My faithful 22" monitor died the final death..

Believe it or not, I did know to do that.... ;)

All better, all fixed. Went smooth as oatmeal, but it's all better. :cool:

Gratz!
Now you can open Samsung/LG repair centre and make some extra $$$ :p

So how much did you spent on capacitors? I bet a bit less than new monitor would cost ;)

So how much did you spent on capacitors? I bet a bit less than new monitor would cost ;)
Total cost was:

$17 for a soldering iron
$1.50 parts
$10 shipping

I overpaid for the shipping, but I'm very impatient.

Glorious to have it back, I haven't gamed since it broke and I had a blast re-playing Sleeping Dogs some more last night...and just now Black Mesa finally came out? It's a sign I tells ya, A SIGN!!!

You should change the thread title with something like died to live again.

Congrats Digi that is pretty sweet work. Did you just put them directly on the board or did you extend them with wires so it would be easier to work with?

Just took apart my SyncMaster 220wm and found the two bad caps on the power board. :(

I don't think I'm good enough to replace 'em, but I might try.....

How did you recognize them as being bad? Were they surrounded by soot?

Also what kind of caps are they? Are they the metal type on motherboards?

Congrats Digi that is pretty sweet work. Did you just put them directly on the board or did you extend them with wires so it would be easier to work with?
Uhm, I have no idea about the extending it with wires thingy. I just removed the old caps from the board and put the new ones in the old holes, bent 'em to hold 'em in place and soldered 'em down. Surprisingly not difficult. :)

How did you recognize them as being bad? Were they surrounded by soot?

Also what kind of caps are they? Are they the metal type on motherboards?
Their tops were bulged out and not flat, that's about it.

IMG_1114%20web.jpg

I found all the info out on this fine page here, really walked me all through it.

Thanks John! Scary thing, it still works great and I feel like a million bucks every single time I turn it on. You just don't get that level of satisfaction buying a replacement. :)

Uhm, I have no idea about the extending it with wires thingy.
It's best not to do that. While ESR isn't a big issue here, there's no point in this case.

I just removed the old caps from the board and put the new ones in the old holes, bent 'em to hold 'em in place and soldered 'em down. Surprisingly not difficult. :)
I hope you trimmed the tails from the back of the via holes.

Their tops were bulged out and not flat, that's about it.
Electrolytics can fail without obvious external signs. Did you replace all three caps in the photo? Are the old caps Suscon? Well done on the repair.

I hope you trimmed the tails from the back of the via holes.
Yup, forgot to mention that. Again, it really wasn't that hard...just a bit nerve wracking being a first-time thing for me. :)

Electrolytics can fail without obvious external signs. Did you replace all three caps in the photo? Are the old caps Suscon? Well done on the repair.
I didn't replace either of the caps in that photo I don't think, it's from a different monitor. It's just the first pict I found showing popped caps. I only replaced the two bad caps I had, they were the two "known to go bad" ones. I figured if the others go bad I can have more fun down the road replacing them, now it'll be easy. ;)

<sigh>

And now it has a vertical red line about 3 inches from the left side that came and went for a while and is now here to stay. Did some research and it's a non-fixable issue, still new monitor time. :(

My Dell 3007 30" TN panel that I bought in late 2006 has been showing some really bad uneven backlighting for awhile now and I've got my eyes on this display as a replacement: http://microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor Probably go for an open box unit since I can check it out for dead pixels and save another $60.

Can't really afford to spring for a replacement 30" these days, and the 27" has a high resolution that almost matches the 3007's 25x16 res. Plus the fact it's a IPS panel with better color gradation (blue skies in a lot of game show banding on my 3007).

Not sure I'd pick that particular model/brand myself, John:
IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology allows for better viewing angles and increased low-quality color reproduction.
(My emphasis.)

;)

Back