Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

green.pixel

Veteran
http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

fqrF3.jpg

When you enter the code (guess which one ;)), you get this message from Chris:

FROM THE CHAIRMAN:
Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing
Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing
Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not
because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the
limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in
film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going
to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have
the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would
be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year,
something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next
level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with
me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access
to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and
privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early
involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of
the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

If sign up, you'll get access to the RSI site, which includes: a golden ticket, the forums, Time Capsule (universe background), RSI Museum (about Chris and his past projects) and the news section.

His LinkedIn profile suggests that CloudImperium is his new company or project. The above image is pulled from that site by a poster on The Starport forum.

More dug up info on WC News :
http://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/thre...lock-counts-cloudward-september-9-2012.26362/

An unlogoed version of the pic above

Last edited by a moderator:
He wanted to do something much more grand with Freelancer than the final result ended up being. He actually left Digital Anvil in the middle of Freelancer's development. The screenshot definitely looks like a prettier Freelancer / Privateer. A game to watch.

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

About goddamn time! Ironic that we need someone not just from the old guard, but from almost the freaking dawn of PC gaming to do this, because today's industry just isn't interested, willing or able.

OMFG OMFG OMFG

This game must be something else than computer game as it got me exited!
I remember spending countless hours in Elite II on Amiga and later on in X2 and X3 on PC. Still these games left so many things out I felt they didn't fulfill their potential for me. I hope this up and coming project will be so much more!

This game needs to sidle over to Reykjavik and make sweet, sweet lurve to Miss EVE Online. The bastard love-child could be quite something.

His goal is to achieve all that he couldn't a decade ago because of the technological barriers.
Persistent online universe combining aspects of Privateer and Wing Commander for single and multiplayer gaming, in the first person visceral approach that's missing from EVE.
Sounds quite ambitious but very cool too.

Also, running on Cryengine indeed.

Wonder how he's funding its development, if Chris is doing it himself with a few close friends or if his name still has enough cache to get a few investors onboard?

Started with private investors but also wants to bring in crowd funding and provide early access to test components like multiplayer before the game is complete.

Colour me interested, subscribed to the website as soon as I heard about it.
Buy once, play as you want, that's my kind of thing too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-melt-your-pc-with-new-space-sim-star-citizen

What's not mentioned is the graphics stuff.

The player characters are 100k triangles, the fighters 300k. The carrier's hangar bay is 2 million, the entire ship is 7 million. Has 150 turrets to fire, some AA batteries, some larger for big scale combat.

When you fly close to the ships, you can look inside the windows and see the people inside doing stuff. The player characters actually manipulate the controls and such, but you can also wave to each other. You can also fly Millenium-Falcon like ships with multiple crew members operating turrets.

It's all possible because there's no terrain, no environment in space so all resources can be spent on the ships. Art direction is top notch as well, reminds me of the old Wing Commander games (1-2) but also incorporates some of the WWII inspired elements of the WC theatrical movie too.

Funnily enough I've been thinking about why there isn't such a game just recently. Now there is :)

Wow, kudos to Chris Roberts for trying this kind of massive project. Dare I say I will have to buy a Flightstick again??

Sounds kind of like Derek Smart's dream game. ;)

I think I'll wait and see if Chris Roberts can pull it all off. This is reminiscent of his lofty aspirations with Freelancer that didn't work out. He didn't even stick around to finish that game. Wing Commander 4 (his pre-film film) and the actual WC movie were just a touch lacking. I think he needs to prove he can make a game again. It is impressive that he can get this kind of funding after being out of the industry for almost 10 years.

Back