Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
$250?

How much will the Kinect 2 unit actually cost? I can't see MS selling the whole package under ~$400, unless they managed to reduce cost of the new Kinect sensor significantly.

So if that is confirmed and you're not happy with it, who gives a shit about how great the spec are?

See my point...

See the thread title.

This is a thread talking about the leaked HW specs. Those who don't give a shit should stay out of the thread. It's pretty obvious I would have thought.

I wonder if all the superdae backstory is real, how much he alone influenced the development of the next two consoles with stupidly involuntary insider trading

$250?

How much will the Kinect 2 unit actually cost? I can't see MS selling the whole package under ~$400, unless they managed to reduce cost of the new Kinect sensor significantly.

I think you'd probably be shocked by how cheap the bom/build price is. I wonder in fact if the biggest part of the Kinect price is IP licence costs. Also in the next version they can probably get rid of the motor. I would actually be surprised if Kinect 2 costs more than $40 and PS Eye $20. The real investments are all software side.

A big question is if Sony will include a Move controller in the box. That would bring costs of Kinect 2 and PS Eye / Move pretty close to each other.

See the thread title.

This is a thread talking about the leaked HW specs. Those who don't give a shit should stay out of the thread. It's pretty obvious I would have thought.

Thisi thread hasn't been about the specs for a long time. It's about people's vague marketing theories, consumer insight, brand loyalty and a whole bunch of crap. This thread is just a lot of people carrying the banners in the console brand war while trying to look like they aren't.

I think you'd probably be shocked by how cheap the bom/build price is. I wonder in fact if the biggest part of the Kinect price is IP licence costs. Also in the next version they can probably get rid of the motor. I would actually be surprised if Kinect 2 costs more than $40 and PS Eye $20. The real investments are all software side.

A big question is if Sony will include a Move controller in the box. That would bring costs of Kinect 2 and PS Eye / Move pretty close to each other.

The spec leak, if true, says they've gotten rid of the motor. Some people believe the addiition of the active IR stream suggests they've changed to one of the camera designs they bought rather than licensing from PrimeSense.

I thought PS4 was off limits in this thread.

Thisi thread hasn't been about the specs for a long time. It's about people's vague marketing theories, consumer insight, brand loyalty and a whole bunch of crap. This thread is just a lot of people carrying the banners in the console brand war while trying to look like they aren't.

If you read carefully there's been spot on leaks in this thread too.

it seems MS has engineered this similar to how they did 360...

"oh PS3 is waaaay more powerful" -after E3 2005.

2 years later..."as a whole this 360 system is pretty efficient and yet plenty powerful".

I don't think that might be the case this time, it's very unusual for two consoles to be an exact match in capabilities, usually each have their own strengths and weaknesses and some are more capable overall. Last gen was an exception.

Don't forget MS didn't know what Sony was doing when designing Durango, so couldn't aim to try and match it's power - they were going for 6-8x 360 and the Durango specs we have are exactly that.

If he is not lying (I dont know), maybe (MAYBE) there are two projects (more than a Xbox said Paul*Thurrott), and Durango is one of those.

But maybe he is lying.

There are two Xbox projects - but Durango is definitely the more powerful one.
The other is an Xbox TV style set top box based on an ARM SoC
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-the-cloud-is-coming-home

However, from what we've managed to piece together, Microsoft's approach to streaming in general is somewhat more complex. An Apple TV-style unit based on ARM architecture, running Windows RT and perhaps featuring Xbox branding is under discussion. This would be a very basic games machine running Windows 8 apps, but geared more towards streaming video services like Netflix.

And as for Charlie, he seems to have taken up the role of feeding false hopes to fanboys now DaE is down.

I highly doubt we'll see any significant changes to Durango without MS delaying launch til 2014, which a silicon redesign would require.

About the only thing they can do is overclock the GPU to say 1.5 TF and even that depends on the how much leeway they have in the TDP of the box.

What if Microsoft has been toying with more than one design for Durango? The rumours are that the yields for Durango are very bad, so I wonder why.

Not to feed false hope but I could see Microsoft having a 12CU and 14-16CU design ready to go based on intel regarding Sony's machine. Apparently Sony's machine wasn't too powerful till about mid 2012, so things could have changed for both vendors.

See the thread title.

The thread hasn't been about HW leaks for a while. It's now about "how can MS match Sony!"

A more valuable discussion would be, what can MS do with the leaked specs and how can they differentiate themselves instead of being just another console but with less power. What strategy would best cater to the specs that are leaked?

But hey, we can get right back to "secret sauce" and magical last min efforts to OC the shit out of the machine since that's clearly a good conservation direction.

because their source have wrote a lot of times that are OLD could be a good reason, what you think?
http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-durangoxbox-next-presentation-being-hinted/

They are not old, they are current for the beta kits which went out at the end of 2012.
What we have is pretty much what we're going to get, unless MS want to delay to 2014 and spend another billion redesigning the silicon.

Besides possible overclocks to the CPU/GPU, which seems unlikely there's not much MS can do at this point if they want to keep their 2013 launch date. And if they're showing it off this April - they do want to launch this year.

Having a 20% less powerful console isn't going to be a big issue, they are more than capable with Sony on price, Kinect, DVR functionality and by being part of the growing Win8 ecosystem of apps/games/content.

do yourself a favour
go to the twitter profile of superdae and read all, go to gaf and read, then return here
seems to me that you want to believe who listen the source more than the source, why, to show one system as "defeated"? you can believe what you want, but you can't make a fact from a rumor, and this is another fact

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1710907&postcount=2681

I can't agree more

Do yourself a favour,
Go email Richard about DaE and get him to tell you how he likes to have fun with the fanboys...

The thread hasn't been about HW leaks for a while. It's now about "how can MS match Sony!"

A more valuable discussion would be, what can MS do with the leaked specs and how can they differentiate themselves instead of being just another console but with less power. What strategy would best cater to the specs that are leaked?

But hey, we can get right back to "secret sauce" and magical last min efforts to OC the shit out of the machine since that's clearly a good conservation direction.
If you read what @MBDF wrote we don't know much about the exact design of the console, and if the leaked specs are relatively correct it features a few odd design choices.

As of now I don't consider Durango another console. I consider it a prototype tbh!!

What's more, the choices behind its design are new in the industry in a few ways and, as I said in another thread, if it turns out to be a success, it could influence the design of future hardware -the trend seems to be UMA and HMC-, but if it's a failure in its entire lifespan, then we have another commercial disappointment in the making.

I am planning on buying one though. I paid live until 2015, have more than a hundred XBLA games, and purchased many retail games -although oddly enough I completed very very few of them-, but I am not sure about the design for now.

Let's see how things pan out.

He is the one that leaked the ps4 memory b/w had changed from 192 GB/s. So he has up to date info on dev kits.

Iherre = Accurate

MS has made a good design and it sould be really cheap to make. I see them launching at the same price as the xbox 360. $299/$399.

Yes, who's also accurate is bgassassin, among other things he was the first to say the GPU was 12 CUs @ 800 mhz.

He's saying the vgleaks specs are current and accurate too.

We know Microsoft's market strategy.

Kinect
DVR
Kinect
Media App
Kinect
Ads
Kinect
Kinect
Kinect
games with Kinect
Kinect
games

You left out ads with Kinect

What if Microsoft has been toying with more than one design for Durango? The rumours are that the yields for Durango are very bad, so I wonder why.

Not to feed false hope but I could see Microsoft having a 12CU and 14-16CU design ready to go based on intel regarding Sony's machine. Apparently Sony's machine wasn't too powerful till about mid 2012, so things could have changed for both vendors.

The yields could be low simply because it's a mammoth SoC, which it would be if it has 8 Jaguar cores, a 12 CU GPU, ESRAM (just look how much space EDRAM takes up on the WiiU die), the data move engines, the audio block, the codec block, the Trustzone ARM security core

First picture of a Durango/Xbox Infinity/Xbox Lp game leaked? :cool:

iWyCGSHw8PYmG.jpg

I'm sorry, but I really can't take 1 more post that is off-topic.

Thread closed until future VGLeaks articles/releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back