runs stock android
HDMI, micro-USB, microSD slot, 3.5mm audio jack
720p 5inch screen
supports 4k

Last edited by a moderator:
remote play like feature for pcs on shield

steam big picture on shield through pc with geforce gpu
Nvidia2013CES-906_575px.jpg

Shield + PC streaming: NVIDIA didn't get a console win - so what?

no PROJECT DENVER though :(

I dont see a market niche for this.

i mean wow, it can play games that look almost as good as really bad 360 games, how exciting. such is ever the fate of mobile.

and the screen just adds a cumbersome cost to the pc streaming aspect.

all in all a scatterbrained effort.

lots of ngage/gizmondo/phantom/whatever fail vibes from the aesthetics too.

The fact that it needs a GTX650 or up for streaming from your PC, Points to it using a CUDA video encoder.......

NOPE.JPG

Well if you're like Davros and you want to enjoy your sacred terrabyte of gaming from the comfort of your couch you can do it without lowering your divine standards and do it without a games console.

Well I much prefer that form factor to Vita for example. Looks like a proper ergonomic controller. It's also a pure Android tablet. All in all it seems quite feature rich, If the price is right I might be interested.

It requires a nvidia video card? Fucking LOL, what a completely contrived, deliberate restriction. Hope this shit bombs fast and hard.

Grall said:
It requires a nvidia video card? Fucking LOL, what a completely contrived, deliberate restriction.
AFAICS, it isn't contrived. The video encoding takes place on the GPU to maintain the lowest latency. I'm sure you could do it on the CPU, but then you would have to worry about latency and CPU overhead from realtime x264 encoding. Or maybe AMD will just support an Nvidia product out of the kindness of their hearts?

The apparent ergonomics and aesthetics are just /boggle though...

It requires a nvidia video card? Fucking LOL, what a completely contrived, deliberate restriction. Hope this shit bombs fast and hard.

I don't think you read anything about it before that comment..
It's both a stand-alone portable console for Android games and a streaming console for PC games.

The stand-alone part is everything Vita should've been IMO: Android, full "X-Input" controls (analog+digital triggers), cheap expandable storage, huge bateries, comfortable grips, etc.
Either Sony invests a lot in Vita this year or this will be the final nail in the coffin for the console.

The streaming part is using nVidia's own streaming software, which uses Kepler's own video encoding hardware. CPU encoding would be way too unpredictible because of latency depending a lot on the CPU being used.
Even then, it doesn't need a Kepler GPU even for that. There are many streaming apps available in Google Play.
Game streaming in Shield should probably work in a PC with an AMD GPU if you use Splashtop through a WiFi Direct connection and a very fast CPU.

Plus, with Miracast being supported by most recent Android devices, it's just a matter of time before low-latency game streaming through WiFi becomes widely available using hardware encoders from nVidia GPUs, AMD GPUs/APUs and Intel's Quicksync.

So no, Project Shield doesn't require a Kepler.

The stand-alone part is everything Vita should've been IMO: Android, full "X-Input" controls (analog+digital triggers), cheap expandable storage, huge bateries, comfortable grips, etc.

And an HDMI out.

Full Android capabilities makes this quite interesting. I think this is very solid product and a feature monster.

In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H9nhod2bS5Y) you can see a bit of lag from the TV.
I think that would be natural in the conference room because of the ridiculous amount of WiFi enabled devices in there. Home set-ups should be better.

Also, I think it is safe to say that nVidia will not power either PS4 or nextBox.
No, but the GFE and Steam show-off makes me think the Steam console will almost surely have a Kepler in it.
Despite all the love we've seen between Valve and AMD for the past 10 years or so.

What the I don't even

Edit:

What a weird form factor. Smart of them to go Android with this, they should have plenty of software and developers that can target this thing with relatively little effort, but how very, very strange.

I think that would be natural in the conference room because of the ridiculous amount of WiFi enabled devices in there. Home set-ups should be better

The nvidia demo was using wired Ethernet to avoid conference wifi issues (likely through a USB/Ethernet adaptor)

What the I don't even

Edit:

What a weird form factor. Smart of them to go Android with this, they should have plenty of software and developers that can target this thing with relatively little effort, but how very, very strange.

What's wrong or weird with the form factor? It's practically the same as a MOGA setup or a Nintendo DS without the bottom screen, which by itself is an evolution of the Gameboy Advance SP.
It protects the screen from scratches while turned off. Many people prefer that to the PSP/Vita's form factor.

The nvidia demo was using wired Ethernet to avoid conference wifi issues (likely through a USB/Ethernet adaptor)

Didn't get that at first. Well there's the fact that he kept receiving e-mails like crazy, I don't know if that was on purpose.
I guess we'll have to wait for reviews to see how it fares.

So are you claiming that they do not use HDMI to the TV?
I thought the TV was rendering the original PC output which was then mirrored to the Shield, hence the lag.
Then I guess it's the TV's fault?

What's wrong or weird with the form factor? It's practically the same as a MOGA setup or a Nintendo DS without the bottom screen, which by itself is an evolution of the Gameboy Advance SP.
It protects the screen from scratches while turned off. Many people prefer that to the PSP/Vita's form factor.

Eh? It's bulky. It's a full sized console controller plus a screen, there's no way one would carry it in a pocket like one would a DS.

Back