Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

That is very cool. This is basically the dream game I remember Roberts describing in an interview during the Digital Anvil days. Crowd funding is making it happen. Hopefully they can make it all work.

The single player portion should be pretty big and compelling. That's the main draw for me in this game. The mmo/multiplayer aspect might not be for me as I'm not going to sink in the money and time to become good enough to be competitive. However if they do manage to balance multiplayer to be fun for casuals too then that's extra on top of the single player experience.

Good stuff about the single player part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8jfVhjC2Xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnX4FAP2C3I

The buying ships with money doesn't really bother me. I would be more bothered about those people who sink 8 hours+ a day to the game day after day, month after month and become really good. There is no being best in online games if my gaming is 4 hours a week. I think they need to somehow balance it out for casuals and hardcore gamers.

Today was the 1 year anniversary of the ending of kickstarter.

So they had a big live stream and went into a lot more detail on some things. They are using the tech ryse did for facial animations . The guy who did the iron man ui stuff is working on the huds for this game.

For those on the fence , today is the last day to get stuff with life time insurance.Its not a huge deal as you can buy hull insurance but it is a nice perk.

And 33m was hit

So we got

Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

and the 34 m goal is

MISC Hull C (Discreet) – Scaling from small “box trucks” to massive supertankers, the MISC range of cargo hulls (A-D) are the standard goods transporter in human space. Extremely configurable, MISC Hulls can be adapted for most any type of transport job: from standard bulk shipping on the patrolled spacelanes to armored cargo hauling on the frontier. While these pre-configured hulls are primarily used for legitimate purposes, the MISC Hull Cs have recently become the favorite for criminals who modify the ship with advanced sensor shadow technology, quick-decompress holds and a variety of hidden compartments without modifying the ship’s body so it will appear to onlookers as standard everyday transports

also the avenger rendered using pbr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaR1wHRWX0

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea , we all saw it coming , they were hinting at it since Sept. I for one am happy. Rather they actually use code they intend to release . Plus it gives me time to get a new video card lol

So I was reading Chris Roberts' latest goal which is allocating funding to researching procedural planetary creation in the hopes of one day down the line achieving atmospheric flight and traversing landscapes on planets. At the end I had a nerd moment and Derek Smart came to me.

Just out of amusement I looked him up on Facebook and lo and behold he's still around and had actually posted about that particular stretch goal. Doesn't have very pleasant things to say about Chris and Star Citizen either, even George Brussard and Cliff Bleszinski pipes in.

Was just a weird moment where past nerd memories had interesting clashes with current status of those involved.

That model is f'n amazing looking. Go grab the free copy of WC3 EA is giving away to see how far graphics have come over the last 20 years.

My system back in 94 would take around 3 minutes to load a WC3 mission. My current system loads in about .3 second.

Insane amount of detail going into the ships and damage. I'm going to need a Titan X to play the damn thing.

But will it actually be any fun to play?

I see so much time & effort going into it, vast sums of money, vast!
But I don't see where its supposed to actually be any fun to play & I hate their art design.

A lot of people seem to be projecting all their wishes for 'ultimate space sim' on it.
A lot of the stuff I've heard of/seen which on the face of it seem epic, when I mentally translate into what it might be like to actually play, makes it sound completely no fun.

Chances are if you don't think Elite is/was fun, then you won't think Star Citizen is fun. Star Citizen is basically Elite with better graphics, more ships, a bit of a storyline, multiplayer, a persistent universe, and more.

Just like Elite, some people will just have fun exploring. Some will have fun running trade routes over and over again to make money. Some will find their enjoyment in the space combat. Additionally, some will find fun just mining and crafting.

So, in many ways it's like Eve Online, only with direct control of your ship instead of less direct control. Or Elite + Eve Online + Wing Commander = Star Citizen.

Regards,
SB

Add in a sci-fi fps game as well in that mix. Keep in mind that Chris Roberts is the father of epic space combat games. A lot of the backers would be older PC gamers who loved Wing Commander, freespace, privateer, elite etc. and this is an amazing opportunity to build a massive universe with unprecedented detail that a publisher just wouldn't take a gamble on.

Back