News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paid online, screw that.

Yes I have ps+ but I find the idea of paying for a game and then paying again I order to play it disgusting. Then sell me a cheap non mulltiplayer version aka a used version. I guess I will need to build a dedicated pc for my big screen setup.

I only care about free stuff, I'd quite happily never play online, I rarely do now and it's free and if there is voice chat I very quickly search for the mute button.

... if there is voice chat I very quickly search for the mute button.

Same here !

I'd wait for more info. If they include dedicated server MP with clan management (like RFOM), spectating, streaming games, and other Playstation Plus goodies, then I probably don't mind. Those things take up server resources that need to be accounted for. I'm kinda wondering if Kotaku is accurate in its reporting (e.g., Whether it's sharing game video or real-time spectating).

However, I do hope they keep basic online gaming free somehow.

I hope basic multiplayer remains free. I also hope they go 399/499 instead of 429/529... even though it's not much less, it just seems like it's considerably less.

I do like the controller, though... it's pretty much exactly what I would want the DS4 to be.

Gah... rumored price range is too wide: $350/$430 - $429/$529
Not as consistent as the technical rumors we heard so far. Where did they pull the numbers from ?

Sony better do a stellar demo tomorrow if they want people to pay for MP. ^_^

They also need to rationalize Playstation World pricing against the online passes.

It appears that the Xperia<->Playstation interoperability that I've been preaching for a while has now become a rumour from a "trusted source" at Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-th...d-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

New information revealed by our source suggests that on top of all that, you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine, our source says.

and here's my post from 2 weeks ago:

Wait.. could this Kotaku source actually be me?!

BTW, the same source also says they won't mention prices until later this year, and that there will be two SKUs at launch. I'm sure that at least this isn't coming from me. Not that I know of, at least.

Paid online, screw that.

Yes I have ps+ but I find the idea of paying for a game and then paying again I order to play it disgusting. Then sell me a cheap non mulltiplayer version aka a used version. I guess I will need to build a dedicated pc for my big screen setup.

The no used games thing will be a 90% dealbreaker for me.

If they add pay to play online, that's another 90% dealbreaker.

I'll take a look at the Steam box then, though I'm not a fan of PC games genres.

Otherwise, I'll look for other entertainment, including mobile games. Got a lot of movies to catch up with.

Interoperability the other way with tablets and phones would also be interesting.

Let them pair the DS4 with mobile devices and publish an SDK to support it. Charge licensing to mobile games developers to support a widely available controller.

The no used games thing will be a 90% dealbreaker for me.

If they add pay to play online, that's another 90% dealbreaker.

I'll take a look at the Steam box then, though I'm not a fan of PC games genres.

Otherwise, I'll look for other entertainment, including mobile games. Got a lot of movies to catch up with.

U could remove a significant volume of used games by offering a robust digital download service. U could even provide a mechanic where u charge a gamer an additional fee to activate optical based used titles. Wholesale banning of used titles makes little sense because we have no ideal how it will affect the overall market. To try to eliminate such a viable marketplace for consumers outright could have drastic consequences.

A fully servicing digital market place makes price cutting flexible to the point it may disrupt the used games sales market without upsetting consumers.

Interoperability the other way with tablets and phones would also be interesting.

Let them pair the DS4 with mobile devices and publish an SDK to support it. Charge licensing to mobile games developers to support a widely available controller.

Interoperability across the android ecosystem would be a better choice. Limiting that functionality to xperia products would be like limiting itunes to macs. Xperia could be served by providing a richer experience versus non sony android based products, but taping into a userbase of 100s of millions users is bound to be more fruitful than taping into a userbase of 10s of million.

Sony better do a stellar demo tomorrow if they want people to pay for MP. ^_^.

If the competition is coming as weak as the rumors suggest, Sony will have all the right in the world to charge for MP. Especially if they provide feature parity (which shouldn't be an issue at this point).

I don't think sony will charge for MP, what will happen to Vita MP?

Vita would stay free, because that ecosystem is already in play.

I'm still of the opinion that Sony looks at Live revenue and drools a bit, if MP gaming is the best carrot to get there why not? Most people won't notice a few $ a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back