News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's PS3 specific. We can't watch high quality PS Meeting presentation on Vita or PSP also. We will have to watch these HD videos from Vita/PC/PS3/Mac YouTube. Sony did not give us a way to download the video from PSN. They also didn't consolidate the presentation video links after the event.

For cross game chat, we heard there was a prototype. It was abandoned for some reasons. And we did get new web browser and other apps, along with other stuff like PS+ (reborned from Pulse) and the new store. Even PS Home is updated pretty regularly and shifted to server-based architecture during the last month. RemotePlay was also updated. And of course, old services like Life from PS got retired. Moving forward, I think they will focus more on server side improvements since they may be visible from Vita and PS4 also.

PS3 YouTube app can play > 360p videos. At least I can watch 720p ones in my favorites.

It's probably easier to have the PS Blog and PS+ teams take better care of the user base. They already have everything they need to distribute the HD PS Meeting video to existing PS3 owners.

Heck, they even sent me $10 credit for PSN 2 weeks ago.

The Youtube app is available in 19 countries, but not in the Netherlands apparently.

The PSN store is terrible. It's slow and you can't find anything. The new web browser isn't very good either, and since websites need recent updates to things like Flash, ect, the web browser is getting worse everyday.

PS+ is nice, no complains there. Although I bet other countries want some of the stuff Europe gets.

I thought the new store works better than the old one ? Yes it's slower like a web page, but better organized. Search works better too. Is European PSN well organized ?

The WebKit browser works much better than the old one. But not up to standard with the latest, and not as usable as touch devices. Flash is an Adobe issue. I think on Vita, Sony also haven't gotten it running there.

I think the YouTube app has a newer WebKit engine, possibly WK2, compared to the web browser. Can you download it from UK PSN ?

If it gets too complex, I wonder if it's feasible to just stream a WebKit session to PS3 from Gaikai... for PS+ users for instance.

The Youtube app is available in 19 countries, but not in the Netherlands apparently.

The PSN store is terrible. It's slow and you can't find anything. The new web browser isn't very good either, and since websites need recent updates to things like Flash, ect, the web browser is getting worse everyday.

PS+ is nice, no complains there. Although I bet other countries want some of the stuff Europe gets.

I was just looking for the Youtube app on my livingroom PS3 but couldn't find it either - Netherlands also. Completely don't get it, as I have the youtube app on any other device. Maybe just a mistake.

If it gets too complex, I wonder if it's feasible to just stream a WebKit session to PS3 from Gaikai... for PS+ users for instance.
Gaikai needs to be proven to work. Certainly a sluggish, streamed webpage from a server would be 10x faster than PS3's browser (and that's the updated one!).

I thought the new store works better than the old one ? Yes it's slower like a web page, but better organized. Search works better too. Is European PSN well organized ?

I think it's poorly organised. I need to scroll through it way to far to find the things I want, and I only scroll that far because I know it's supposed to be there. Now I just use the search function immediately. It's nice but we shouldn't have to need it to find the latest additions.

I was just looking for the Youtube app on my livingroom PS3 but couldn't find it either - Netherlands also. Completely don't get it, as I have the youtube app on any other device. Maybe just a mistake.

I actually just found it. It's not in the PSN store where you might expect it. Instead you have download it from the XMB. It's under "TV/Video Services" and then "My Channels".

Gaikai needs to be proven to work. Certainly a sluggish, streamed webpage from a server would be 10x faster than PS3's browser (and that's the updated one!).

Yes, that's my guess too. Not just faster but newer and supports Flash too. The economics of it needs to make sense at the same time.

I think it's poorly organised. I need to scroll through it way to far to find the things I want, and I only scroll that far because I know it's supposed to be there. Now I just use the search function immediately. It's nice but we shouldn't have to need it to find the latest additions.

Yeah, I have read horror stories about PSN store organization in GAF. Those operational issues need to be cleaned up at the same time. It is quite trivial to distribute the Playstation Meeting video link to all of us via the XMB inbox, or to update the PS Meeting live streaming web page with recorded video links elsewhere.

I actually just found it. It's not in the PSN store where you might expect it. Instead you have download it from the XMB. It's under "TV/Video Services" and then "My Channels".

If you use the web browser to go to youtube.com, it should also redirect you to the YouTube app download link automatically.

Segueing from youtube apps, I just experienced the PS4 ad on youtube (it played before a video I was watching, completely non-gaming related - youtube appears to know me too well). Very nicely done, feels quite epic. Certainly way better than the creepiest baby in the world ads from the PS3 era.

http://youtu.be/x7QhUL8NUK4

Yeah... Was a little surprised and irritated that the PS Meeting stream just loops around on the official link. I couldn't forward or rewind to the segment I wanted to check out.

They are probably trying to save money for the launch since we can access HD videos elsewhere. I'm alright with it as long as they invest the $$$ wisely.

I downloaded the YT one from the official PS YT.

It's 2 GB, not great quality even though it says 720p bit good enough. Used Firefox downloadhelper.

GameSpot also has a 3 GB version.

Helpful when you want to remember exactly what they said and catch unique clips to the conference.

^glad to know their advertising agency is doing their job this time around.

Edit

Also yes totally agree with interface improvements. Sony has to compete with the sense of instant gratification of phones.

That means they need a fast browser and seamlessly integrated communication and store features.

Flash support can only be a plus if the browser is capable and fast. I would love to play Kingdom Rush from the comfort of my couch.

Kentucky too 50Mbit ($50 month) ~ or ~ Hong Kong 1,000Mbits! ($215 month)
~ EDIT: God bless... Verizon, is moving toward 1Gbit internet stateside?

It's good that the social gaming aspect of sharing and taking turns on a video game is coming back, to what people call, Console Video gaming. ~ I don't believe consoles.... are a consolation pc like some technologists originally thought. If anything they offers GREAT FREEDOM than a PC. You sit down to have fun, not get tied into channel flipping on the internet.

Does anyone here remember playing.. NES) Battle Toads, Ninja Gaiden, Skate or Die, California Games; PS2) ONE, Tricky SSX, Intelligence Cube? ~ You would take turns to see how far you could get. Now Sony is letting you Play with FRIENDS and enjoy REVISITING THOSE experiences with other, NEW PEOPLE, all over again. ~ It seem like games related to creating friendships instead of competing to kill each other online, will drive people wanting faster internet connections?

Cool, Right? ~ Maybe I should call it Play4? instead of PlayStation 4? What sort of Game would you share on a Play 4 with someone of the opposite sex?

4k movies on the PS4

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/4...ll-work-with-ps4-require-100gb-plus-downloads

Guess i will have to upgrade to a 4K projector and keep the old one alive until the prices drop :-/

Hahahaha...

Molyneux said that typical 4K movies would be "100 gigabytes and plus" depending on length, and added that file size and average broadband speeds are "challenges that we have to work through... we've got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience."

Yeah, I think that's a bit of an understatement that it'll be a challenge. 100 GB is a large chunk of something like Comcast's 250 GB monthly bandwidth softcap. They won't disconnect your service as long as the trunk serving your neighborhood isn't saturated, but if multiple people start attempting to download 4k movies, it's going to be a problem.

You can ask Digi about how Comcast liked his download habits. :D

I'm going to guess 100 GB will be something in the 80-90 minute range. Something like an extended Lord of the Rings might be 200+ GB.

I have a feeling the 4k movie market is going to be significantly smaller than the 3D movies market.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back