Free Battlefield 1942

Davros

Legend
announces DICE is handing out free copies of Battlefield 1942 on Origin as part of their celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Battlefield series of military first-person shooters (thanks Charles). This is accompanied by an electronic art booklet for this Electronic Arts game, saying this "contains a number of concepts showing visual and gameplay targets that the DICE team had more than ten years ago when they set out to create the game of their dreams," though they also warn the 1920x1080 presentation weighs in at over 150 MB. There is an accompanying FAQ confirming this is a free release of the original game, that it does not include either of its expansions, that players of the free version cannot play in the same games as owners of the original on-disc version (though owners of the disc version can obviously get the free version), and that they are running public servers in addition to anyone's ability to run a dedicated server.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/11/download-bf1942-for-free/

I downloaded it, and as far as I can tell this is inaccurate:
"players of the free version cannot play in the same games as owners of the original on-disc version"

it's just the pure game, with no modifications for "free to play", it's just that it doesn't include the expansions, but buyers of the CD game 10 years ago or anyone who got the game for free will play on the same servers, as long as it's not running any expansion, at least that's what I think considering the huge number of players on the servers I can enter, and some players on the chat saying they've been playing the game non stop for 10 years,

also mods like Desert Combat seem to work as it should....

Back