Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Leadbetter sits down with the XB1 hardware designers as gets answers.

eg. 15 CPU processors = "On the SoC, there are many parallel engines - some of those are more like CPU cores or DSP cores. How we count to fifteen: [we have] eight inside the audio block, four move engines, one video encode, one video decode and one video compositor/resizer," says Nick Baker.

So it's Bonaire, 14 CU. And the eSRAM has a much complex layout than what we speculated.

It's funny that we get so much insight in the working of the console and it's design only because the technical team was so pissed off to the internet haters . :D

:):)
The controversy surrounding ESRAM has taken the design team very much by surprise. The notion that Xbox One is difficult to work with is perhaps quite hard to swallow for the same team that produced Xbox 360 - by far and away the easier console to develop for, especially so in the early years of the current console generation.

"This controversy is rather surprising to me, especially when you view as ESRAM as the evolution of eDRAM from the Xbox 360.
Never, EVER, underestimate the aggregate stupidity on the internet. :)

Cheers

So astrograds occasional 7/8 theory was right after all?

Very good read. And I appreciate that MS is so open about their system...nice for us.

No, astrograd thought it was a quantum effect. MS says you can just take advantage of access patterns. It also mean the 204GB figure is basically a never thing.

No, astrograd thought it was a quantum effect. MS says you can just take advantage of access patterns. It also mean the 204GB figure is basically a never thing.

Theyre saying that any memory subsystem is never utilized 100%, not just theirs, so apply the same math across the board to all systems' memory.

Also, I'm not clear on if the box enabled the 14 CUs or they're there but they went with the upclock only. Sounds like just the upclock but then say that sony has 4 more CUs instead of 6.

Theyre saying that any memory subsystem is never utilized 100%, not just theirs, so apply the same math across the board to all systems' memory.

Also, I'm not clear on if the box enabled the 14 CUs or they're there but they went with the upclock only. Sounds like just the upclock but then say that sony has 4 more CUs instead of 6.

They say 2 remain disabled for redundancy. PS4 probably physically has between 20 and 22 CUs with some disabled for redundancy as well. They conveniently omit the cost portion of the cost/benefit analysis they describe when choosing between using all 14 CUs or going for a slight upclock.

If I'm understanding the article correctly, the peak bw number is for both read and write however individually you're capped at 109GB/s which suggest that to the degree you can balance out read and write the higher your aggregate b/w goes.

They cite 140 to 150GB/s as realistic targets but again you never do either activity at anything close to that speed. Perhaps its not too difficult to optimize but its not as straight forward as other design options either. Balance seems to be the key to their approach but I'd also say its fair to question how often you'll be b/w limited due to only being able to read (or write) at 109GB/s....

So from what I gather:

1) There's a crossbar in front of both DRAM and SRAM
2) You can page across both pools
3) eSRAM is banked, real life bw from 109GBps to ~150GBps
4) SI based GPU, 2 CUs disabled for yield
5) Claim raising 6% clock beats 2 additional CUs
6) Suggest compute on GPU will benefit from lower latency
7) Dynamic resolution HW scaler

So from what I gather:

Yep, for number 4 it looks nearly certain its based on the HD7790 its identical sans the memory controllers.

Yep, for number 4 it looks nearly certain its based on the HD7790 its identical sans the memory controllers.

Except it lacks the 7790's additional ACEs. And how many redundant CUs does the 7790 have disabled? Neither console is based directly on any discrete part from AMD.

Except it lacks the 7790's additional ACEs. And how many redundant CUs does the 7790 have disabled? Neither console is based directly on any discrete part from AMD.

The 7790 has 14CU's, disabling 2 brings you to 12CU's, it has the same amount of TMU's and ROPs. Its pretty damn close.

Let's have sense not to use MS engineers to provide understanding of PS4. Their comparisons are immaterial. The thing that matters is what their design is for their hardware as told by the people that made it. We then get Sony's design from Sony, and do the comparing ourselves without obvious bias towards the design that we made, which obviously the respective engineers will have (you won't get either side saying of the rival design, "gosh, that's agood idea. Wish we thought of that." ;))

So from what I gather:

I'd also add:

8) CPU bump important for maintaining stable real world framerates
9) New buffer formats

Didn't Cerny debunk this?
Yes and no. Cerny debunked the speculation that 14 CUs were dedicated to graphics and 4 were dedicated to GPGPU but Cerny's comments lend some credence that the PS4's balance is 14 CUs for graphics. Sony are banking on GPGPU being big in a few years and don't want developers to have to scale back graphics to free up CUs to the GPGPU work.

Obviously Microsoft believe GPGPU will get more use (hence, the "overhead") but less so than Sony. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back