Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CPU clock is interesting news, because eastmen had said some weeks ago he had heard the One CPU was not clocked at 1.6, though he didn't know what the speed was (my guess was 1/2 the GPU clock=1.7 if anything).

My source told me the one had a cpu advantage over the ps4 and I guessed 1.8ghz vs 1.6 he didn't disagree.

he is also the source that told me about the pool of flash ram and 12 gigs of ram with gpu upclock being on the survery list he was asked about.

It'll be (1.9/1.6) times faster = 19% faster on the CPU. Is ~20% a big deal?

i'd assume its more sum of the parts type deal. If the ps4 needs to use cpu power to replicate the dedicated sound hardware of the one and is already at a 20% clock speed disadvantage it becomes bigger than the sum of its parts.

I'm not a game programmer so I don't know how cpu power relates to game features / game play

Would anyone care to attempt to sum up this 'insider info' post for me in one word?

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/

Banned.

Many moons ago MisterXmedia/Cteam has been banned from these forums for some level of insanity and blind rabbid fanboism. So let's leave the crazy at the door.

Also, let this be a warning to you to not try to drag this thread down to versus territory or to bring Sony/PS4 into it.

I would much rather that a bit of information from that link be provided. If it's anything like what I've seen before, I don't want to give that page hits.

There were some rumours regarding Jaguar running at 2GHZ on consoles, but i remember they were dimissed by some people in this forum due to the increase of power consumption (10W per chip).

I mean, 20W for systems that consume around 120W it's a significant increase.

It would have had to be designed from the start to 1.9. VGLeaks said it wasnt.. this isnt a small upclock

Neither Sony or MS has published this number. If there was a difference one of them would

*ahem* Less talk about quality of sources and people's behavior and more Technical talk. Thanks!

He's not one of the devs on BF4, he's technical director for Frostbite engine. ;)

Cache is part of the memory hierarchy and keeps an easy to access the *copy* of the data that's stored somewhere in another (slower) memory. Scratchpad is directly addressable* and can/will contain the only copy of some data. E.g. for deferred renderer you build your g-buffer and then use it as a source for next render to build the final composite. There's no point in pushing g-buffer to RAM if you can keep it temporarily in a large enough and pretty fast piece of memory. This is what you'd use your scratchpad for.

* embedded memory in X1 is behind the MMU according to diagrams so it's probably not directly addressable but mappable into the VA space
That was a truly excellent reply, it really helps me to fully understand a word I didn't recognize when it comes to technology.

Of course, there is always something to learn and what not, but even a limited knowledge can be interesting, despite that, when others help you to understand.

A cache is handled by system logic 'automatically' a scratchpad is explicitly utilised and managed by the running program. It's a more complex thing to use and exploit to it's full potential, it's very unlike the eDRAM in Haswell which 'just works' as far as any PC programmer is concerned.
Another great reply, thanks. Do you mean that you can use it independently? Let's say you program a game from scratch -not from scratchpad :eek: , sorry for the bad joke- and don't want to use the DDR3 memory at all. If your game fits on the eSRAM, could you use it single-handedly to run it without DDR3?

Charlie theorizes that CPU maybe clocked around 1.9GHz. It kind of makes sense to me that the interface between memory and the CPU would be synchronous.

Full article:
First of all, thanks, this is another great article on the Hotchips conference.

I must note that that this is just a passing thought now, but I am not sure how they could upclock the console's CPU to 1.9GHz, it's a huge increase if you ask me when power consumption is at a prime.

Other than that I hope it's true 'cos knowledgeable people mentioned here that the CPU can be a limiting factor in order to achieve 60 fps in games if its actual power to practical power ratio is so low -can't quite remember the term for that now, but the Xbox 360 had a very low average ratio of 0.2-.

It would have had to be designed from the start to 1.9. VGLeaks said it wasnt.. this isnt a small upclock

Neither Sony or MS has published this number. If there was a difference one of them would

Thar's false, neither company has said anything about CPU clock, maybe for a reason?

Maybe they just dont want lay people to go "1.6 (or 1.9) that's very low" or something.

I'm skeptical of 1.9 though.

sorry BRIT, anyway on topic, the 30gb's coherency is supposedly tied into the CPU core clock speeds? We assume its synchronous correct? and if so, how would both ps4 and XBO come to the 30gb's per vgleaks docs? is it possible that if the upclock was true, that the max pipe is 30gb's so if the math would come to say 46 gb's with a 1.9 math, that its ceiling is 30gb's?

esrever agreed, I do agree, I just didn't like how he responded, but again maybe I was wrong asking him that, I didn't think he would answer me. Anyway I apologized to him and I have a question for someone or anyone in this forum that can answer this. How does he come to the math for this statement of the article. and what is the b in 256b/32b ?

The CPUs connect to four 64b wide 2GB DDR3-2133 channels for a grand total of 68GB/sec bandwidth. Do note that this number exactly matches the width of a single on-die memory block. One interesting thing to note is that the speed of the CPU MMU’s coherent link to the DRAM controller is only 30GBps, something that strongly suggests that Microsoft sticks with Jaguar’s half-clock speed NB. If the NB to DRAM controller is 256b/32B wide, that would mean it runs at about 938MHz, 1.88GHz if it is 128b/16B wide.
SemiAccurate would be very surprised if it was 128b wide, wires are cheap, power saving areas not. Why is this important? Unless Microsoft’s XBox One architects are masochists that enjoy doing needless and annoying work they would not have reinvented the wheel and put an arbitrarily clockable asynchronous interface between the NB and the CPU cores/L2s. Added complexity, lowered performance, and die penalty for absolutely no useful upside is not a good architectural decision. That means the XBox One’s 8 Jaguar cores are clocked at ~1.9GHz, something that wasn’t announced at Hot Chips.

thanks if anyone can decode this mastery madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back