Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
never was the debate. The whole point was we know the changes made by sony and those changes were rolled in to 1.x or 2.0 or whatever you want to call it. so this how ms could of have started later but Onlu have access to older design. Since ms wouldnt have access to this design develop by amd and sony which were rolled into amd gpu designs.

What are the changes ms made? Seem we have a ton of info on the gpu.

Changes made by Sony and features requested by Sony are two completely different things, and if something is only requested by Sony but developed completely by AMD to fill the request nothing prevents MS from using it too.

Changes made by Sony and features requested by Sony are two completely different things, and if something is only requested by Sony but developed completely by AMD to fill the request nothing prevents MS from using it too.

Are they? What are you basing this on?

I'm not so sure that is true either. Features directly requested by Sony but developed by AMD are obviously up to AMD to use on their own but I'm betting there is vverbage in there to lock out MS from getting it. Now features previously developed by AMD without Sony's intervention at all are of course open to anyone. But I don't think Sony needs to have done the main engineering for it to be locked out from MS.

I'm not so sure that is true either. Features directly requested by Sony but developed by AMD are obviously up to AMD to use on their own but I'm betting there is vverbage in there to lock out MS from getting it. Now features previously developed by AMD without Sony's intervention at all are of course open to anyone. But I don't think Sony needs to have done the main engineering for it to be locked out from MS.

I doubt there is anything there that they can lock out MS from using if MS independently decide to make the same or similar changes. Obviously things that are patented wouldn't be able to be copied, but Microsoft would likely be aware of those patents ahead of time in order to avoid infringing and hence would already know they couldn't use them without licensing.

It's far more likely that contract terms just dictate that AMD can't tell either Sony or Microsoft about anything custom that is put into the competitor's SOC, or any details on the competitor's SOC, period.

Want double the ACE's? Nothing Sony could do to prevent Microsoft from doing the same. Sony wants some type of fast memory like ESRAM? Nothing Microsoft can do to prevent them from doing it.

Regards,
SB

True but I'm saying more of things like lets say the originakl ace design was AMD's and the idea to add more queues and more ACE's was Sony's even though AMD did all the enginnering they can't go to microsoft and say we an do this for you per say unless they told Sony the same Microsoft would have to come at the idea independantly and even then it might get sticky if they both arrive at the same conclusion if they can be built the same way.

And kb I'm not asure anyone outside of microsoft knows besides the ESRAM andmov engines which might just be more of the DMA's already in GCN.non compete clauses and get really messy in contracts about what is okay and what isn't.

What changes has MS made to the gpu core?
VGLeaks just mention some number crunching and how the different components of the APU work together but they don't tell much about other details that might be surrounded by NDA clauses.

The custom silicon solution on the Xbox One and the subsequent deal with AMD cost and worth more than $3 billion. What they did, only a few people know -just like Mike Cerny knows the architecture he helped to create in and out-.

Whether the changes are diamond or just an ugly rock, we shall see. I can only recall a post of a fellow forumer saying that one of the devices featured at least one very invasive modification. I am remembering this from the top of my mind, so take it with a grain of salt.

GCN can be a number of things when it comes to consoles, if I didn't misunderstand what 3dilettante, Gipsel and other knowledgeable people have said. They could expand on that.

Day turned into night a few hours ago and I am experiencing this weird feeling of sleepiness, so I just want to sleep safely though maybe not exactly soundly, but I am fine with it.

The custom silicon solution on the Xbox One and the subsequent deal with AMD cost and worth more than $3 billion.

That's 3 Billion dollars estimated over the course of the entire product lifetime, including what MS is paying AMD for finished chips. If Xbox One tanks it could end up being a $1 Billion deal. If the PS4 does really well that could end up being a $5 Billion dollar deal. You can't presume anything based on that figure. My guess is that AMD had their hands full just implementing all the changes surrounding the GPU (ESRAM, Move Engines, SHAPE) and probably didn't make any notable modifications to GCN to avoid further complications.

Have a think what the baseline IP level could/would be....

Volcanic island. The doubt is if Volcanic island has shaders/caches level changes inside so that its flops are more efficient that Southern island ones.

If this was true I can´t understand why for example Cerny doesn´t talk about this and only talks about compute. That´s why people suspect these are vanilla Southern islands like shader cores.

Volcanic island. The doubt is if Volcanic island has shaders/caches level changes inside so that its flops are more efficient that Southern island ones.

If this was true I can´t understand why for example Cerny doesn´t talk about this and only talks about compute. That´s why people suspect these are vanilla Southern islands like shader cores.

Another reason people suspect its vanilla southern islands is that neither seem to contain anything that deviates from southern islands in any major way, which you would expect volcanic islands to do.

Another reason people suspect its vanilla southern islands is that neither seem to contain anything that deviates from southern islands in any major way, which you would expect volcanic islands to do.

Maybe they ( Sony and MS ) can´t talk about shader core changes until AMD unveils Volcanic island. Is not good to give Nvidia hints...

Maybe they ( Sony and MS ) can´t talk about shader core changes until AMD unveils Volcanic island. Is not good to give Nvidia hints...

So this means that they haven't told developers either, that seems a bit out there. Didn't the 360 leaks detail the major changes (the unified shaders) long before it was on the actual market?. I think its more likely because there aren't any major changes then because Sony/MSFT cannot talk about it to anyone.

So this means that they haven't told developers either, that seems a bit out there. Didn't the 360 leaks detail the major changes (the unified shaders) long before it was on the actual market?. I think its more likely because there aren't any major changes then because Sony/MSFT cannot talk about it to anyone.

Xenos never came to PC markets, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back