Adobe Flash - why doesn't it autoupdate like it's supposed to?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Twice now, the flash updater just opens up a web browser that forwards me to adobe instead of just updating the browser.

I wonder if it checks first if google shitchrome is installed, because each time this has happened to me there's been a tiny pre-ticked checkbox half-hidden away amongst some other text that says yes, I want to install it. Naturally, instead of accepting such bullcrap I closed the web browser.

Not sure why the hell adobe's doing this. Considering all the bad stuff that's happened after people haven't updated their god damned buggy flash installs, why on EARTH would they make updating even less easy than it was?

It wasn't very long since they - as the last major company on earth - announced flash would now autoupdate if you enabled that. It hasn't fucking done that ONCE for me. Every time a window has popped up and I've had to click a bunch of times before it finished, just like it was before they announced this "autoupdating". ...And now I don't even get that.

I'm like...whuh?!

*shrug*

Sometimes I think nobody on adobe's flash team trusts the plataform more then the general public. It is a matter of time till it becomes obsolete, and I imagine adobe's developers already now that and just keep doing what their boss tells them to, with rolled up eyes and a loaded gun in their desk's drawer. It just feels like they aren't trying.
I could very well be wrong though.

Are you using firefox? It doesnt support automatic updating so you have to download it each time.

all those separate residential update processes bug the hell out of me. Java, Flash, Acrobat, Google... the list is endless.

I prefer to kill all those update services and run Secunia PSI to notify me of problems and updates instead.

I've been wondering for years why Microsoft doesn't offer companies a unified update API in Windows.

Are you using firefox?
No... IE only. Not because I love it so much (I really don't), but it works, and it's one less piece of software to keep updated by not installing another browser.

AFAIK, it only runs the update check if you reboot. So it pretty much sucks.
Is OK though, I shut down my box every night. Can't get sleep modes to work properly, the OS just crashes or hangs either when going to sleep or trying to wake back up again.

Chrome keeps Flash as a special dll that it updates by itself along with its own components which also autoupdate fairly quietly. Additional advantage is that it can prevent a flashcrash from contaminating other tabs (which each run in separate thread and memory, but in the early days Flash would break that barrier)

heres something i havnt managed to figure out
when the update dialog pops up (because i set it to check for updates then ask)

when it updates flash for what browser is it updating ?

heres something i havnt managed to figure out
when the update dialog pops up (because i set it to check for updates then ask)

when it updates flash for what browser is it updating ?

As far as I know all browsers use a plugin that points to the same Flash install, except Chrome.

It's an Adobe product, need anyone explain more?

No... IE only. Not because I love it so much (I really don't), but it works, and it's one less piece of software to keep updated by not installing another browser.

Weird. Chrome is so much faster and leaner and it keeps itself, it's own Flash and Java updated so you literally have to do nothing. It doesn't even show you it's updating.

Don't need faster; my PC is never waiting for IE, it's my dog-ass slow ADSL connection that's the limiting factor. Also, leaner? Really? Anyhow, I've got 12 gigs of RAM and have never run out, ever.

Weird. Chrome is so much faster and leaner and it keeps itself, it's own Flash and Java updated so you literally have to do nothing. It doesn't even show you it's updating.

Hmm, I don't think Java is included in Chrome? At least I still have to manually install & update Java when using Chrome. Chrome will report though when Java is outdated.

Then why on the adobe flash page are there at least 2 versions 1 for ie and 1 for opera

It still needs to install some kind of plugin into the browser, but it links to the same installation dlls. Afaik, at least.

It still needs to install some kind of plugin into the browser, but it links to the same installation dlls. Afaik, at least.

Netscape and Active-X plugins of flash are separate installations and libraries. Up until last time I checked, they did not get updated simultaneously. And last time was about 2 months ago.

PS. I've read that SUMo apparently is also a good alternative to Secunia PSI, as it supposedly generally detects a wider range of programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back