NPD December 2012: Wii U on low Vita

WiiU performing at Vita levels is something that makes sense, except for the fact that Vita deserved better sales. It's 2012 hardware against 1997 of the WiiU.

I'd argue handhelds is different from consoles. Japan seems to be the lone place immune to smartphones replacing handhelds, yet consoles seem to be slowly dying there being replaced by those very handhelds.

While PS2 did 20m in Japan, Wii has done 12m+ (and then died totally) and PS3 ~9m (fairly paltry), and thats it.

As would I, consoles and handhelds are different beasts. On a (un)related note, I read where the iPhone isn't selling in Japan because they are so adept at texting they hate touchscreen phones that don't have the tactile feel to text. So it's possible they are still split between phones and handheld devices because they use them both completely differently.

As would I, consoles and handhelds are different beasts. On a (un)related note, I read where the iPhone isn't selling in Japan because they are so adept at texting they hate touchscreen phones that don't have the tactile feel to text. So it's possible they are still split between phones and handheld devices because they use them both completely differently.

iPhones are selling in Japan.

WiiU performing at Vita levels is something that makes sense, except for the fact that Vita deserved better sales. It's 2012 hardware against 1997 of the WiiU.

Vita was less than 250k in the largest sales month of the year and has sold, at most, 500k units over the last three. All this while it's competitor sold 1.2M this past month and 2M over the last 3.

Vita's really on it's own level.

While PS2 did 20m in Japan, Wii has done 12m+ (and then died totally) and PS3 ~9m (fairly paltry), and thats it.
True, consoles perhaps are not performing as good this generation as quick, but youre forgetting last gen the ps2 dominated the other consoles in japan (& elsewhere) unlike now where its far more even.
When its all done and dusted this generation & you add up all the models there will most likely have been sell more consoles in japan than the previous generation

I'm sure Wii U has to potential to do great in the market but when its competition is still the 360 and Ps3 which are established way beyond anything Nintendo can compete with I'm just glad that they sold anything at all. The original Wii had it's own little bubble that was definitely helped by the higher priced competition and it hasn't panned out in the same manner for the Wii U.

And then there's this...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-11/nintendo-gains-as-new-wii-u-sales-beat-predecessor.html

Which is obviously from a financial prospective, but pretty interesting that people are buying Nintendo stock (funny, I always thought they were privately held) on the good news from December's NPD.

The reason? The WiiU has generated more revenue over the same time period than the Wii!

Of course, the facts that the WiiU is $50-$100 more expensive than the Wii and the Wii was supply constrained, doesn't seem to dampen the investors hopes.
Well Nintendo situation is a mixed bag. Their stocks got altered by shacky 3DS launch, losses, etc. There was a pretty bad reception from the financial word when the WiiU were announced.

It seems that at least the 3DS is doing well now, for the WiiU I think that at this point it is likely to have Gamecube kind of sales. It definitely should do better as soon as Nintendo get the price "right".
I was kind of right about Nintendo making a wrong decision and choosing not to push traditional Wii type of game on their new hardware, like "Just Dance".

Anyway overall, their situation is not great but from investors pov things may look a tad better now, Nintendo situation is less uncertain, investors hates uncertainty.
Nintendo have a strong product, the 3ds, and a home console that should do OK. They are not making loss on hardware, they should make a sane a mount of money like they were doing in the "pre" Wii era.

True, consoles perhaps are not performing as good this generation as quick, but youre forgetting last gen the ps2 dominated the other consoles in japan (& elsewhere) unlike now where its far more even.
When its all done and dusted this generation & you add up all the models there will most likely have been sell more consoles in japan than the previous generation

well the gamecube would have sold 4-5m last gen in japan. and this gen is now 7 years vs 5-6 last time, so it's a decline.

Back