Formula 1 - 2013 Season

Great article here on why Lewis is being beaten by his team mate currently:
Interesting and thorough article. I believe I saw a comment from Lewis saying "it'll take a few more weeks/races" to get up to speed; I took that to mean he's thinking the new Pirelli's may help him but perhaps its related to Paddy Lowe coming on board earlier and having a clearer understanding at an engineering level of how Lewis likes the brake setup.

Storm in a tea-cup. Some people are trying to use this entire testing debacle for their own political ends.

Whether or not Ferrari did an illegal test comes down to interpretation of the specific law. What matters apparently is how well the car complies with current regulations. EBD and nose height are obviously things that don't comply but the FIA may argue that overall the car does substantially comply with current regulations and this will be something for the lawyers to argue in a court room.

FIA confirms that Mercedes case goes to The International Tribunal, while Ferrari case is closed as they didn't break the rules
Pirelli and Mercedes
WED 05.06.13

The Monaco Grand Prix Stewards raised in their report to the FIA an issue concerning a tyre testing session carried out by Pirelli with the participation of Team Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 in Barcelona on 15-17 May 2013[1].

The FIA requested clarifications from Pirelli and Team Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 in this respect.

The FIA also asked questions to Scuderia Ferrari Team, which took part in a tyre testing with Pirelli in Barcelona on 23-24 April 2013.

The FIA requested all the other F1 Teams to provide the FIA with information they may have regarding any tests carried out by Pirelli during the 2013 season.

In the light of all the replies received and in view of the information gathered during this inquiry, the President of the FIA, acting as the FIA prosecuting body, has decided:

• To close the case as regard to Scuderia Ferrari Team considering that its participation in a tyre testing organized by Pirelli in Barcelona on 23-24 April 2013 using for this purpose a 2011 car is not deemed to contravene the applicable FIA rules.

• To bring the case concerning the tyre testing session carried out by Pirelli and Team Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 in Barcelona on 15-17 May 2013 before the FIA International Tribunal because it results from the inquiry that the conditions of this testing may constitute a breach of the applicable FIA rules.

The FIA International Tribunal is called upon to make a decision in compliance with the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules.

[1] The Stewards' report follows the protests made by Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Ferrari Team on the occasion of the Monaco Grand Prix against Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 concerning its participation in the Barcelona tests (15-17 May 2013).

The tyre plot thickens, according to Finnish F1 broadcasters news, Vettel was first to hear about the test when Rosberg slipped it when they had a conversation. Hamilton and Rosberg also user anonymous helmets instead of their own and apparently Rosberg has also said that they knew far more about the tires used than Mercedes has admitted.

Also Lotus has said that they'll make sure there will be no midseason tire changes as according to their view on rules even the side components change while the actual tire compound would stay the same would required that every single team agrees on it

The tyre plot thickens, according to Finnish F1 broadcasters news, Vettel was first to hear about the test when Rosberg slipped it when they had a conversation.
This has been denied.

Hamilton and Rosberg also user anonymous helmets instead of their own
Isn't this speculation? [Edit] Actually, Brawn has confirmed that:

http://adamcooperf1.com/

“The reason for the drivers’ helmets is it was a Pirelli test, they organised the security, they organised all the arrangements. We didn’t want to bring attention to the drivers, we didn’t want to have to put security there, we didn’t want to have to put minders.

“The easiest way for us was to not bring attention to what drivers were in the car, only for those reasons. We have always been very open about the drivers.

“The drivers are irrelevant – there’s nothing in the sporting regulations, nothing in the arrangements for these tests that controls which drivers are in the car. There was no issue there. It was purely privacy and nothing more.”

and apparently Rosberg has also said that they knew far more about the tires used than Mercedes has admitted.
Just listened to the BBC Radio 5 Live Podcast where they sat down with Nico, you can hear him say that all they were told by Pirelli was whether it was a different compound or construction and how many laps they wanted them to try. There was no elaboration on how they differed or what to expect.

First time into q3 for him (and he wasn't tenth), although he probably should send Massa a thank you card.

Yep great stuff by Bottas. Vettel has just seemed that little bit faster all weekend but Hamilton blew it on the last corner or he would have had pole I think.

Finally Bottas shows what he can do. Great job.

Now let's see who will tumble backwards in the race.

I'm not expecting any big surprises anyway. The Merc's were still a bit off the pace in the long runs on Friday while the Ferrari's had very good pace. I think it's likely that Bottas and Hamilton will go backwards a little bit behind Alonso and Webber.

Alonso might only be starting 6th but I don't see anyone ahead of him staying there for very long, except Vettel. Depends on the weather more than anything though, the Red Bull looks really good on inters.

Damn you Canada. 14 hour time difference so it will be another 1 or 2 days before I can "watch a replay".

And the plus side I'll know be able to watch with image quality that doesn't look like a pre 1990 race hehe.

Back