Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 watts for 4 Jaguar cores including a boost of 100 MHz for 2 CUs.Suppossing 8 watts for the cpu only: going from 1,6 to 2 in Jaguar would be more or less 16 watts...If reliability is the same i think Sony will go for it.MS may be more intereted in a GPU upclock.

Sony wont be up clocking anything. They don't have any room for a higher tdp as they designed the console very well to fit their targets.

MS however has some good news coming down the pipe line.

Sony wont be up clocking anything. They don't have any room for a higher tdp as they designed the console very well to fit their targets.

What is this based on?

Why would MS be changing the specs this late in the game?

Hard to tell any more in this thread what base on facts, wishful thinking or baseless speculation.

What is this based on?

Why would MS be changing the specs this late in the game?

Hard to tell any more in this thread what base on facts, wishful thinking or baseless speculation.

Because Microsoft is a company that can do anything. This is the vibe I'm getting from a lot of people in here, redesign a console in a month? no problem, majorly change heat and power? no problem.

I think a lot of people aren't being realistic.

Because Microsoft is a company that can do anything. This is the vibe I'm getting from a lot of people in here, redesign a console in a month? no problem, majorly change heat and power? no problem.

I think a lot of people aren't being realistic.
To be fair, upclocks and downclocks are about the only thing I would expect to be possible at this stage. A downclock would be problematic for developers if they don't hear about it pretty soon, but an upclock could be kept confidential right up until just before launch.

Not that I expect anything different from what was originally specced, but at least it isn't "secret sauce" or a console redesign.

Can't wait until this is all out in the open..

We'll know by Friday, latest - I guess.

Eastmen's source for this info is actually better than he made it out to be.

And does anyone know if 6 megabit 2133MHz DDR3 modules are available?

Last edited by a moderator:

And what about adding 4GBs of GDDR5 in January, was in their targets ?.

And why can MS receive a hardware revision with less voltage needed that makes more feasible to upclock and Sony not ?. Can´t understand.

Besides, as for Sony upclocking is not the right word here. We have never heard about the target cpu clock in PS4. Is the only data Sony hasn´t made public. It could very well 2 GHz as rumored months ago and maybe Sony had to downclock or not... Remember Sony comes from a monster CPU in the PS3, its first party engines are cpu centric -cpu multi job centric better said-. I am sure that while most of their budget went to a good GPU and good memory system they want a CPU as decent as possible.

Better yields than expected?

Not disregarding your info, but until now, we were just getting the opposite rumours :?: (just forum driven info i know)

Well then, Ballmer taking the lead i guess :LOL:

To be fair, upclocks and downclocks are about the only thing I would expect to be possible at this stage. A downclock would be problematic for developers if they don't hear about it pretty soon, but an upclock could be kept confidential right up until just before launch.

Not that I expect anything different from what was originally specced, but at least it isn't "secret sauce" or a console redesign.

We still don´t know the redudancies. Are there 2 redundant CUs in the chip?. Unlock these is even easier that upclocking.
What i have the sensation is that MS has chosen to get a cost hit with the first units and will go for the hightest allowable performance to be competitive.
The meetings at MS headquarters after E3 debacle must have been interesting.

We still don´t know the redudancies. Are there 2 redundant CUs in the chip?. Unlock these is even easier that upclocking.
What i have the sensation is that MS has chosen to get a cost hit with the first units and will go for the hightest allowable performance to be competitive.
The meetings at MS headquarters after E3 must have been interesting...

My feeling is for asking $499, they better be cognizant this needs to be the cadillac of consoles in every respect.

12GB and 875mhz GPU may not make it a slam dunk to be so, but would go a long way towards helping.

So anyone know if 6 gigabit DDR3-2133 modules are available?

It's very hard to search for offhand because google always thinks you're asking for 6GB of system memory.

I wouldn't worry too much either way. Apparently Sony more or less special ordered the GDDR chips they needed for 8GB, so presumably MS might be able to do the same even if they dont appear to exist.

That said someone here might know more.

6 gigabit is a density that doesn't make sense. They'd make 4Gb or 8Gb, not 6. If you're going to wish for impossible upgrades, at least choose one that's technically possible.

My feeling is for asking $499, they better be cognizant this needs to be the cadillac of consoles in every respect.

12GB and 875mhz GPU may not make it a slam dunk to be so, but would go a long way towards helping.
Imo the issue is not the specs but indeed the price, 499$ is too much when it seems that avoiding the overhead (power and costs) of GDDR5 was a driving force in the development.

IMO Durango is a poster child for what an over designed system is, I can't help but have a sarcastic smile on my face when I look at the length MSFT went into with regard to "noise" for example.
It seems to be a down fall of MSFT at the moment, they over think details, like the noise Surface does when you use the stand or connect the keyboard. It is nice, the product might feel great, etc. but they are loosing track of more important factors, like price, time to market, market trends (obvious focus on screen resolution for example, one could add the raise 7"/8" tablets), and I suspect their time to market is awful (and the associated costs super long and costly development times, etc.).
Actually I think that the main issue is indeed time to market, they are facing great challenges, they want to do great things, but in that attempt at perfectionism they are too late, their products lag the fast changing trends of the market, they do because their time to market is too long.
MSFT incredible focus on TV implies to me that lot of the decisions were take at a time when Apple or Google TV fate (pretty unsuccessful products, if not unsuccessful at least irrelevant) were unknown and before more integrated efforts as Smart TV failed to gain much traction. It is a sign of a way too long time to market and too inflexible design process.

6 gigabit is a density that doesn't make sense. They'd make 4Gb or 8Gb, not 6. If you're going to wish for impossible upgrades, at least choose one that's technically possible.

There was a rumour that 8 gigabit would be ready halfway through next year.

What do we want so much memory for?. That´s overengineering, and not the problem X1 has...

How is it overengineering? Especially with the supposed "new" ESRAM BW to feed it.

The RAM OS holdback was rumored to be a top developer complaint. If 5GB was "enough", why?

12GB and hold 3GB gives you 9GB, comparable to the supposed 7GB in the opposition. More RAM is always useful, for cache worst case.

And besides, the "problem" the XB1 has isn't fixable at this stage, so add somewhere else (though this RAM upgrade thing seems unlikely to me obviously).

All that said I'm pretty comfortable with 8GB, it is a lot especially if they release the limbo 1GB to gaming making 6GB (which I'm sure they will eventually as they inevitably get into a visuals race) XBox is going to live or die with ESRAM now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back