Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/09/20/amd-livestream-gpu14/

"Things look vastly different on the gaming console side. AMD gained a clean sweep in Wii U with R700 shaders, PlayStation 4 with Sea Islands shaders, and Xbox One with Southern Islands shaders, along with Jaguar x86-64 CPU cores for the PlayStation 4 APU and Xbox One SoC, that means most of the AAA cross-platform titles will have the same starting line and a unified feature set on graphics capabilities. [Author's note: except for features enabled the eSRAM on Xbox One which some devs states it's "a pain to use the eSRAM".]"

So Microsoft was lying when they said both ps4 and xbox one use Sea Islands gpus?

Yes because semi-accurate couldn't be wrong. Has to be an engineer lying about the distinct origin of the part in his system he was describing in detail. :rolleyes:

So Microsoft was lying when they said both ps4 and xbox one use Sea Islands gpus?
Actually does it even make a difference?
Isn't Sea Island once again rebadging for the OEM market?

Have to admit I hadn't heard of Sea Islands, but that seems to be what they are.

Have to admit I hadn't heard of Sea Islands, but that seems to be what they are.

Where's the fun without the Secret Sauce(tm).

If MS is correct and each 2CU over 12 is worth less than an 7% upclock, couldn't we say an 18 CU XBO at 800 mhz would be less than 14% more GPU over 12 CU at 853?

Because they already claim to be >14CU after the upclock, and each additional 2CU should be worth <7% by their reckoning.

Going from 12 to 18 would be 3 factors of 6.625% (so 19.875%, not 14%). That would presumably be the upper limit on a performance boost.

Yes, whether it is surprising or not, the MS engineer let out the Xbox One GPU is based upon Sea Islands, :oops: which belongs to the AMD 8000 series and they haven't been launched yet. I think we should know more in a couple of days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Islands_(GPU_family)

I think you need to take into account the full context ... Meaning adding additional CUs with DDR3/sram bandwidth.

You have an entirely different context with adding CUs with GDDR5 bandwidth.

Not to mention the yield factor, if they did +2CU instead of upclock they suddenly lose there nice deactivated CU's and most likely gain a bit of heat, iirc (shot in the dark) a uplock at the same volt produces minimally if any more heat?. That could another factor as well.

Sounds like you could be MisterX :devilish:
*Waves* :D They might well be, MisterX is the most universal technical villain 3dilettante ever knew, and only if we are all really unite we could overthrow him by our Beyond3D pamphleteering.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the other guy can make millions more than you can at 18 cu...for 100 less, methinks neither yields nor costs are an issue.

they can't.

ps4 is costing sony money , xbox one is making Ms money and ms includes Kinect with the console at thep rice point. Ms could out price the ps4 if they reoved Kinect easily and you will see it quickly drop in price

I thought that the 7790 bonaire is sea islands. Im pretty sure it is.
Volcanic islands is coming later this week.
I coulf be wrong but im pretty sure the 7790 is sea islands

I thought that the 7790 bonaire is sea islands. Im pretty sure it is.
Volcanic islands is coming later this week.
I coulf be wrong but im pretty sure the 7790 is sea islands

Yes it is a sea islands product as opposed to a southern islands. Supposedly volcanic islands (Hawaii etc) will début this week. MS has a strange NDA timing. Penello said his engineers will reveal certain things this week and the timing of it is after the volcanic islands reveal. However, Bonaire was sold into the channel starting last March.

Why have an NDA on a part based on a part that's already been released 6 months earlier?

Doesn't the upclock help with triangle setup rate and fillrate, while the addtion CUs wouldn't have helped in this regard?

Yes the upclock does up the polygons to 1.71 billion and it also increased esram bandwidth.
If the ps4's gpu stays at 800mhz it will do 1.6 billion polys a second.its not a huge advantage in polys for the x1 but they wouldnt improve at all just activating 2cus

Yes it is a sea islands product as opposed to a southern islands. Supposedly volcanic islands (Hawaii etc) will début this week. MS has a strange NDA timing. Penello said his engineers will reveal certain things this week and the timing of it is after the volcanic islands reveal. However, Bonaire was sold into the channel starting last March.

Why have an NDA on a part based on a part that's already been released 6 months earlier?

The info albert was talking about from his engineers was the article on digital foundry yesterday.
In that article the ms tech guys said the gpu is from sea islands just like sony.
They did claim they altered the compute units in the gpu but gave no specifics.
They also said they had overhead in the cus for gpgpu.

With it coming straight from ms that the gpu is sea islands that rules out it being volcanic islands.
Now the alterations they claimed to make to the compite units could be from volcanic islands but they didnt specify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back