Intel Buys "ZiiLabs" 3D Tech from Creative

I'd forgotten about them since they haven't been getting the design wins competitors have. The other half of the team that created the Wildcat cards have been part of Nvidia for a few years now.

Whenever I see their logo as I drive past their offices in Milpitas, I'm surprised Creative still exists as a company.

Looks like a fancy name, stem cell computing, wasn't enough to get traction for their zii stuff. $50M sounds like an acquihire for Intel with some IP cookies as sweetener.

Glbenchmark shows a ziillabs bas tablet (don't know if thats the ZMS20 or ZMS40) getting 2.3fps in GL2.5 offscreen. Thats about 1/2 the performance of IMG's lowest performing core, the SGX531 in the mediatek chip.

Don't know where Ziilabs has been hiding this "high performance graphics" IP, but they certainly havn't been using any of it.

ZiiLabs SoCs seem to be useless for 3D, but for everything 2D they they're really strong, I think.

Maybe now their work won't go unnoticed but I bet they were bought for the patents.

Back