traveling to UK and maybe Europe, need advice.

Went to "Brilliant" (Indian Cuisine) in Southhall the last time we were there. Absolutely worth the trip. Althought there were many others just as good. I agree with good Indian throughout the UK. Hell, even found good Indian in Cleethorpes! Says a lot :)

There are actually a few good Indian restaurants in Cleethorpes! :cool:

(looking at french actors)
there are many prepaid offers, but hardly one with data.
for instance with orange, 8 euros for 100MB (bummer) and even then it's data only, made for tablets and usb dongles. physical shops abound but I dunno if salesmen will be pricks.
even then once you cross the border you're "abroad" so it credit will dry out extremely quickly if it works.

one other offer does quite some voice and messages but a minute amount of data (for emergency looking of transport schedule or plan, I guess)

it's hopeless. except for that thing I've stumbled upon with google, with a somewhat decent price.
https://www.roamline.com/carte-sim-roamline
what's funny is, it's made for travellers but I could see myself using it, even in my home country :) (pay-as-you-go data is dire here, at least for now)

French prepaid market isn't competitive. Italy and UK are much better.

I'm going to Nice in a couple of days and found this offer, for using a lot of data:

holidayphone.com. $21 for 3 days of "unlimited" data on the SFR network. I got two of them for a week-long stay.

Wow, unbelievable, incredible. Not sure how to describe it, but Paris is just fantastic. :) I can see why your home sick. We are just having a blast with the city. :)

Just wanted to let you know that things are working out great. Although now we might be adding Rome and Geneva before heading to Zurich. Yeah we are that kinda of travelers who change their minds at the last minute. Will decide in the next day or two. Heading to dinner, thanks for all the great advice so far.

Just saw this thread.

Unless this is a once in a lifetime trip, too many destinations to enjoy on one trip. A lot of time spent in transit.

Most interesting part of Switzerland are not Zurich and Geneva.

If you wanted to enjoy beaches in southern France, Marseille would not be the place. Since you went over to Venice, the place to go would have been Nice, Cannes, which are in the SE of France.

Honestly, you could spend 3 weeks for Venice, Florence/Tuscany and Rome alone. Plenty of day trips in those regions, plenty within those big cities. And it still wouldn't be enough.

That's if you enjoy natural scenery, architecture, some museums, food.

Although now we might be adding Rome and Geneva before heading to Zurich. .
If you are in Switzerland, I recommend skipping Geneva and Zurich and try to go to Lucerne instead. It (and Brugge in Belgium) are just gorgeous.

As for London, I'd second the suggestion of a river trip (say from Westminster) to Greenwich (with a visit to the Observatory museum and/or market/Maritime museum). A walk from Westminster through St James Park + Mall / Buckingham Palace etc on a sunny day, plus Natural History Muesum and/or Science (all free!). If you have the time (and cash) the Tower of London is also very good.

Under no circumstances should you go to the "London Dungeons". WOFTAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you make it to Bruges (Brugge), I'd recommend a trip to the De Halve Maan (The Half Moon) brewery to try the local Zot beer. Then a visit to 't Brugs Beertje (The Bruges Bear) and possibly Cambrinus, a restaurant with a range of hundreds of beers! Can you see a pattern emerging here? ;)

Of course, if your religion forbids you alcohol, then tough luck! (I understand some Hindus don't drink alcohol)

Even if you don't drink, Bruges is well worth a trip - great views from the top of the Belfort and plenty of other stuff to see.

well the trip is less than a day (flying in 6 hours) from being over. Incredible continent, fantastic sights and it was definitely worth the money spent. God damn but did Switzerland have to be so f'ing expensive? Still a big item off my wive's bucket list and so money well spent, but they could have at least given water with a meal. ;)

Anyways, looking forward to getting back to the US. Thanks to all on their recommendations, it most certainly made the trip a great success.

If you are in Switzerland, I recommend skipping Geneva and Zurich and try to go to Lucerne instead. It (and Brugge in Belgium) are just gorgeous.

Agreed, I've been in Lucerne several times and love the area.

I'm still partial to Bavaria and Austria though. Told the wife more than once that I want to retire to the area (assuming I ever get off my as* and learn more German words than can be counted on two hands).

quiet and old post this one is. but i have been to Spain lately. one of the best places i would like to stay in for a vacation.

well the trip is less than a day (flying in 6 hours) from being over. Incredible continent, fantastic sights and it was definitely worth the money spent. God damn but did Switzerland have to be so f'ing expensive? Still a big item off my wive's bucket list and so money well spent, but they could have at least given water with a meal. ;)

Anyways, looking forward to getting back to the US. Thanks to all on their recommendations, it most certainly made the trip a great success.

Glad to hear the trip was a success!

Swtizerland is suffering from a lot of people on the global market buying Swiss Francs instead of Euros, because of the uncertainties surrounding the Euro. One of the fun things of countries having individual currencies, you may think you have control over them and make them hold the value that suits your companies financial status / economic requirements, but that's an illusion. A lot of European countries experienced issues with this pre-Euro (last one I know of was Belgium, just before the Euro) but these things are easily forgotten. ;)

Went to Switzerland 5 years ago when their currency was a lot lower and it was still very expensive.

Fast food meals were like $15. I think restaurant workers there are pretty well paid.

Last month when I was in Munich I went to Hofbräuhaus am Platzl and the Beer Garden inside the English Garden where they serve Lowenbrau beer. I thought both were absolutely amazing !

Surely, all the German anybody needs to know is, "ein bier bitte"?
It'll be, Bitte ein Bier ;)

Back