Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that processing is done by the tablet device and only the basic game info is sent to/from the tablet. There is no remote rendering being done by Xbox console. Hence your confusion with power requirements.

Wait a moment. Do you want to imply that a smartglass device runs a "cut down" version of the game(The Division in this context) which covers top down drone perspective and they only sync the positions of dynamic elements? That's hard to believe because a 2nd render target sounds far less complex.

As far as we know it's 1.6Ghz.

I was just making a point that I wasn't worried about 1.6Ghz, as the PS4 wouldn't have a massive CPU advantage anyway.

Ok, sorry, I was confused because the PS4 FCC information (something like 2Ghz max).

Durango's CPU side does of the APU does have some enhancements that differentiate it from other Jaguar chips.
If the 10% upclock was arrived at equivalent yields and power, it's a decent indicator of better or improved yields versus any negative rumors.

Coupled with some buffing of the CPU-NB interface and coherent bus, the CPU side of Durango sounds like it has an extra bit of performance to leverage.
That's really good news -eastmen, (((interference))) and Term were right- and just one step further to 60 fps. I think we are going to see more and more 60 fps on the Xbox One now than before.

I remember sebbbi mentioning that most games were CPU limited when it came to framerate.

Wait a moment. Do you want to imply that a smartglass device runs a "cut down" version of the game(The Division in this context) which covers top down drone perspective and they only sync the positions of dynamic elements? That's hard to believe when a 2nd render target sounds far less complex.

I suppose that it depends on the companion app. What makes the most sense to me is to have what's needed for the companion apps in the companion app and just co-ordinate the information sent between them. As a developer you create your API/Interface and stick to that and let the client side deal with client-side quirks and issues. Afterall, this is likely similar to how Bungie/Halo3 does all the game recording for years now and allows for various playback options via the website rendering.

Otherwise you have the console having to be coded for all the various incantations/combinations of the tablet display resolutions -- 480p, 800x600 ish, 1024x768 ish, 720p, 1080p, and retina displays. When a new tablet/second screen device is made then you have to patch the console code to handle it? That seems the wrong way to handle it.

I would have to go look at the vid, only remember it from E3 I think it was.
Anyway, regardless it's a game design decision, and you would only make a game that was able to perform how you required up to the designated amount of smatglass apps.

If you really needed that many smartglass apps, then you would choose your engine appropriately. e.g. unity that is supported on most tablets etc, and send the data for it to render it.

cpu got a clock increase to 1.75ghz
https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/375020375824150528

ms has never said they were going to render to 16 devices. they simply said 16 devices smart glass devices can be connected to xbox. they also said in a separate statement that they'll be able to do remote rendering via smartglass.

i dont think the input from controllers is a big deal, ps3 supported 7 controllers because of bt. and lets face it i doubt anyone is going to have 8 controllers activey being used as well as 16 tablets/smartphones.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79834129#post79834129

Penello also said on Neogaf that developers should start seeing the boost soon.

After boosting the GPU speed from 800MHz to 853MHz, and now this performance boost in the CPU side, this can make a difference years from now when developers are going to be trying to get every last ounce of performance out of the console.

Durango's CPU side does of the APU does have some enhancements that differentiate it from other Jaguar chips.
If the 10% upclock was arrived at equivalent yields and power, it's a decent indicator of better or improved yields versus any negative rumors.

Coupled with some buffing of the CPU-NB interface and coherent bus, the CPU side of Durango sounds like it has an extra bit of performance to leverage.

Are you also factoring in the audio hardware or is this extra not even counting that yet?

Are you a dev and with experience in this?

I personally don't know how that would work where the smartglass device does the game rendering .. smartglass needs to work on iPads/Androids/Surfaces etc. and having each of those guaranteeing a level of synchronisity and performance so that the game running on that device is in sync with the game running on the console ... HOW?!

The only way I can see this working is the game is being streamed and presented on the Device.. and all the device is doing is rendering the "pre rendered" texture or surface and responding to user sensory/gesture information then streaming that back to the Xbox One..

I honestly can't see it working the way your saying!

First, the companion app. for The Division is not Microsoft's Smartglass, technically, although it may receive information through the same API.

Second, because of that, the companion app. is quite likely a stand alone application that can render the game world on a support smartphone/tablet.

In other words, it is similar to multiplayer in online games with each device rendering their own scenes and the only information that is exchanged is player locations, facing, weapon's fire, etc.

Except in this case the gameplay is asynchronous, in that the people playing via the companion application are playing a Top Down isometric version of the game rather than a FPS version of the game. Along with that also comes a more limited RTS like control scheme.

Basically, the companion app. is just that. It's an actual smartphone/tablet version of The Division complete with it's own rendering engine, textures, control scheme, camera view, etc. None of which is being rendered on the Xbox One.

Regards,
SB

First, the companion app. for The Division is not Microsoft's Smartglass, technically, although it may receive information through the same API.

Second, because of that, the companion app. is quite likely a stand alone application that can render the game world on a support smartphone/tablet.

In other words, it is similar to multiplayer in online games with each device rendering their own scenes and the only information that is exchanged is player locations, facing, weapon's fire, etc.

Except in this case the gameplay is asynchronous, in that the people playing via the companion application are playing a Top Down isometric version of the game rather than a FPS version of the game. Along with that also comes a more limited RTS like control scheme.

Basically, the companion app. is just that. It's an actual smartphone/tablet version of The Division complete with it's own rendering engine, textures, control scheme, camera view, etc. None of which is being rendered on the Xbox One.

Regards,
SB

I understand that it can be either a full app rendering on the device, or the xbox doing the rendering.. Debate is still out on which way smartglass apps support (unless you have inside knowledge)

http://en.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1kziiw/possible_smartglass_remote_play_sorry_if_this_has/

p.s. I'm leaning on the Xbox one rendering textures and sending those over wifidirect to the connected device (along with other metadata) ...

The smartglass sdk hopefully will be open to indie devs, I want to get my hands on this distributed app framework!

btw in the example of "The Division" .. it looked like the SAME FULL CONSOLE GAME was running on the "smartglass" enabled tablet app. I doubt the tablet app had the power to run that game, hence why I believe its just a texture being streamed from the xb1 to the tablet and only sensor/gesture information being sent back/forth!

Also project spark and other games with smartglass companion apps that behave the same as "the division" with mirrored UI on the tablet also leads me to think that its streaming textures from xb1 to device..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure 1.6Ghz would have done just fine. It would have had to :D
It's just imo the cpu was the weakest part in the box, so I was always more curious what the final speed of the cpu was going to end up being.

Yes I saw I think Scott Wassen from Tech Report (a bit of an outsiders view compared to us) the other day saying he worried the single thread performance of these consoles could become a problem for game advancement in the long run. It makes sense. They are light CPU's and clocked low. They are eons better than last gen CPU but that doesn't mean they are good compared to the current pantheon.

Parallelising is good and all but on PC, games are among the most single-thread limited code around (hence why AMD CPU's with lots of cores but weak single thread tend to do so poorly in gaming benches when they often do much better in general benchmarks).

So all that to say any upclock here is most welcome.

All that processing is done by the tablet device and only the basic game info is sent to/from the tablet. There is no remote rendering being done by Xbox console. Hence your confusion with power requirements.

I don't know about the division, but while Smartglass 1.0 worked the way you describe (standalone html5 apps that communicated with the xbox over the internet through a limited api), the Xbox One iteration does support rendering the app on the console. It's described by vgleaks here: http://www.vgleaks.com/use-your-mobile-or-tablet-with-durango-xbox-companion/

Remote rendering & input

Unlike typical controllers, Companion features rich output through XAudio2 and a Direct3D surface. The title renders graphics and audio to the Companion just as it does to the main screen and audio system. This output is encoded as H.264 and transmitted over a Wi-Fi connection to the device, where it is decoded and displayed.

Companion captures touch, accelerometer, gyroscope, and text input and transmits them over a Wi-Fi connection to the title for processing.

btw in the example of "The Division" .. it looked like the SAME FULL CONSOLE GAME was running on the "smartglass" enabled tablet app. I doubt the tablet app had the power to run that game, hence why I believe its just a texture being streamed from the xb1 to the tablet and only sensor/gesture information being sent back/forth!

In the division it's nothing but a fairly basic top-down view of the world. That is very basic. Nothing in that even showed half of what a tablet is capable of running.

I suggest you take a look at the PS Vita game Killzone Mercanary or what a Tegra3 powered tablet like the Nvidia Shield can run to get a proper idea of just what those devices are capable of rendering The Division tablet app seems laughable to me from a graphics perspective of what it's rendering.

Also, what you're looking at "The Division" tablet app wasn't even shown on the Xbox One. It was shown with the PS4.

If they're going to make the app available on Xbox and Playstation, I think they would be better suited to coming up with their own full stand-alone app instead of relying on the myriad combination of PS4 Remote Rendering or Xbox One Remote Rendering.

Maybe we'll know more if they ever show the tablet having to load up separate versions for PS4 or Xbox One, or if they show a menu asking what game console will you be gaming on (PS4 or Xbox One).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-the-divisions-secret-weapon-is-its-companion-app
During my guided demo, a member of developer Massive Entertainment logged into the app while three other players explored Brooklyn on their PlayStation 4s. Once the app-user joined up with the players on the ground, the tablet displayed an aerial view of the block which they were exploring. The tablet allows a player to become a drone in the environment, and they are privy to a suite of skills each with its own specific cool-downs. Tapping a skill loaded it up, and then tapping somewhere on the screen engaged the ability in that area. Many of these were classic MMO staples, such as an armor buff that boosted the stats of your party, and a healing spell…err…whatever drones are capable of that revived injured allies.

Of course all who are looking at the performance will say that, but the moment someone's XB1 dies, they will blame the two upclocks and it will become an internet headline.
:LOL:
Even if they are unrelated.
People really don't understand the difference between upclock and overclock. If the machines fail, they would still have failed without the upclocks (in 95% of the time)

Did they ever announce the clock speed of the CPU?
Only when they announced the upclock. That relates to both times. (CPU & GPU)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back