Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 16 core rumor was generated by the first devkit being a dual 8-core Xeon, but we also got the explaination that one full CPU was used to simulated the audio DSP.
If MS did indeed decide to pack 2 SoCs on the Xbox, it's a decision that they made recently or that was withheld to the majority of devs.

And it doesn't make much sense, looking at how complete each of the SoCs is.

Nobody thought about the power requirement? With 2 SoCs, we are really close or over to the 200 W power figure.

Or maybe the whole 2 SoCs is just about having shrink of the current XB360 SoC onboard for full backwards compatibility?

The 16 core rumor was generated by the first devkit being a dual 8-core Xeon, but we also got the explaination that one full CPU was used to simulated the audio DSP.
If MS did indeed decide to pack 2 SoCs on the Xbox, it's a decision that they made recently or that was withheld to the majority of devs.

And it doesn't make much sense, looking at how complete each of the SoCs is.

Nobody thought about the power requirement? With 2 SoCs, we are really close or over to the 200 W power figure.

At peak... but true. well we actually don't know how hungry these parts are do we?

you just reminded me of something. What if this relates to quality of service functionality. If one chip fails you still could do everything on the single APU, but at a lower frame rate or lower resolution.

The leaks you have are accurate regarding the Durango v2.2 development kits but what has gone over the heads of many is that MSFT has incorporated a dual mainboard, dual APU system. Essentially MSFT will reveal a system with 2 times what VGL has leaked in one housing.
AMD have said the PS4 has the most powerful APU ever made right now, this is true, instead MSFT decided to go with a dual setup whilst Sony have overclocked to near 2.012GHz.
You shall hear more come March 6.

Well, I can see a point in a dual GPU setup to get better yield than using one big chip but what's the point of 16 CPU Cores then? I would even prefer 4 Cores clocked far higher than 8 slower ones.

Well, I can see a point in a dual GPU setup to get better yield than using one big chip but what's the point of 16 CPU Cores then? I would even prefer 4 Cores clocked far higher than 8 slower ones.

I think the terminology used in the leaks was "application APU" and "game APU." If this were true, i think the application APU would be far scaled down 2-4 CPU cores and 4 CUs or something along those lines. This would be enough to do everything but run the high end game titles. Other possible scenario as Kaotik said was that this is a 360 SoC APU to run BC.

Would Microsoft even allow for both APUs to be available to developers? What if the 2nd APU is just for the OS & apps?

Tommy McClain

What's the point of FX8 vs FX4? Jag cores are not designed to run at high clocks.

The priority of the chip is a low TDP instead of highest possible speed. Even for an efficient low stage design like the 744x PowerPC 1.6Ghz was possible 8 years ago. So why shouldn't the Jaguar have no clock head room?

It seems as if someone is purposely trolling with accounts that resemble some high profile people from a certain game studio. I think mods should check IP from this/these guy/s and ban it.

The priority of the chip is a low TDP instead of highest possible speed. Even for an efficient low stage design like the 744x PowerPC 1.6Ghz was possible 8 years ago. So why shouldn't the Jaguar have no clock head room?

They have some headroom...But not enough to double clock speed 3.2GHz which would be needed to equal 8x1.6GHz cores.

It seems as if someone is purposely trolling with accounts that resemble some high profile people from a certain game studio. I think mods should check IP from this/these guy/s and ban it.

I don't understand the need to ban everybody. If it's bringing some thoughtful discussion to the table, then why do you care? There's got to be a point where you should just let discussions develop on their own.

Tommy McClain

It's the one last dance for the secret sauce meme before it dissipates in the deep murky sea of speculation thread upon MSFT's official spec unveil. Gotta let them have their fun you know;).
I'm sure you love it. I'm sure you would love Durango to be even weaker, maybe Wii U level, since you are one of the biggest fanboys on entire forum.

I don't understand the need to ban everybody. If it's bringing some thoughtful discussion to the table, then why do you care? There's got to be a point where you should just let discussions develop on their own.

Tommy McClain
I said they should check IP address if its the same (for mutliple accounts) and then ban him. Although members that post these kind of rumors and then run away should also be checked.

I said they should check IP address if its the same (for mutliple accounts) and then ban him. Although members that post these kind of rumors and then run away should also be checked.
Dummy accounts sharing IP are always banned. The mod team doesn't vet anyone's credentials, but it's pretty clear who the real developers are by their quality of posts and lack of NDA breaching attention-seeking. ;)

$700 TRIO SKU = 3 x APU

Ok let me get this straight it ships with 2 boards for 700.00; what will MS charge to unlock the second GPU? I think we can stop the system war and just declare MS the winner of the internet, they've managed to not only supersede the power of on disk DLC but catapult to the next next generation of DLC - downloadable computers. :cool:

If he's lying or not, he's given himself a short time table anyway.

If any new leaks come out saying he's right, his info checks out. If not, life goes on.

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Mark Twain

By the time the truth comes out it will be on every forum spread by the same people who read/post here. The damage is done. Also the signal to noise is getting dangerously low around here.

The most surprising thing about this thread since the new 'rumor' is that bkilian, knowing what he knows, hasn't completely dismissed the idea outright. It's really the only reason why i haven't completely ruled it out as well. The whole thing just seems very un-"Microsoft 2012".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back