Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is the right thread for this.

Resident Evil Creator Says PS4 And Xbox One Are "Almost Identical"

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10...r-says-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-almost-identical/
No matter this proves true or not, it the first time we saw two systems coming from 2 different vendors that are this close: same CPU arch, same GPu arch (~), same amount of memory.
That is damned close to identical to me, even with mild difference in how they handle a given piece of code /games.

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter this proves true or not, it the first time we saw two systems coming for 2 different vendor that are this close: same CPU arch, same GPu arch (~), same amount of memory.

Yep, both have a blu-ray of similar speed/capacity, a hard-disk and auto-installation with an online store etc. They are very close in a lot of ways.

Having said that. This is a pretty weird quote, although perhaps translation may explain it, or there's some news incoming...
And when Xbox One was first announced it had lower specs than PS4, but now they’re almost identical.

Yep, both have a blu-ray of similar speed/capacity, a hard-disk and auto-installation with an online store etc. They are very close in a lot of ways.

Having said that. This is a pretty weird quote, although perhaps translation may explain it, or there's some news incoming...

I'd read it to mean, "performance is close enough," not that there is suddenly any change to the hardware.

The extra esram bandwidth is probably the main culprit of that with the upclocks making a small contribution as well.

Bandwidth and throughput are used interchangeably, even by engineers and professionals. I have a presentation by Herb Sutter in front of me who has bandwidth in bits/sec.

sort of ... kind of.....
i've used bandwidth for throughput a million times as well. its kind of just become accepted over time. Just the same way as we generally accept people saying pacific instead of specific etc.

thus the if you want to be an ass precursor to my post.

sort of ... kind of.....
i've used bandwidth for throughput a million times as well. its kind of just become accepted over time.
I've only ever heard of bandwidth relating to throughput in regards to buses. I think the word was hijacked early on, like the decimal prefixes being used on binary amounts.
Just the same way as we generally accept people saying pacific instead of specific etc.
Not on my watch! It's bad enough we have 'costumers' and 'lightning'. ;)

sort of ... kind of.....
i've used bandwidth for throughput a million times as well. its kind of just become accepted over time. Just the same way as we generally accept people saying pacific instead of specific etc.

thus the if you want to be an ass precursor to my post.

The use of the term bandwidth in a bit rate context seems to have come about due to the bitrate of a connection being proportionate to its signal bandwidth. I'm not sure of the historical reason, but maybe when talking in shorthand for specific implementations, it became faster to say bandwidth instead of bit rate at a specific bandwidth for a specific connection.

Pacific versus specific came up because of people eating lead paint.

But what about the Pizza motorway car analogies.. will they stay?

We really need to get our next gen in hand, don't we?

What about "for all intense and purposes"...?

Also I miss the overuse of the term "orthogonal" here on B3D...it seems to be out of fashion now?

What about "for all intense and purposes"...?

Also I miss the overuse of the term "orthogonal" here on B3D...it seems to be out of fashion now?
The one that bothers me, where I have to sit back and go "It's ok, they're not native english speakers, let it go" is "intensive" instead of "incentive". I see a lot of other word mixups like that, but it's incredibly minor, considering I wouldn't even be able to utter a single sentence in most of the folks making those mistakes home language.

The Prague track is the star of the show in F5 from what they have said. Numerous videos during e3 proved that the game does indeed look like that. In racing games, not all tracks have the same amount of polish or attention applied to them. And you are comparing a horribly compressed video to a press picture.

Besides, what technical discussion we are supposed to extrapolate from your statement is really beyond me. This does not belong here I don't think.

Besides, what technical discussion we are supposed to extrapolate from your statement is really beyond me. This does not belong here I don't think.

Correct. There is nothing technical to discuss from that, so it was removed. :)

17.9A @ 12V

Well not much new here for some time.

But we now have pictures of the Xbox One power supply and it is about 253W, 17.9A on 12V. (Also have 5V standby.) [The images posted by the guy who got it early from Target.]

Given the specs (small GPU?) I am a bit surprised the power supply is so big. It is even bigger than the launch Xbox 360 power supply which I think was 16.5A on 12V.

Is anyone else surprised at the high power consumption for a design based upon Jaguar, DDR3 and a small GPU? Is that why the heatsink and fan is so big? (Not just the stated interest in keeping it quiet.)

I will avoid an obvious comparison to a certain earlier FCC power supply posting but clearly it isn't the ODD or HDD causing the high power consumption.

Power supply max output rating != typical power consumption.

Also, 17.9A*12V = 214.8W

This is unchanged from previous discussion when PSU rating was discovered over a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back