I need some suggestions...

Saem

Veteran
Hi, folks. I'm enrolled in an HCI class -- concentrating on the computer realm. In anycase, I have to do a report on it and I'm wondering if any of you who have experience with the subject could suggest which one of the topic below will be most interesting.

1. Role of colour in GUI
2. Fitt’s Law and it’s application
3. GOMS and it’s application
4. Creating good icons
5. Effective or Ineffective Metaphors
6. Error messages
7. Advent of 3-D UI
8. Style Guides
9. Internationalisation of User Interfaces
10. UI Testing
11. Other

The last category is basically I suggest something to the teacher and so long as it's relevant to the course it's allowed.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Pascal.

I was thinking about that topic a bit, from what I've read so far, most of the metaphors for 3D UI blow. But I might as well go for it since it'll probably be the easiest one to do research for.

I made a 3D GUI for a HCI class, together with my roommate and another guy. Basically, what we did was a video store metaphore for a video library containing 1000s of video. You click on shelfs, which are sorted by genre, and you get a short fly through animation to that shelf, and you may begin looking for the video there. Everything rendered in OpenGL of course :)

Often 3D interfaces aren't that great, but it actually worked very well in this case. Our professor really liked it and we got top grades on it :)

Hey, Humus.

Would it be possible to get the compiled version of that to play around with?

The only problem I have with 3D interfaces is that I don't find anything particularly limiting with a 2D desktop. I think the extra dimension just adds more complexity to the overal system.

Back