No more kaveri in 2013

Might be a good thing, unless kaveri can compete with intels latest why bother spending more money on it

Might be a good thing, unless kaveri can compete with intels latest why bother spending more money on it

It's always good to improve your relative standing against your competition. I'm really not sure what's happening. Maybe they decided to can it and pull Excavator in instead, for some reason, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

kaveri was more a correction redesign like it is pilediver to original bulldozer, increased ipc in single thread and enhanced power consumption while having a smaller die size at the same process etc

what make me dumb is that was presented almost a month ago as the patch to a lot of problems and the only way to not fall in the irrelevance
I'm only sad for the balance in the market, but if i was an investor at this moment i would be mad

kaveri was more a correction redesign like it is pilediver to original bulldozer, increased ipc in single thread and enhanced power consumption while having a smaller die size at the same process etc

what make me dumb is that was presented almost a month ago as the patch to a lot of problems and the only way to not fall in the irrelevance
I'm only sad for the balance in the market, but if i was an investor at this moment i would be mad
IMho the changes were not that light, the 2 decoders were to change the performances of the chip is quiet some ways. Still plenty were left to be fixed.
Imo they should fused streamrollers and excavators, they are late anyway at this point it is mostly the same if they get only get something really new by 2014 (early 2014).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot going on with Kaveri. The transition to 28nm bulk, GCN, HSA and the Steamroller core was always likely to be a recipe for disaster, or at best a delay.

All that matters is the final performance and then a couple of months extra delay means nothing, same as being 6 months early would be meaningless if it wasn't good enough too.

Back