Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
*ahem* Once again, no versus stuff which explicitly means no asking for others to make versus posts.

Yep, the mainboard is pretty much the same as the prototype minus the debug LEDs and various probe ports.

By the way, on the backside the memory address traces are clearly visible in four channel config.

Release XB1 teardown from NZ. Not hugely different to previous pictures.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Teardown/19718
Does the Xbox One have a speaker? I have never heard of it. I thought it was Kinect which had all the speakers, not the console itself.
nHM4VM61bXtP53GE.medium
[/U]
UIiqpoWdHleGqVmh.medium
BQnXsTEukoHhWLcu.medium
XflqQXWcDNICYqaO.medium
raoqR1wcMaBb6PPC.medium

Step 10

• This is interesting. And by interesting we mean unique. We've uncovered a speaker inside the Xbox One.

• We're happy that this speaker is held into place with a simple plastic bracket, no tools required.
The HD is this one, it has generally positive reviews. It's a SATA II.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289

Step 14

• Unfortunately, the Xbox One doesn't officially feature a replaceable hard drive—but then, we're not much for playing by the rules. Out it comes.

• Bad news: replacing the hard drive requires voiding the warranty. Good news: it's a standard 2.5 inch SATA II drive.

• Inside our Xbox One, we find a Samsung Spinpoint M8 ST500LM012 500 GB 5400 RPM with 8MB Cache SATA II 3.0Gb/s hard drive.

• Newegg seems to have favorable reviews of this drive.

Finally we see the heatsink correctly.

It's certainly a brute force design like a PC heatsink, reminiscent of the Scythe Shuriken. There's a high chance that the airflow will be biased towards the the edge, and the center with be inefficient because it has more air restriction. I think it's a complete waste of available space, but so much better than the original xbox.

The good thing is that with such a slim heatsink the 112mm fan won't have trouble with it's low static pressure. There's very little depth to go through and the fins are widely spaced. My wild guess would be less than 1000 RPM during media playback, and 1500 RPM while gaming. I hope someone will measure it.

I like how straightforward and simplified everything is laid out. It will make assembling/disassembling/servicing much easier. I wonder if the HDD is user upgradable without having to jump through hoops? I have a brand new Seagate 1TB SSHD drive waiting for a home.

As for the speaker it looks like it's designed to output more than just beeps like a buzzer. ;) I'm willing to bet it's there to offer customized voice and/or sound effects for future "special edition" models...like a Halo Edition, Star Wars Edition etc.:devilish:

A speaker in the console is the unique? How is the PS4 making it's beep sound?

Yes a speaker as opposed to a simple buzzer is actually unique in a console because it allows actual sound samples like speech to be output and not just beeps.
Fair enough! Shows what you what I know about sound reproduction!!! ;)

"Your Xbox One is overheating, please move it to an air-conditioned room." Sort of like when a Roomba gets stuck. ;)

There's a high chance that the airflow will be biased towards the the edge, and the center with be inefficient because it has more air restriction.
I don't think that's THAT much of a problem, because the heatsink has no baseplate. The fan can draw air anywhere straight through the sink except right under the fan motor hub. Of course, air pressure/flow will be greater towards the edges where the fan impeller's radial motion is faster.

I think it's a complete waste of available space, but so much better than the original xbox.
Use of internal space is awful, just awful. Such waste! MS could very very easily have fitted the PSU internally if they'd wanted.

Interesting tidbit: note the horizontal and vertical lettering and numbering along the edges of the PCB...

Also: no auxiliary RAM for a standby processor as found in PS4. If xbone has an auxiliary CPU, it either has its own integrated (S)RAM or uses the main APU's RAM.

Teardown shows a focus on cost. Microsoft focussed on the bottom line, which is a good thing. A byproduct seems to be a very simple cooling solution that is quiet, which is great for us. Only drawback is the size of the box.

Yes a speaker as opposed to a simple buzzer is actually unique in a console because it allows actual sound samples like speech to be output and not just beeps.
The speaker does not appear to be designed for any high fidelity sound playback, there's no resonance chamber or similar, meaning efficiency and frequency response will be very poor. It'll be good for beeps and boops like a PC speaker, but not much more...

I would've preferred they made the console wider instead deeper like they did, that way it would fit with my A/V components better.

The speaker does not appear to be designed for any high fidelity sound playback, there's no resonance chamber or similar, meaning efficiency and frequency response will be very poor. It'll be good for beeps and boops like a PC speaker, but not much more...

Who said anything about sound fidelity?:???: Point is it will be able to playback sampled speech and sound effects clearly which makes sense if you plan on offering special editions with sampled audio clips in the future. The speaker looks quite large too and it does seem to have a square port/chamber on one side. If it's ony good enough for beeps why not use a buzzer instead? Your logic makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

You sure? If you zoom in enough you can see 'Monster Audio'..

Teardown shows a focus on cost. Microsoft focussed on the bottom line, which is a good thing. A byproduct seems to be a very simple cooling solution that is quiet, which is great for us. Only drawback is the size of the box.

It's meant to be a Bluray CE component thing, not a console. In that sense it makes perfect sense. Of course STB boxes that look like that is very rare, most modern hifi components are not that size anymore etc etc. Another example of what I consider old thinking along with TV centric ideas.

That being said, it's perfect for me since I am the old school type with big hifi components.. :)

Typical of fanboys to make fun of stuff that wasn't included in their console of choice...

Special editions would just have a speaker instead,, they are special afterall :)
Rhis is just added costs, which is kind of weird considering everything else.

Maybe they planned something special with this that will show up later, we will see..
Customized sounds would be cool, still one of the best things about my star wars 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back