Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only weirdness about such a thing is I presume any rejiggering of Durango specs came in response to Sony's 8GB announcement in late feb.

But nothing about the overheating rumors suggested it's only something that just now came up or is connected to a spec change *shrug*

sony's 8 GB is a reaction to 8 GB of durango, indeed

Anyway, just few month ago Kazuo Hirai tell to the stamp about "we'll not reveal ps4 numbers until microsoft can see it and react", so I think he know that there're room to react

thinking about it, it's very possibile to clock 12 CU to 1 GHz, but 18 CU are not so easy to raise in clock as it would generate an hell of heat

and clocking 12 CU (77x0) to 960-1050 MHz is far far far more trivial and easy than adding 4 GB of GDDR on the main board

maybe they have to tweak the cooling system, this I think need at max one single month of delay, not more, indeed the reveal day shifted to 21, but six months is too much, in six months you can change the whole gpu and relative software library, I think

@GrimThorne

The first Amendment protects the press so MS is not allowed to shut news sites up even if it wants to.
Also the FBI went after SuperDae anyway.

Superdae also supposedly kept trying to sell a dev kit for what that's worth...as a matter of fact almost no useful spec info came from superdae (unless you believe he supplied Kotaku and/or Vgleaks with confidential documents which is a whole nother matter, and one I'm not sure MS could have known the veracity of or proved)

But MS did get cease and desists against the Yukon documents on copyright grounds, so it's possible.

DF on SueprDae:
From talking with him directly in order to verify his leaks, we know his information - typically posted on vgleaks.com - is entirely accurate, etc, etc...
Also:
In the case of the brush-strokes of the Durango (and Orbis) specs, not only do we have double-sourced information of our own, but we also have an extra form of backup in the form of these other leaks. (VGleaks)

Now the fact that MS didn't shut up DF or VGleaks is not evidence that they are wrong.
Also neither DF nor VGleaks published actual Durango material so MS can't possibly claim that there was a copyright infringement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol

It might also be powered by a miniature nuclear reactor, I hear the Russians have those too...

Certainly ties in with the 'always on' rumours - this is one console that will work when the power's out (unlike Orth's vacuum cleaner...)

DF on SueprDae:

Also:

Now the fact that MS didn't shut up DF or VGleaks is not evidence that they are wrong.
Also neither DF nor VGleaks published actual Durango material so MS can't possibly claim that there was a copyright infringement.

Oh brother, I've already been accused of derailing a thread, so I'm not opening up a back and forth about legal arguments. So I'm going to stay on topic the best I can with this.

I'm pretty sure that when asking sites to remove documentation that Microsoft wouldn't have pursued the legal angle of publishing stolen documents, those have never been successful cases because as you mentioned you have the First Amendment. But corporations have been VERY successful at suing individuals over the receipt of stolen property because it is the receipt of stolen material, not it's publication, which is criminalized in the court.

If their legal dept wanted to get a little more creative, they could trump things up even more and add the illegal trade of confidential documents. And while it it would certainly be a stretch, it wouldn't be out the realm of legal possibilities to even use the corporate personage angle (which has become increasingly popular) and argue equal protection and sue over violation of privacy. And I just dropped a few things in the bucket, I'm sure MS legal dept could find numerous ways to build a case against VGleaks where they wouldn't have to argue the First Amendment at all.

But I wasn't pointing out IF Microsoft had legal options, they clearly do. I was only pointing out that they haven't taken ANY action against VGleaks, while they HAVE threatened and aggressively pursued anyone over the Yukon roadmap.

SoC inside a SoC is impossible? What the hell... Do you what UVD inside AMD GPUs really is?
I don't know what you're trying to say but SoC is just a name. You can't have an SoC inside an SoC because by definition the entire design would be just an SoC. UVD is not an SoC, it's a component that can be part of a SoC. Anyone saying SoC inside of a SoC is just trying to make something sound exotic.

I don't know what you're trying to say but SoC is just a name. You can't have an SoC inside an SoC because by definition the entire design would be just an SoC. UVD is not an SoC, it's a component that can be part of a SoC. Anyone saying SoC inside of a SoC is just trying to make something sound exotic.

Well... I was saying this because the UVD is an entire Xilleon core.

Well... I was saying this because the UVD is an entire Xilleon core.
A core isn't an SOC. Although as people can't agree on what makes an SOC anyway... :p

SOC = system on a chip, as in whole computer on one package. A system can have any number of components, but an SOC can only have one chip*, regardless how many components you put in there. Hence whatever final design, it can't be an SOC within an SOC. PS2 had effectively PS1 inside it, but it wasn't ever a console within a console. PS2 was a console, with an assortment of processors and RAM banks. SOC is exactly the same concept on a smaller scale.

bkilian suggested they did a while back. The diagrams VGLeaks has been using in their articles come directly from MS documentation iirc. bkilian even mentioned how it was interesting that MS wasn't bothering to take the info down.

bkilian suggested they did a while back. The diagrams VGLeaks has been using in their articles come directly from MS documentation iirc. bkilian even mentioned how it was interesting that MS wasn't bothering to take the info down.

Its because vgleaks modifies the diagrams and makes there own version

same info different layout

If vgleaks made their own version*of diagrams, how can we sure they don't have changed something or misunderstood some information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back