Unusual Heroes Kickstarter by me, DeanoC

DeanoC

Trust me, I'm a renderer person!
Veteran
Supporter
Mentioned in a few other threads but thought its time for a proper begging thread...

I've started a Kickstarter to fund my new game.

Its a sci-fi RPG with a feel of Fallout, Ultima's and the other great RPGs and the strategy combat of XCOM, Syndicate and even Cannon Fodder.

Main characters are all unusual, wheelchair, partial sighting and being a dog are some of the things that differ from the usual bald marine or metal bikini girl with a big sword.

Fixed 2D with an isometric like view but using pre-computed G-Buffers that are then combined real-time with the 3D renderer. Gives loads of power to make the moving bits, characters, props etc. look awesome. GL and Dx11 renderer get the pretties onto your screen.

Full 3D support using true stereo buffers (not post-processed fake 3D), if you have an Oculus VR will be fully supported.

Lots of inside info and chat from me

Please have a look and pledge if you like what you see. Also any posts on other forums etc. would be awesome

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991838495/unusual-heroes

Thanks alot, sorry if it offends you that i'm making a direct post.

Deano

Last edited by a moderator:
Tessellation support? People love tessellation and will buy it just for that.... if you really want it to sell then make a built in GPU demo :)

If it all took was a GPU demo and some tesselation i'd do it, but somehow I doubt people would pledge just cos I added that *sigh*

Preordered. I have little doubt this will be goty in 2013. :D

Folks you should support this game not because of Dean's ties to b3d, but because he is a proven top tier game developer (one cannot make a AAA game without AAA developers). And all kidding aside, I will truly be surprised (and disappointed) if this game does not deliver. I know kickstarter projects can seem risky to support, but with Dean at the helm, one can expect only the highest of quality.

What exactly does a G-buffer do, and how does having one help with rendering prettier graphics? :D

Also, you don't look like I didn't imagine you in your picture...

Oh, and by the way... You may want to change the snacks fed to Agent D into something non-chocolatey, as feeding them that can actually be fatal to dogs, and you don't want to give people the wrong ideas and stuff.

Theres a large article about G-Buffers on some site I can't quite remember the name or perhaps someone will be able to find a link.. ;)

In this case, its a bit different we get the off-line renderer (Lightwave 11) to output the necessary information (in stereo) which then pre-fill the real-time G-Buffers and then proceed as normal.

Its a lot of info to store, but decent compression and lots of memory makes it feasible. Going forward I will also be storing light probes and lighting shadow map on disk to further integrate the offline and real-time worlds.

And Indie Game Mag have written a little blurb on the game! http://www.indiegamemag.com/team-based-sci-fi/

Although I don't understand how T is physically stronger than Z, which looks to have well defined upper body muscularity plus a hook of destruction, and why there is a Pheasant instead of a Mallard duck at the beginning of the video, I humbly pledged and wish the best for the project.

Perhaps a near finished marketing student could help you out with the marketing in exchange to get some school credits/project done? might be a bit late for something like that though.

Being upper bodied physically strong doesn't mean much unless your a trained athlete, I was until recently very physical strong up top (twenty years of using crutches does that when your ahem large boned ;) ) but most athletes could use there strength better than I.
Its a pheasant cos it was walking across the garden when we were filming and looked funny to me. so in it went.

Yeah marketing seems to be the weak point for me, hmm hopefully not too late to get things moving. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks Dr Evil appreciated :)

Looks like an interesting game, especially with the heroes not being the übermensch we so often see in games.

Also interesting technically that you actually pre-fill G-buffers for the background. But I wonder, why are all the pictures of our heroes are blurry? I'm having a problem looking at them, since nothing seems to be in focus.

I'm also having trouble understanding the combat concept. The XCom games were turn based with seconds as a limited resource, but Syndicate and Cannon Fodder were real time click-a-tons. If you could elaborate a bit more on it, it would be good.

Lastly, how about adding digital only tiers? I'd have to pay 25% tax on getting a DVD into Norway, which isn't too tempting, since you are offering digital versions of the game. (Though the postcard would be a nice option :) )
Also many of us don't collect game paraphernalia any more..

Ps. Only criticizing since I like the concept and will be supporting, though holding out for digital tier for now..

Looks like an interesting game, especially with the heroes not being the übermensch we so often see in games.

Also interesting technically that you actually pre-fill G-buffers for the background. But I wonder, why are all the pictures of our heroes are blurry? I'm having a problem looking at them, since nothing seems to be in focus.

I'm also having trouble understanding the combat concept. The XCom games were turn based with seconds as a limited resource, but Syndicate and Cannon Fodder were real time click-a-tons. If you could elaborate a bit more on it, it would be good.

Lastly, how about adding digital only tiers? I'd have to pay 25% tax on getting a DVD into Norway, which isn't too tempting, since you are offering digital versions of the game. (Though the postcard would be a nice option :) )
Also many of us don't collect game paraphernalia any more..

Ps. Only criticizing since I like the concept and will be supporting, though holding out for digital tier for now..

New improved heroes pictures incoming they do suck a bit, also mentioned on the other thread they look like poser peeps so I'll get round to fixing that asap.

Going to do a big update on the combat probably be tomorrow to get finished and grammar checked given my usual dodgy typing skills ;) but unlike xcom the game fully ticks it just stops at regularly intervals for you to give commands. So like Syndicate, cars move and NPC go about their life, so in your turn you can roll the time with a slider to try and predict what's going to happen, of course what actually happens waits until you hit end turn. So far example you might use the turn time slider to see its safe to walk down the left side as a car harmless drives pass on the right, however when you hit end turn an enemy throws a grenade causing the car to plough swerve to avoid and heads for the left side where you told your men to go. Like XCOM you can leave 'opportunity fire' points which allow you to react a bit (TBD if AI does it or pass control back to you). Cannon Fodder reference is more the fun side of it tbh probably should remove that reference might be misleading.

There is 1 digital only tier (not even the postcard) at £15 the one saying *NO POSTCARD FOR NO POSTAGE*, theres also a £15 with game + postcard and a £30 with game + e-book + postcard.

Can someone from the US pledge to a UK Kickstarter?

Yeah, though you have to do the mental arithmetic yourself (roughly 1.6 dollars per pound), also some of the other kickstarter UK peeps have said people have had issue with US cards being rejected for some unknown reason.

But in theory is should be no different from UK. Tho extra postage if you go for a physical perk.

I hope it picks up. I'm going to throw in towards the end. Just gotta do the mental math for my holiday budget first to see what I can throw in towards this. Good luck !

Back