Should MS pack Kinect as standard with every XB3? *spawn

N2O

Regular
If MS have a heavy focus on Kinect next-gen then they can count me out. One problem MS may have next-gen is that the majority of core gamers may abandon them.
No one will only focus core games next-gen,but doesn't mean they can only focus one thing in next-gen
Like MS they opened/bought over 10 game studios since 2010,and Sony keep trying to get casual market(right now with wonderbook)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can already count that rumour out based on the fact that they say Kinect isn't packed into every box

I still don't understand why kinect has to be packed in with every 360. Are developers going to support 3 gimmicky controllers next gen? Is there still even demand for kinect?

I still don't understand why kinect has to be packed in with every 360. Are developers going to support 3 gimmicky controllers next gen? Is there still even demand for kinect?

I have to agree with this. Makes more sense to have some breathing room for pricing by not having it standard. If the demand is there for the sensor, it will sell regardless if it's a pack in or not. It's not standard on the 360 now but that hasn't stopped the OS from becoming optimized for it or games from being released for it.

I see no good coming from forcing people to pay more for an item they may not want.

Couldn't agree more, MS please don't pack kinnect with next box.

I probably had more fun at he dentist last year than with kinect.

Spend the more on the GPU so the hardcore early adopters are happy.

Please , no really..

Kinect is more than just waggley party games., at least in potential. If MS don't pack it in with every console, it won't get the support it needs to really flourish, which would be a cracking shame for the tech. If after a couple of years Kinect doesn't prove its value across a load of genres and the system as a whole, then they have the option to drop it from an entry level SKU. But at launch, Kinect is likely going to be the (or at least, a) big differentiator for MS.

As some who watched the potential of EyeToy drop off the radar and fade to oblivion, and motion controls wither to little more than gimmicks, I don't want to see another incredible potential disappear in a puff of unimagination.

I can see them adding a microphone to the box, controller, or their universal remote in order to continue with their bing voice/search integration. IMO, that can be useful, but all the gesture crap can go, it's simply too slow and inefficient compared to using a remote/controller.

I'd prefer they focus on integration of smartglass/surface as an optional interface instead of kinect.

If the actual cost of including it would be around $20, and it is an enhanced version (more accurate, less lag), with the added benefit of interfacing with a much more powerful console CPU/GPU, then it should be a benefit for just about anyone. You'd see way more games and support for it, and cool stuff, pretty much guaranteed. And if the Playstation 4 includes some evolution of Move / PS Eye as well, then the chance that all multi-platform titles will make some form of use of it will be almost guaranteed.

Oh and of course if they find something better than Kinect, that's fine as well of course. But I really hope some form of gesture interfacing becomes standard next-gen. Not all games have to support it, but I really hope a lot of games will.

I've never used a Kinect, the most I know about it is seeing a youtube video where a dad hits his toddler daughter standing right behind him. it's more dangerous than throwing the wii remote at a flat screen.

I would imagine Microsoft will let Kinect 1.0 work on Xbox 720 and then around 2015 release Kinect 2.0 as a seperate SKU.

Since Microsoft bought Perceptive Pixel I think the "multi-touch gesture" technology will be included in the gamepad just like Vita allows for "swiping". The back of a 720 gamepad will have the gesture mouse ability. One finger swipe does this, a two finger swipe does that, and a three finger swipe does something else. A lot of useful potential for games. Navigating the dashboard will also be a breeze with swiping-tech.

Kinect is more than just waggley party games., at least in potential. If MS don't pack it in with every console, it won't get the support it needs to really flourish, which would be a cracking shame for the tech. If after a couple of years Kinect doesn't prove its value across a load of genres and the system as a whole, then they have the option to drop it from an entry level SKU. But at launch, Kinect is likely going to be the (or at least, a) big differentiator for MS.

As some who watched the potential of EyeToy drop off the radar and fade to oblivion, and motion controls wither to little more than gimmicks, I don't want to see another incredible potential disappear in a puff of unimagination.

I don't think it needs to be packed into every SKU, it just needs to sell well enough to warrant the investment. If they offered it in one or two of their SKUs, while also offering it as an accessory, that would give enough opportunity to earn all the support they would need IMO.

By making it a mandatory pack-in, they run the risk to turn people away if they don't want to pay more for a Kinect. If I'm paying $400 for a 720, I much rather have slightly beefier hardware, or a larger HDD than any of my money go towards a sensor that's being forced on me. If it was optional, the BOM can all go towards the actual system, and those that want the sensor can have the option to pay more for it.

In the end, I know I'm being selfish here and my opinion may not reflect the public at large, but I don't want a sensor negatively effecting the results of the core system because MS had to budget for the mandatory pack-in.

I would imagine Microsoft will let Kinect 1.0 work on Xbox 720 and then around 2015 release Kinect 2.0 as a seperate SKU.

IIRC the leaked MS timeline/schedule indicated the new xbox would launch in 2013 and the next kinect would launch a year later.

Kinect has no potential, its useless even for games that are half serious.

Motion controlled gaming without buttons to assist it is useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the actual cost of including it would be around $20, and it is an enhanced version (more accurate, less lag), with the added benefit of interfacing with a much more powerful console CPU/GPU, then it should be a benefit for just about anyone. You'd see way more games and support for it, and cool stuff, pretty much guaranteed. And if the Playstation 4 includes some evolution of Move / PS Eye as well, then the chance that all multi-platform titles will make some form of use of it will be almost guaranteed.

Oh and of course if they find something better than Kinect, that's fine as well of course. But I really hope some form of gesture interfacing becomes standard next-gen. Not all games have to support it, but I really hope a lot of games will.
To be honest, having an SKU which is more expensive because it includes Kinect is quite unfair for those who have Kinect 1 and also don't have enough space to play Kinect standing at a certain distance..

I use Kinect a LOT, but just for chatting and parties and because I prefer it over the headset. It works like a charm I have to admit.

But I'd rather save some money if I went to buy a Xbox 720 and make it home with a game for the money you save rather than Kinect 2, which I might be interested at some point, but not at the very beginning of the generation taking into account I purchased Kinect in early 2011 iirc.

Because (a) you appreciate good food, (2) you were kind enough to invite me down to test out Kinect, (iii) you're the only MS person I know online who I can toss out such bait for, (quatro) you are within driving distance, (•) and importantly, knowing what a swell guy you are, when they did ask for your one little line of input
more audio!!
you spoke up and said to The Steve, "I know this guy, Acert93, who really wants to, "Jump In--Again!" (TM) but we need a killer GPU in this puppy. If he buys an Xbox 3 he will infuence [strike]forums[/strike] social networks around the world to get the Xbox 3. Make him happy, 2TFLOPs +, and we win!" **poof** Ok, that last bit was a dream but the other 4 points all count.

Ok, the real reason is I could poke around your house and snap pictures to post online of your dev kit muwahaaha!

Of course anything below a balance 2TFLOPs GPU gets you a mail in rebate for a fish sandwich at a fast food joint :p I am sure the Advanced Tech guys will conceed that a cheese cake and grilled salmon for bkillian is well worth the extra hardware... right? :LOL: (If you guys go over 3TFLOPs I will personally deliver 5 homemade cheese cakes to a Redmond office of you choosing.) Cheese cake for Teraflops -- you heard it here first folks! I wonder how long it takes to get this throw down into a signature?
This looks like a love story in the making. I am going to see you walk down the aisle! AlStrong, bkillian and Acert93. I'd even help you pick your groom suit/wedding dress! :smile:

I wonder.... who gets to be the best man?

I can see them adding a microphone to the box, controller, or their universal remote in order to continue with their bing voice/search integration. IMO, that can be useful, but all the gesture crap can go, it's simply too slow and inefficient compared to using a remote/controller.
You don't want to add a microphone to the box, the noise levels would be horrible, and some people put their box behind glass or in a cabinet.
I also remember seeing this exact argument "it's simply too slow and inefficient compared to using a remote/controller." ten years ago, except it was "Consoles will never be any good for FPS games, the controller is just too slow and inefficient compared to mouse and keyboard"

I think they will bundle Kinect with every 720, and I think it's likely the none gaming aspects of the shell will use it extensively.
I'm still not sold on motion gaming, but as of right now Kinect is a good way for MS to differentiate from competitors.

Kinect has no potential, its useless even for games that are half serious.

Motion controlled gaming without buttons to assist it is useless.
Who says it needs to be without buttons? That's exactly the sort of closed-minded attitude that has seen amazing potential never get anywhere as developers approach new tech with some pretty outlandish, poorly considered
ideas, which flop, and then they give up. I want to see player tracking while gaming, with intelligent games reading players and adapting. I want to see seamless, natural interfaces that players aren't aware of but just happen.

But there's little point in talking about potential. We did that with sixaxis and barely anyone even tried to use it, let alone used it in the smart ways that were suggested on this board. :(

The answer is yes.

Personal experience. When we moved, I hadn't connected the Kinect back up. Using the controller for media functions was a pain in the ass after getting used to Kinect. Next gen, I'd like the 360 to be by one stop shop for all forms of entertainment (games, music, video, pics, streaming, etc..) and tightly integrated with Kinect.

As for core gaming, I don't want to replace controls necessarily but enhance the experience. That's the key. You keep the userbase intact but you add more to the experience. I honestly don't want to play Halo/CoD etc with a gun in my hand or fingers acting as a gun. However, well refined squad control with voice and other such features would be really good to have.

For fitness games that Kinect can be used for, I'd like to see friendly competition and almost league like setups for peole to compete. With a better kinect, there's no reason why you can't do Insanity like workouts in front of Kinect and have it upload your data.

I believe they should include it and the value add for them to include it is high enough that it need not take away from the power of the console.

I think in order for Kinect to be bundled with every SKU, it would have to improve a lot from the Kinect 1.0. It has to work in every setup and room size with much higher precision. The one with the 360 simply isn't good enough to be a center piece of the total experience. If they really want to push it, then make it much better and include it with every SKU in the beginning, and later on perhaps introduce a new lower price point core unit without it, that would still guarantee a "critical mass" for Kinect to see enough developer support.

Other choice would be to launch with Core and Pro like they did last time, but with Kinect being the main differentiator. Like last time they should make the pricing and overall package skewed towards the Pro model being the most attractive.

The answer is yes.

Personal experience. When we moved, I hadn't connected the Kinect back up. Using the controller for media functions was a pain in the ass after getting used to Kinect. Next gen, I'd like the 360 to be by one stop shop for all forms of entertainment (games, music, video, pics, streaming, etc..) and tightly integrated with Kinect.

As for core gaming, I don't want to replace controls necessarily but enhance the experience. That's the key. You keep the userbase intact but you add more to the experience. I honestly don't want to play Halo/CoD etc with a gun in my hand or fingers acting as a gun. However, well refined squad control with voice and other such features would be really good to have.

For fitness games that Kinect can be used for, I'd like to see friendly competition and almost league like setups for peole to compete. With a better kinect, there's no reason why you can't do Insanity like workouts in front of Kinect and have it upload your data.

This isn't true.

Back