Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean? Is it just because the images are larger than they appear?

Hot Chips- http://i.pcworld.fr/1282499-microsoft-xbox-one-soc-amd-tsmc.jpg

Post Reveal Tear Down- http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6972/20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-015.jpg

I don't know what the image capture and lighting conditions were for the Hot Chips pic, but the tear down definitely looks larger. While the Hot Chips image looks strangely cropped.

I don't know what it all means, folks could just be grasping at straws. But it's certainly no mean feat to fit over 5 Billion transistors (more than a Tahiti GPU) on a 363 mm² die.

Does anyone of you think that the SoC die seems bigger than what Microsoft told us?

isn't that just about impossible to tell unless you've seen it in person and had a chance to measure it yourself? I don't know how people can possibly look at a picture, with all the potential ways that a picture can be taken and then resized, and then guesstimate how big the die is.

It's old news at this point, but I'm pretty damn amazed at how much they were able to pack into such a tiny looking package.

But it's certainly no mean feat to fit over 5 Billion transistors (more than a Tahiti GPU) on a 363 mm² die.
It doesn't mean anything, it's just a PR number. About a third or half these transistors are in the ram array. An sram array is very very dense in terms of transistors, so the area and number of transistor would normally simply match what they put in there.

I don't know much about that, but what impresses me the most is how physically tiny the Jaguar cores are. I'd love to see a comparison with other modern cores (some general benchmark result per mm2 or something).

What do you mean? Is it just because the images are larger than they appear?
Nope. It seems bigger than 363 mm2.

I don't remember where i read it but someone tried to measure the die size before Hot Chips reveal comparing the micron ram chips with the SoC itself.

And the SoC was measured about 520mm2

I don't remember where i read it but someone tried to measure the die size before Hot Chips reveal comparing the micron ram chips with the SoC itself.

Die size is the size of the actual chip. Measuring the picture on the board, you're also measuring the package. It should be bigger.

Several people on here did that and IIRC most estimates came out around 400mm^2, so not unduly greater than the "official" count.

Oh... I think one can get closer even with the same image. ;)

I seem to recall a few 360/370 mm being thrown around in early discussions but don't remember if that was just chat/irc or forum talks.

Several people on here did that and IIRC most estimates came out around 400mm^2, so not unduly greater than the "official" count.

We inferred different sizes from the size of the DRAMs, we had estimates from 320 to 380/400mm^2

Cheers

there are people who belive the die size is bigger than what ms said and that theres a second and even third gpu. its really sad.

there are people who belive the die size is bigger than what ms said and that theres a second and even third gpu. its really sad.
Not here there aren't (not posting in this thread, anyway). We can't concern ourselves with educating the entire internet. For the purposes of our discussions, we can take the XB1 SoC (has it not got a funky name yet?) as 363 sq mm.

Not here there aren't (not posting in this thread, anyway). We can't concern ourselves with educating the entire internet. For the purposes of our discussions, we can take the XB1 SoC (has it not got a funky name yet?) as 363 sq mm.

i agree i just have been noticing more people in general have been thinking that for some reason. if the apu doesnt have an official name i vote gyspy danger!

@Mabru - I have seen articles state anywhere from 100 to 130w. MS as far as I can remember has only mentioned wattages for low power states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back