Rocksmith

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Hi All,

Anyone playing this? It's coming out in Europe finally this week, and I'm very interested in buying it. Anyone from the States have any input?

Yours,
A.

I imported the game from states, got turned off by the input lag and the rather horrible song selection. This coupled up with my general dislike towards electric guitar made me give up on this game...lol

I have it and used it extensively.

It pretty much tells you up front that you need to hook up your console using analog audio or the game will work poorly due to latency. The game takes the raw output from the pickup on the guitar and pushes it out (with simulated pedal/amp effects) as your guitar audio in game. A delay in this output is very disorienting. Weigh if the effort to accommodate hooking your console up in this way just to play this game is manageable before you buy.

UI is IMO poor. Unintuitive and slow.

On the good side, I found this a much more effective teaching tool and managed to actually learn to play a few songs competently, something I never managed in Rock Band 3's Pro Guitar mode. I think that the fact that you actually hear your own playing as opposed to just hearing (or not hearing) the correct sample play if you play the note properly is a much better implementation. You can also play notes other than what is dictated by the song tracking without penalty (as long as you also play the tracked notes properly) which, given that your guitar tone mimics the effects from the actual song, allows you to personalize what your playing and is actually very similar to more traditional methods of playing along with a song.

Song selection is OK. Kinda spoiled by Rock Band and the massive library I've accumulated from all of the games + DLC.

If you can deal with the need to use analog audio to use it properly, and you have an electric guitar, I would recommend it.

From what I've seen I would second that the presentation sucks.
I do understand that this guy for example doesn't get it... :LOL:
It is tough to make sense of what is on screen.
Anyway I still believe that the reason so many people fail to learn to play guitar no matter a massive time investment is because as it is the guitar is too complex.
The more I think about it, the more I believe that 5 string in all fourth tuning (like a bass in eadgc) would be good enough for most people uses of the guitar and a saner base to learn, which would not prevent to moving to a plain 6 string later on no matter how you tune it.

EDIT
I also think that the dots (on the fretboard) are more a problem than helping. they should be at the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th fret, so following the circle of fifth (backward so fourth).
It would still serve as a reference but it would make a lot more sense for an harmony pov as well as telling where the notes are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the game and played through a bunch of songs ... so far no complaints! Sure there is a tiny bit of lag, which you can hear best if you just play by yourself using one of the in-game amps and stompboxes (cool! Shifty would approve), but generally it was pretty much plug 'n play.

Anyone here playing this not yet in my friend's list ... add me ;)

So far the interface is pretty decent as well actually, but perhaps it's easier to understand if you're already playing guitar anyway.

Very nice that during any loading screen you just get a random amp sound and can play.

Got the game and played through a bunch of songs ... so far no complaints! Sure there is a tiny bit of lag, which you can hear best if you just play by yourself using one of the in-game amps and stompboxes (cool! Shifty would approve), but generally it was pretty much plug 'n play.

Anyone here playing this not yet in my friend's list ... add me ;)

So far the interface is pretty decent as well actually, but perhaps it's easier to understand if you're already playing guitar anyway.

Very nice that during any loading screen you just get a random amp sound and can play.

To be clear my criticism of the UI was directed at the out-of-song UI. Song selection, mode selection, etc. I found the in-song UI to be perfectly adequate at representing the note tracking.

Glad you're enjoying it. It's a unique experience.

I didn't really like the highway initially, but then I discovered I could flip the strings, and now it feels intuitive and I like it.

I like it even more in stereoscopic 3D :p, much better still! Tried it with the PC demo, which looks promising. May end up double-dipping, we'll see how I feel by the time that version is out.

Is there a demo to test your setup? Seems necessary to me. I could well bite as it'd be great to mix computer gaming downtime with something creative and personal-growth related, but I'd want to know it works.

Is there a demo to test your setup? Seems necessary to me. I could well bite as it'd be great to mix computer gaming downtime with something creative and personal-growth related, but I'd want to know it works.

There's a PC demo but it is very hard to test as it requires the USB cable. I tried my guitar floor board which has a very similar USB out option, but it doesn't seem to work with anything but the official cable. It is not that expensive (20 euro or so) but without it hard to test.

Personally, I think you won't have any problems - as long as you have a guitar with a working audio out, it should work. People most likely to have real issues would have some kind of HDMI surround processing that introduces a big delay. On my TV with HDMI input and audio on headphones, the default lag setting of 50 (ms?) seems to be exactly right. If you have a setup that you can't control opthey recommend configuring audio over analog, for instance on PS3 you can use an old PS2 cable and configure your audio to come from there, but I doubt that's something you'll need.

My advice would simply be to buy it, and return it if you have any issues that prevent you from enjoying the game. So just get it from somewhere you are certain to have a fuss free returns handling.

I played for quite a few hours yesterday, and reached the rank of local headliner. So far it is quite amazing tech, it knows when my bends are good, sustains hold long enough, palm mutes are done ok, hammer-ons are being used. It is much more forgiving for okaying notes during off time, and you get a full playback of your performance afterwards, which is fantastic. It is also quite impressive that they basically manage to make your guitar sound right for the song just using the in-built amps, pedals and stomp boxes (which you unlock and you can fool around with freely yourself, chaining them as you please. It's almost a good thing they have a slight delay, though if they'd be able to kill it, this would be one of the cheapest and most effective emulated amps you can buy)

If the game had a little more stat tracking and online friends list integration, I'd give it a 10/10. Well, and I wouldn't mind if you could oush the difficulty up manually rather than dynamically, because it ramps up a bit slow sometimes. But main criticism initially was that it ramped up too fast sometimes for beginners, so understandable.

Yikes, the framerate on the PS3 goes down the drain when the arena gets large and filled with a big audience. Fortunately the tracking doesn't seem to suffer much, but it's a big annoyance. I'd rather have an option to disable audience altogether if possible. Fortunately I imagine that won't be an issue when I'm playing individual songs, but still, shame on you developers ... ! I guess I'm lucky I can switch to PC later if possible, but really ...

On the plus side, Are You Gonna Go My Way and High And Dry coming up ... joy!

Will keep posting here to report if it makes it unplayable later. Hopefully it at least doesn't get any worse.

EDIT: thankfully got much better right after.

Still playing, this is a great game. I'm really learning to play full songs, and it's going to be pretty sweet to play these with the band-training group some time (we mostly learn to play improvised jazz there, but I know these guys would be up for some Muse, say, as a nice diversion ;) ).

Been playing Cream's Sunshine of Your Love yesterday, up to 74% on that song (70% always unlocks a new pedal or stompbox), and it's a great song, really great feeling. I play standing up and I really feel like I'm rocking out. ;) Will have to work a while yet before I get the solo to 100% though, but playing the two songs in the set that come after it, I'm definitely noticing that I'm getting used to the highway and can get more and more stuff right at first try by sight-reading what's coming at me.

Here's someone who's 100%'d it (though not maxed the score) - clips that show both the guitar being played and the game itself are always the most fun. Will do one of these myself once I've mastered a nice song.

So I tried some of the technique challenges today, and those are actually quite good exercises for all the different techniques in the game that you can come back to as a beginner (though I still enjoy them, as actually for me they're also good training - they scale up well, staying easy but getting harder fast if you're good enough)

Also tried the 'Lenny' (combo) part of Are You Gonna Go My Way today, and practiced that a fair amount. Will be pretty cool to play this together with another guitar player playing the solo riff.

I've also pre-ordered the PC version, which gives access to the PC beta. I plan to play through the PS3 version still, but wouldn't be surprised if I end up playing mostly on the PC because I just have a new PC and it will probably run it more smoothly (and in 3D if I want/need)

Will report what version I recommend if you can get both.

I've also pre-ordered the PC version, which gives access to the PC beta. I plan to play through the PS3 version still, but wouldn't be surprised if I end up playing mostly on the PC because I just have a new PC and it will probably run it more smoothly (and in 3D if I want/need)

Will report what version I recommend if you can get both.
Nice :) I could actually be interested in the PC version (assuming I can find it in US... :( ).

EDIT
Arwin does the game allows to transpose for different tunings? I got used to all fourth in a quarter, and now every time I tune in std tuning it feels weird and unnatural, either way transposing on the fly... with a lot of pain could do the trick.

A present for the answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBtdYn23H8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLkUB4kdXC4
Quiet awesome :)

Seems like a really cool game, actually. I've thought about getting it. Not sure I want to invest in the guitar though.

Seems like a really cool game, actually. I've thought about getting it. Not sure I want to invest in the guitar though.
Well I actually play a rondo music guitar which I paid 99$ (barely above 100$ after shipping).
It's a stratocaster with a mustang scale (24" instead of the usual 25.5") I like it way more than either my Yamaha RGX which cost me 380Euros or my Epiphone LP custom which cost me/ I don't remember was back in time and in Francs.

Fret job could be better, a little home made work fixed it but honestly for 100$ it's amazing what you can buy now, back in time cheap instruments sucked to the point of being not playable, that guitar came set-up properly, nice action, intonation, proper neck relief, it doesn't buzz.
Love it :)
EDIT
Still quiet an investment.
Funny thing is that actually my guitar cost barely more than the jack + the pick I use, throw in a couple sets of strings and you are there :LOL:

Ok, so that seems like a pretty cool deal. I was sort of waiting to see if there was a rocksmith 2 in the works, thinking they'd get some improvements to the design, since rocksmith is the first real attempt at this. Maybe if that doesn't come, I'll jump into rocksmith in the new year.

Just so you know here is their website. Possibly the best bang for the bucks out there.
My guitar is a lot like this one
hawkmn342ts4.jpg

Nice Eric Jonhson vibe :)

Back