Question regarding PS3 SKUs

nightshade

Wookies love cookies!
Veteran
Well my 4 year old 40GB died from YLOD recently, and I don't want to pay £60-£70 to get it fixed when Sony is offering me an out of warranty replacement service for £110, where they replace it with a factory refurbished console.

I was asked if I want it to be replaced by an exact same model or if I'd prefer the 120GB slim...what should I choose ? People tell me that the fats have better build quality than the slims, I don't know how true this is. Regardless, I won't be using the HDD anyways because I'll use the SSD drive from my dead PS3 instead.

No reason not to go with the slim. It's cooler and quieter. Unless you particularly like the phat's style and touch button.

Earlier Slims had one or two runs that had somewhat above average failure rates (40GB most I think), but phats overheat far more easily and the recent models all seem quite cool (using less than half the phat's power!)

My phat died a fair while ago, and I currently have two Slims, one 160 and one 320GB model. That one was bought when MotorStorm 3 was released, so you can date it easily. ;)

You can also buy the very latest model of course, like the 16GB one that costs 199 euro here. That one definitely has a cheaper feel though, but you can still add-in any HDD you like (up to at least 2GB) and it's a decent price.

My phat died and my phat refurb died. A phat refurb now is going to be pretty long in the tooth, maybe even having passed through the system more than once. Unless there's some good reason to think the slim will be less reliable (first I've heard of that. Would need to hear more), the slim makes more sense to me as the quieter, more efficient, younger box.

Thanks I asked them to send me a 120GB slim, hope it will last for a while.
I'm surprised that my 10 year old PS2 still works fine without any issues while my current gen consoles keep having issues.

ok, for some reason I simply am unable to restore my data.
It tells me there are things that are locked to the previous PS3, I am fine not being able to back up those contents but it should atleast restore the other things related to that account...no ? But I am being told I can't...what kind of asshattery is this ? I can't even see my cloud saves...wtf is this ?

You can call them to have some of the licences stuff transferred, but your cloud saves should be visible without any issues. Are you sure you've completely recreated your account on the new PS3 successfully? Did you ever use any game sharing?

I'd also make a point of having your old PS3 deactivated if you haven't yet, as that frees up some licences for installing games on multiple PS3s.

May want to head over for Neogaf for advice on specific issues, there's a lot of experience out there, dedicated thread for people who's PS3s died etc. (those threads are usually called something 'My PS3 died and I lived to tell the story' or something like that.

I was able to restore it and get cloud saves working too, apparently it had something to do with activation (as I deactivated all the PS3s from my account). Gutted that all my RE6 and most recent Dark Souls saves are gone though ! Hours of game time, gone just like that.

I take it that if you have Cloud saves, you'll now have nightly uploads enabled in the settings? Or not yet? I have it on, really like having the ten last games I own being updated automatically and all my saves copied to the cloud nightly.

Thanks I asked them to send me a 120GB slim, hope it will last for a while.
I'm surprised that my 10 year old PS2 still works fine without any issues while my current gen consoles keep having issues.

My launch PS2 still runs like a champ. I did recently buy a Slim PS2 that's sitting in the box in case of emergencies. The 360 Elite has been solid for me as well, though I am on my third PS3 (80 GB fat).

My launch PS2 still runs like a champ. I did recently buy a Slim PS2 that's sitting in the box in case of emergencies.

What games do you play with it? I also still have a US-model PStwo, but it hasn't seen any action since FF12 was still new.

What games do you play with it? I also still have a US-model PStwo, but it hasn't seen any action since FF12 was still new.

I missed the whole ps2 generation so I was browsing a forum and saw a dude selling a ps2 with 12 most popular games so I started that backlog. Bought the hitman trilogy recently for 10 bucks. PS2 is a better system than the ps3 on so many levels. FF10 sucks though, fts.

owen said:
I missed the whole ps2 generation so I was browsing a forum and saw a dude selling a ps2 with 12 most popular games so I started that backlog. Bought the hitman trilogy recently for 10 bucks. PS2 is a better system than the ps3 on so many levels. FF10 sucks though, fts.

Nothing beats a console that has 80% of market share and its got a shitload of exclusives doesnt it?;)

I've got a Slim that's used everyday and an original phat still running Other OS - Yellowdog. So it has the PS2 support built in, but I still my original launch PS2 and PS1 sitting in a box somewhere (along with an original XBox, an Acorn Archimedes, and an Amiga A1200)

Nothing beats a console that has 80% of market share and its got a shitload of exclusives doesnt it?;)

Well if the ps3 wasn't such a personal disappoint ment it would totally make the ps2 obsolete. I don't think it matters which one you buy, just get the newest one OR buy a used one cheap.

Well if the ps3 wasn't such a personal disappoint ment it would totally make the ps2 obsolete. I don't think it matters which one you buy, just get the newest one OR buy a used one cheap.

Define disappointment

Back