Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're on the right track ...

Theres an NDA which will come up on the 20th ...

The improvements are such that it warranted a leap to DX12 not Dx11.3x ..

It took a while for the Software to catch up with what is already shipped in the HW..

So there is some bit of hardware that for some explicit reason was impossible to expose when you had complete control over the box?.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're on the right track ...

Theres an NDA which will come up on the 20th ...

The improvements are such that it warranted a leap to DX12 not Dx11.3x ..

It took a while for the Software to catch up with what is already shipped in the HW..

+1
Im sure theres somthing really cool about xbox one on the 20th.

+1
Im sure theres somthing really cool about xbox one on the 20th.

And if there's no confirmation on the 20th, I assume all of the rumours about extra hardware will end? I tell you what, I'll apologise profusely and buy an Xbox One the same day if your rumours turn out to be true. Deal?

I think the Xbone will support DX12 in order to enable this new feature so we can use it as a water cooler as promised during its initial reveal.

Some of the assumptions here are amusing and priceless. There's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread.

If a dev got a dollar for every nop...
...the CPU would have very little to do outside of fetching instructions.

Also, hyperinflation would obliterate the dollar in moments.

But the Xbox One's 8-core CPU architecture would briefly look somewhat attractive, with it's presumably very high nop throughput.

No.Also no.And no again.

I think that settles it.

DX12 is a transfer of tech and advancements made for the XB1 API back into the mainline PC DirectX. I'll be interested to see if this will complicate things for developers at all as I had always assumed that low level tricks had to have a fixed hardware target. With the wild proliferation of varying SPU and ALU and RAM variations between cards how can you take advantage of going deeper than current APIs? Or will it be a situation analogous to what Nvidia and AMD do with game specific driver tweaks per game release now and does that increase the cost of driver development? Anyway I've probably strayed OT for the console forum but DX12 would appear to have little to do with the XB1 beyond perhaps easing ports from the XB1 to the PC.

In fact, the API won’t have anything to do with increasing the resolution to whatever the standard is these days. However, what it can do is free up GPU resources through efficient hardware acceleration. So effects like ray tracing, superFog or whatever custom effects we may see down the line will be implemented and thus allow for an improved frame rate and resolution now that the GPU is free for those tasks.
http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-may-allo...ender-ray-tracing-superfog-and-custom-effects

I assume that's a 'no' then? You seem like a man that's unsure of their own adamant beliefs. Bizarre really. Instead, how about on the 20th/21st, you come and tell us how you were right all along and the Xbox One has some serious power and hidden (invisible?) hardware. Either that, or stay quiet and pretend it never happened.

I'm coming around to how Microsoft have designed their machine, it wasn't what I was expecting. If they can properly sort out the TV functions for Europe and drop the price to something reasonable, I might buy it. I do like the idea of a HDMI input, I guess that's piece of hardware that sets it apart.

"DX12 may allow XB1 to...Render Ray Tracing". :rolleyes:

What's the biggest addition of any DX regards performance? Very little. Truth is higher level DXs running on lower level DX hardware without hardware support for the new features only slow those GPUs down as they have to implement hardware features in software. And a reduction in API overhead shouldn't be affecting a console which should be using a tailor made lightweight version. And even if there is an overhead, it can't be that significant that the GPU can have enough resources released to implement some fabulous new whizzo-prang effects.

The 'best case' for DX12 to do something wonderful for XB1 is dependent on the DX11 on XB1 to be a bit crap and be bogging the platform down, which requires MS to have royally screwed up and been unable to write an efficient, low-level API for their console (unless they wanted a DX12 console and DX11 was a stop-gap, poorly written API, which is an idea unsupported by bkilian so I wouldn't believe that myself).

No.Also no.And no again.

I want to make this clear. I am not trying to claim any knowledge of what ms was thinking pre launch. You clearly have inside info from working on the audio block at one time.
I appreciate you clearing those points up but these were not the main point of my post.
Im not pushing any agenda of hidden hardware in the X1 or any kind of secret sauce.
The main point that I am making is that Ms is implying they are going to move to Dx12 on the Xbox one. Do you know if this is true?

If it is true then we are to except that the jump to a new genration of the api would provide no improvement whatsoever to the systems performance? Or the only way it would provide any performance at all is if they royaly screwed up the original Api for the Xbox one?

That would mean the only improvement for Dx period between 11.2 and 12 would be closer to the metal access for the pc and thats it? That would mean Dx 12 is a desperate reaction to mantle which isnt really all that successful to begin with. If thats the truth like everyone here seems to believe then why are Ms even trying to mention the xbox one along with Dx12?

I really appreciate the discussion everyone. Just know that I am not implying any sort of hidden hardware in the xbox one.

I really appreciate the discussion everyone. Just know that I am not implying any sort of hidden hardware in the xbox one.

...you just implied that there is a sort of hidden software architecture that will do X miracles/Y changes over the time in an already planned fashion.
The fact you cannot almost watch movies on launch XB1 doesnt mean anything to you, of course.

You dont define an architecture PLUS all his evolutions and migrations. You define ONE. And getting that to work is enough of a work for teams and teams.

The rest are not conjectures, but rather "talking without any knowledge on the subject", imho.
One architecture is enough, and the one of the xbone is rather complex enough.

Where did I say a secret software that would do miracles? First off all I said if they bring it to the xbox one. I said nothing of anybsort of miracles. I just think it is being a little hasty for everyone to act like they know exactly what Dx 12 is. Everytime they have released a new whole number version of Dx it has brought along with it several new features. I think its silly to think that this version will be different.

The rest are not conjectures, but rather "talking without any knowledge on the subject", imho.
One architecture is enough, and the one of the xbone is rather complex enough.[/QUOTE]

Oh so unlike everyone else discussing this subject here am I required to be a developer to talk about the hypothetical future of a future Api?

If im wrong thats fine no big deal. I never claimed to know what I was talking about.
I never claimed to be in the industry or to have any inside knowledge. Im just a gamer that has been paying attention to gaming technology for years. Im sorry if you have taken the things I have said the wrong way. I enjoy coming here to discuss things with smart people like yourself.

With all due respect to everyone here....

Granted you all may have unique experience in your fields regarding software or hardware ventures, you are all entitled to opinions and judgements and must be open to the fact that they may not always be right. Or rather, open to interpretation and scepticism.

Microsoft have been writing software since 1975 and are currently a billion dollar Corporation. Safe to say they know how to write software. So when I see comments from members about poorly written APIs, It is judgement on their part only, not on the knowledge at hand.

DirectX 12 discussion is speculation only, While it does interest me to read these comments, given that they may not always be correct, goes to show that there are exciting times ahead in the world of games.

I will be an avid reader of these comments once GDC arrives, The software at hand will hopefully give a clearer indication of the capabilities of the hardware.

Respect to you all,

Microsoft have been writing software since 1975

Respect to you all,

Well, that's beautifully worded statement - I give you that. I look forward to seeing Microsoft's miracle software coming out of GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back