Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now all I'm saying is in my opinion going by so many mixed up rumors that hint at problems with yields and such there is a small possibility of Microsoft having R and D there own CPU or GPU .

There's zero possibility that MS designed the CPU and GPU.
We have further proof of this because John Carmack very recently said this:

"We can talk about differences in memory architectures, but the bottom line being that they're (PS4 and XBO) a multi-core AMD processor with AMD graphics, is it's almost weird how close they are."

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a section at the end of hot chips (5/27/2013) this year to talk about XBO silicon. I imagine if there are any customizations that diverge from standard GCN they'll talk about it there.

http://www.hotchips.org

Neat link. I did find this

On the consumer front, Microsoft will talk about the previously disclosed silicon inside its new Xbox One.

From here:

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1263336

In any case the more info the better.

Something struck me about the CoD Ghosts multiplayer reveal this week: multiple sources said that they weren't playing on actual Ones, or even devkits. They were playing with One controllers wired to PCs 'specced to One hardware'.

I was thinking that Infinity Ward HAS to have final devkits at this stage, right? I mean they are THE premiere developers of the biggest franchise in gaming.

So is this a case of not enough final devkits to go around? Or of using the more powerful hardware to show off and build the early buzz? I lean towards the former, especially considering the amount of people at the event.If they are just ramping up production of the One, and have had to cut back on initial availability in some areas, it's more a matter of supply early in life and not the mythical 'production issues'. RIght?

i have a question hopefully this is the right place for it since its about xbox one. before xbox specs were leaked and during there was patents and stuff for tile based rendering. so my question is loaded. is the tiling these patents were talking about kind of like how you have to tile games on xbox 360 or is it like tile based rendering like powervr/vita/dreamcast/mobile? is the xbox one a tile based deferred rendering solution? is that something amd specializes in? is tiled based deferred rendering at all like tile based forward rendering?

i have a question hopefully this is the right place for it since its about xbox one. before xbox specs were leaked and during there was patents and stuff for tile based rendering. so my question is loaded. is the tiling these patents were talking about kind of like how you have to tile games on xbox 360 or is it like tile based rendering like powervr/vita/dreamcast/mobile? is the xbox one a tile based deferred rendering solution? is that something amd specializes in? is tiled based deferred rendering at all like tile based forward rendering?

I think you're mixing up tiling that's done on the 360 due to eDRAM size and the display planes which is done on the Xbox One..

I suppose you're referring to this?

display_planes1.jpg

They're very different things.

i probably mixing up two different things. xbox 360 had to tile things due to edram right? and tile based deferred rendering tiles things as wel correct?l. wasnt there a patent ms had about doing tile based rendering ala powervr or was that talking about display planes? it probably was the display planes because i would assume that doing tile based rendering like powervr is compeltely different than how amd/nvidia gpus work and isn't something they can switch to overnight right? i just thought i read something about xbox 360 being a tile based deferred rendering machine like powervr gpus.

my apologies. So xbox one is a traditional amd type system correct? Would it be well suited to that forward+ stuff AMD showed off?

They've delayed the launch in a few countries so it looks as if it could be supply related.

For me it seems far more likely that the PC hardware is still easier to develop for, with more mature tools etc, helping them to focus on gameplay and netcode without any devtool or early hardware/OS issues getting in the way.

They've delayed the launch in a few countries so it looks as if it could be supply related.

I know they are delaying it in certain countries but I seriously, seriously doubt it has to do with supply issues. I am 99.9 percent sure it's not supply related.

I hope nobody here is falling for the CBOAT lies. Yes, I am sure the PS4 will launch in October. Follow Sony's own history and you can get that.

I know they are delaying it in certain countries but I seriously, seriously doubt it has to do with supply issues. I am 99.9 percent sure it's not supply related.

I hope nobody here is falling for the CBOAT lies. Yes, I am sure the PS4 will launch in October. Follow Sony's own history and you can get that.

sony has never released a console in October...

Pics look nice, but the bottom row of teeth and tongue really bother me. Something doesn't seem aligned correctly.

I hadn't noticed this. Until you mentioned it. Now he just looks weird. :runaway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back