine reaching the first boot screen? ~ Do the install in the background. Every penny helps.

anexanhume,
Xbox skipped having HD-DVD for less of a price difference than suggested. What $20 more?

So if a the least expensive notebook drive costs $50... then would $4 of 8GB Flash be smarter?
***egg.com/Laptop-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-380?Order=PRICE

Some article mentioned that the OS will cache BR assets to the HDD where necessary (when they are read). If they want an instant gaming experience, they probably will have a system to do quick partial install and background caching, like Ratchet and Clank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back