Halo 4 engine downgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
600full-final-fantasy%3A-the-spirits-within-screenshot.jpg

Q3Rjg.jpg

Acert93 said:
What I have said, repeatedly, concerning the technology in the Halo series is that there are a lot of games who simply look at visual check boxes and equate that to technology.
You're overthinking this. In games I don't like, there is no such thing as "tradeoffs," only "downgrades" or "lazy devs" or "bugs" or "design failures." Neither do tradeoffs exist in games I'm a rabid fan of, and just shut up if you're going to point them out. It works like this:

Game A // Game B
I like it // I don't like it
OMG! Best graphics ever! // LOL! Makes my eyes hurt!

I'm sorry, you're right, this is a criticism you've voiced a couple times about Halo games in the past, so I got your posts mixed up. Found the thread I was thinking about and it seems that the people in that topic just decided to ignore you after shooting down your silliness earlier in the thread. Though while looking for that post, it's clear you have no idea how to tell what has high geometry and what doesn't so I still think your post was silly. Unless you've seen some tech papers we haven't, poly count quotes, wireframe screens, etc. there is no way your criticism can be "factual". This is the problem with your post, you think what you see is true, so you take it as fact.

Also I've purchased as much, if not more, on the ps3 this year and I'm looking forward to as many, again if not more, ps3 titles than I am on any other platform. You're the last person that should be talking about how others post regarding these platforms. ;)

I just didn't think your post has any merit, especially since the examples you gave were quite poor in supporting your point.
But I did provide proof and quotes from the devs themselves.
We know KZ2 pushes well over 1 million polys in a typical level, then GG mentioned KZ3 is pushing 3x as much and on top of that 3x the draw distance. So in theory KZ3 could be roughly pushing 4-5 million polys compared to a typical 1.something million in C2.
http://community.killzone.com/t5/Kil...-2/td-p/618127
s1ux50.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ekhclh.png
And yeah I can tell what's POM and what's geometry even though KZ3 uses them both very extensively.

We know KZ2 pushes well over 1 million polys in a typical level, then GG mentioned KZ3 is pushing 3x as much and on top of that 3x the draw distance. So in theory KZ3 could be roughly pushing 4-5 million polys compared to a typical 1.something million in C2.
s1ux50.jpg

And yeah I can tell what's POM and what's geometry even though KZ3 uses them both very extensively.

I really don't see the problem here. Halo games can't look as good as other exclusives?

As for more visually pleasing, I give Halo 4 the nod over Gears and Killzone. I need a break from the grittiness. Same way some people feel when preferring Uncharted over Gears.

And ultragpu... I usually take you seriously on here. But your alter-ego on that other forum takes your Playstation bias to comical levels. So that kinda cancels out some of your arguments.

I still think Halo 3 is impressive. 4 player co-op while fighting 2 scarabs with a tank, a warthog, and two hornets (and fighting all the covenant on and around the scarabs) makes everything since look like a bloody corridor shooter.
Amen. One of my all time favorite levels. I still can't believe they got all that action in there at one time. Reach really needed a mission like that one.

s1ux50.jpg

KZ2 and KZ3 are great looking games but Halo 4 overall looks a bit better than both in lighting, texture quality etc along with having a superior art direction as well..343i is a tremendously talented developer that shoudn't have their technical skills taken lightly nor downplayed like you are doing.We know you are a huge Playstation fan with a deep biased towards Sony which is fine but to say that 360 exclusive's cant look as good or better than PS3 game's is pretty damn silly.

KZ2 and KZ3 are great looking games but Halo 4 overall looks a bit better than both in lighting, texture quality etc along with having a superior art direction as well..343i is a tremendously talented developer that shoudn't have their technical skills taken lightly nor downplayed like you are doing.We know you are a huge Playstation fan with a deep biased towards Sony which is fine but to say that 360 exclusive's cant look as good or better than PS3 game's is pretty damn silly.
How am I downplaying it? And what does this has anything to do being a fan of either consoles? Is it not possible to simply express my opinion on the matter and take it for what it is? And for the record since when have I ever said a 360 game can't look as good as a ps3 game? Geez...

How am I downplaying it? And what does this has anything to do being a fan of either consoles? Is it not possible to simply express my opinion on the matter and take it for what it is? And for the record since when have I ever said a 360 game can't look as good as a ps3 game? Geez...

I believe you misunderstood eachother:

Aye, Killzone in particular is a good example of "low poly geometry" with the many flat angular surfaces and edges. Most notable with ground detail.

He was talking about the first game. It is a valid complaint. It's something I noticed as well, now that they released some HD shots of the HD re-release.

Also, Halo 3 or 4 is pushing about the same number of polygons as the Killzone 2 or 3 shot you supplied. Look at the Killzone shot and imagine the gun model and other player model not being there. Now imagine the thing left of the right thumb in the original image being an ancient alien building, as tall as a house. That you are viewing the scene from a really zoomed out perspective, the cables on the ground being surface sewer pipes.
That would be a scene from Halo; it's not that it uses less polygons per frame, it's just that the environments are 5 times larger. They might appear as 5 times less detailed, but the end result is probably the same. The developers of Halo rather have bland, empty environments instead of packed, small spaces. It really benefits the Halo gameplay, which has always had big environments and scale

Last edited by a moderator:
s1ux50.jpg

You ever heard of occlusion? KZ3 may have levels with couple million polys, but you are not seeing anywhere near that number when playing the game. Per frame is all that matters, not number of polygons on entire level. Thats like saying that consoles are pushing 10+ mil polygons when you play GTAIV at any given time, nonsense.

One artist here already had a good post about KZ3 and poly count, which I think you started. Lots of angular objects =/= lots of polygons. He explicitly showed 1st part of Crysis 2 when you get into NY. You are in park, with alot of very detailed trees all casting shadows, buildings in the back and statue in the middle. That statue was fairly detailed (lot of curves) and while it may not look like that to you, if we could get wireframe of the level, you would see it has good amount of detail, its just that you see what you want to see.

You ever heard of occlusion? KZ3 may have levels with couple million polys, but you are not seeing anywhere near that number when playing the game. Per frame is all that matters, not number of polygons on entire level. Thats like saying that consoles are pushing 10+ mil polygons when you play GTAIV at any given time, nonsense.

One artist here already had a good post about KZ3 and poly count, which I think you started. Lots of angular objects =/= lots of polygons. He explicitly showed 1st part of Crysis 2 when you get into NY. You are in park, with alot of very detailed trees all casting shadows, buildings in the back and statue in the middle. That statue was fairly detailed (lot of curves) and while it may not look like that to you, if we could get wireframe of the level, you would see it has good amount of detail, its just that you see what you want to see.
You know what, I don't wanna start a screenshot comparison but if it's allowed then I would be more than happy to show you what I mean. Also like you said, if you don't wanna see it then it's pointless to convince you, as you can't see the detail in kz3.

You know what, I don't wanna start a screenshot comparison but if it's allowed then I would be more than happy to show you what I mean. Also like you said, if you don't wanna see it then it's pointless to convince you, as you can't see the detail in kz3.
There is no point in comparison when you don't understand what you are talking about. Environments filled with lots angular "boxes" =/= high poly count.

You have already got your answer a year ago from the guy who works as 3D artist for a living, and you continue same discussion? Why?

To remind you of the topic, here

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1532638

There is no point in comparison when you don't understand what you are talking about. Environments filled with lots angular "boxes" =/= high poly count.

You have already got your answer a year ago from the guy who works as 3D artist for a living, and you continue same discussion? Why?

To remind you of the topic, here

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1532638

I think I understand more than you do, I make low poly 3d models as a hoppy in my free time. And in what way angular models when reached a large enough quantity can't equal to or greater than a less numberous amount of circular models? They are polygons, you distribute the budget in however way you want for all shapes and sizes. And it,s not like there are that many curved models in halo 4, the landscape is barren and low poly, that's all I'm saying here.

s1ux50.jpg

Wow it only took you until page 3 to post a KZ screenshot, I'm proud of you, that's progress! :p

I remember you trying to make a similar point before and were told you were wrong. It's amusing that you actually think KZ3 is pushing so many polys at once, that would be well well above other high end console games, and on a platform that is known to struggle with high geometry.

This thread is just getting worse and worse and should have been locked down on page 1.

You can't be surprised when you make silly posts and have people jump on you for it. Before you expressed your opinion as "factual" criticism. Then you comment on me and me defending my favorite console when all I'm doing is pointing out the flaws of your post? Maybe you should think before making such claims.

I think I understand more than you do, I make low poly 3d models as a hoppy in my free time. And in what way angular models when reached a large enough quantity can't equal to or greater than a less numberous amount of circular models? They are polygons, you distribute the budget in however way you want for all shapes and sizes. And it,s not like there are that many curved models in halo 4, the landscape is barren and low poly, that's all I'm saying here.

I guess, geometry instancing makes a difference.

s1ux50.jpg

Watch out when you see these tough boys coming at you! Oh come one ultragpu. Trying to compare KZ with Halo Reach/Halo 4 colour wise is like comparing the Gioconda with the botched Ecce Homo fresco. Not to mention the lore and so on.

Reiko is right, the grittiness of certain games like KZ and GeoW 1&2 doesn't look that good to me either.

You're overthinking this. In games I don't like, there is no such thing as "tradeoffs," only "downgrades" or "lazy devs" or "bugs" or "design failures." Neither do tradeoffs exist in games I'm a rabid fan of, and just shut up if you're going to point them out. It works like this:

Game A // Game B
I like it // I don't like it
OMG! Best graphics ever! // LOL! Makes my eyes hurt!

1000pt Achievement: Signatured!

No need for insults, I only made that assumption based on your enthusiastic posts in the Halo4 topic.

No, no you didn't.

And I think you need to be called on this as this is a pretty disingenious exchange on your behalf. You first said:
Post.1: I am pretty certain that you at one point believed this to be the technical pinnacle of 360 game development as well
Then when called out on this you changed your tune:
Post.2: I only made that assumption based on your enthusiastic posts in the Halo4 topic
There is a pretty big difference between the two statements.

And as a long time poster I see troll bait when I see it and as a long standing member in good standing at B3D I think I deserve a little more respect than putting words in my mouth and then dodging responsibility in a thread that is clearly trolling to begin with. Heck, from he OP, you try to pitch this as a "Halo downgrade thread" and then on god-rays throw those in, not even knowing if they are downgraded but caveat it with "other games do real ones" blah blah blah.

Looks, let's cut through the BS. You are probably a previously banned poster. I don't think any of us care.

But what we do care about is honest exchanges. I think your OP was pretty trashy and lacked any substantial comparisons -- where as the side-by-side links to images to compare?

Furthermore you submarines your own thread when you couldn't come up with a single Technical Upgrade outside of resolution (!)

So maybe, if you want a quality exchange, you will go back, re-frame the OP with some good side-by-side media and then also, be thoughtful, and note areas where Halo 4 looks better than previous Halos.

Because, frankly, if you cannot see where the gameplay footage in Halo 4 looks better than Halo 3 and ODST in particular you are not qualified to make the statements you are.

Which would explain the baiting and lack of substance and dodges when confronted with the silly rhetoric.

Probably because Bungie themselves said the water used tesselation for Halo: Reach.

http://halo.bungie.org/bwu/index.html?item=268

Regards,
SB

Doesn't mean much if it's coming off a non technical staff.

" Though the water is in a near final state, the effects I'm imagining are really a technical mixture of bump mapping, tessellation, and other technical tricks that are apparently well outside the realm of my understanding."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back