Feasibility : Environmental Display in 2013/2014

Docwiz

Newcomer
Feasibility : Environmental Display in 2014 (i.e. VR without the helmet)

Source:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...sions-where-gaming-is-going-and-its-wild.html

With such a thing like this how feasible is it? I mean for the projection and depth cameras.
Is such a thing even possible (no ancient alien references please)?

o Kinect 2.0 (maybe two of them for stereoscopic)
o Xbox Next (designed out of the box for HDMI, 3D, maybe multiple GPU's)
o Using 3D glasses to make it a 3D surround experience and using Kinect 2.0 for higher fidelity motion.

It almost sounds like this (without all of the props)
http://www.gizmag.com/sony-holodeck-playstation-move-eyetoy/20721/

The Fortezla Glasses in that Xbox 720 document were in September 2010, the information above was applied for a patent in the 1st Quarter of 2011.

I saw a Sony video camera with a pico projector built right in with the camera, wouldn't this be too expensive to even offer by itself even if it was low resolution?

I want to explore how feasible all of this would be and how expensive it would be and that is why I posted here because I want to see some experts talk about this and what can be done and what can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Docwiz said:
With such a thing like this how feasible is it? I mean for the projection and depth cameras. Is such a thing even possible (no ancient alien references please)?
I've seen "3d surround AR" in amusement parks 12 years ago - it projected entities&objects inside the whole room space, not just on the walls, but it did require glasses to work.
That said they were the size/weight of my normal glasses, and at least back then I didn't pick up on any lag with projection.

When I saw that MS "leak", it reminded me of that very thing, and they did imply glasses would be required as well.

This patents already been discussed on this board somewhere. The patent diagram fails to show shadows cast by the furniture. It'll also want an amazing projector to fill a room with brightly illuminated projections to match the TV. It also fails in the immersiveness as you cannot turn to look at a part of the scenery as it's so low res. That is, the patent acknowledges peripheral vision is low-res so you can project a low-res fill-in, but if you see movement in the grass to your right, you cannot turn and look at the projection on the wall which will just be a blurry mess. You'll need to game camera to view the area.

Technologically of course it's doable, but not in a home console any time soon, and it's also a pretty stupid idea that's no replacement for a headset. It's just a huge screen with motion tracking but the same limitations effectively as a standard TV with motion tracking.

Well, we know that they are either doing the glasses by themselves (as in that document) or that they are working on the projection system for 2014. I just don't know which one.

They seem to not want to get stuck on the TV alone and move off of it, but I guess we don't really have the details yet and we won't until E3 2014.

Back