Overclocking my CPU

juanichiloco

Newcomer
Hi! I am new on this forum, so first of all I want to congratulate you because I have read it many times before and I think it is a very good forum. I also want to apologize because of my poor level of english.
I have been overclocking mi CPU, an AMD Phenom II x6 1045T. My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA-790XT-UD4P, and I have setted the FSB to
290, so the CPU frequency is now 3.9GHz, with a Vcore of 1.425V, the NB frequency is setted to 2610MHz and the HyperTransport Bus is 2320MHz. The NB voltage is +0.1V the normal (1.2V) and the CPU NB Vid voltage is +0,75V from stock (1.2V). I have 8GB of G Skill Ripjaws X RAM 1600MHz CL9, that now are running at 1545MHz with stock voltage, and I have some questions. I haver read many times that te max safe temp for my CPU is 62C, but I am not sure of what temp should I read, I use OCCTP and there are two temps, the CPU temp and the different cores temps (there are six core temps, due to the six-core CPU, but they have always the same value). When I run Prime95 in blend mode the CPU temp rises to 65C more or less, while the core temp is around 45C. I think that I should to pay attention to the CPU, not the core temp, but I am not sure. Another question is for the RAM, maybe it is stupid, but my RAM modules are rated in 1.5V, and my motherboard puts them at 1.6V, and I cant reduce the voltage to 1.5V (my motherboard specs says that it has 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM ). The last question is if you know how can I improve this overclock, if I reduce the CPU NB VID voltage it just not boot, and if I reduce the Vcore it is not stable in Prime95. ¿Any suggestion? Thanks!

PD: I am not sure if I have posted this in the correct subforum, if I havent, can any mod move this, please? Thank you!

At least for the BD/Piledriver architecture the core temps should generally reach less than 60 degrees Celsius. I don't know how exactly does that translate for Phenom X6, but your core temp of 45 looks really safe.

For my FX 8350 (which has some strange cooling issues for now), I even allow temperature for cores to reach the "uppest" 60s.

The other temperature (CPU temperature) is the socket temperature. Its value should be considered to be more accurate in terms of depicting the real temperature value reached by the cpu.

The core temperatures are missing an offset or some "other post-processing", but otherwise the changes they show are (more) accurate and I prefer to use them as consequence.

The problem is that I think that the Phenom x6 hasnt got a temperature sensor, and that core temperature is beeing calculated by software, because is very extrange that sometimes in idle the core temperature is about 17C and the room has a temperature of 20C. But I think the 62C limit of AMD is about the core temperature, not the socket, so I am a bit confused.

Same with my FX. I can get temperatures of 12 degrees which are way lower than ambient.

Read on some forums (perhaps http://www.alcpu.com/forums/) that the core temperature numbers are a combination of some measurements and some computations.

The 62 degree limit you mention refers to the core temperature. And to the actual reading, not the real temperature. I further think this limit is empiric, having never been quoted by AMD.

The only official limit I know is the Tj Max which for my FX is 90 C. So a core temperature of 62 degrees will also cover that; never heard of more than 20 degrees difference between real temperature and reported Core Temp.

Ok thanks, so I assume that my temps are correct, I think I am going to force a little more the OC setting the NB frequency to 2960MHz xD.

Increased risk of breaking your cpu / more heat /more power usage /more risk of instability
all or an increase you wont even notice.

you've already got the cpu close to its maximum, be happy

As far as I know, you can burn the integrated memory controller on the Phenom CPU. I could overclock my 1060T nicely too, I get stable 248 FSB clock, but I left the voltages at stock or maybe one notch down from default, to be more on the safe side. Also keep the core voltage below 60degC like that, well below the 62 maximum. It should throttle down when going too high, lowering performance anyway. A good PSU should be important too I'd guess.

It's getting too hot, AMD chips start to loose stability over 55c

You want the CPU-NB clock as high as you can, leave the HT speed as close to 2000Mhz as possible.

And to clear up the low temperature on AMD chips they show the temperature delta over ambient and not the actual temperature.

So if you software is reporting a temperature of 17c and your ambient temperature is 18c then your CPU temperature is 35c

And to clear up the low temperature on AMD chips they show the temperature delta over ambient and not the actual temperature.

So if you software is reporting a temperature of 17c and your ambient temperature is 18c then your CPU temperature is 35c

That's too vague an explanation. What is "ambient" in this context?

Or you think I can start measuring my room temperature using an AMD cpu ? :D

"Ambient" could only reasonably mean the motherboard case temperature sensor, and depending on its location (and how big the heat loads in your case are, and how good the ventilation is) could of course vary A LOT from the true ambient temp.

Anyway, why would the CPU temp sensor report a (mainly useless) delta value and not an absolute temperature? That's so fucking stupid. Typical of AMD incompetence these days.

Ok. Then please point to a source which should also tell us between what values the delta is computed. So we can actually help the OP.

Ok. Then please point to a source which should also tell us between what values the delta is computed. So we can actually help the OP.

Why? They lose stability over 55c so as long as OP can keep the CPU temperature below that he will be fine.

Of course, and I agree.

There's a mile and then there's an extra mile. Was hoping that me & you hijacking would uncover extra useful information.

Of course, and I agree.

There's a mile and then there's an extra mile. Was hoping that me & you hijacking would uncover extra useful information.

It's only really extreme overclockers and most of the threads that us extreme overclockers on HWBot use and locked to the general public so there's really much that I can do in that regards.

AMD chips love the cold and cooler you can keep them the more you can clock them.

Max voltage.on water cooling is 1.55v and if you can keep the temps in check you'll be looking at an easy 4Ghz+

Has the OP tried to see if he can unlock all 6 cores?

My question is do you really see/feel the difference of a processor which was overclock and a processor which is not? As i have read some tech book, regarding overclocking sometimes the difference is only minimal. and the risk is your putting your processor in a short period of is life.

Back