NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I read it, sounds like the orbis is ahead of schedule.
Which could mean its a less complicated chip to make.

The note about supercomputer may refer to Durango's one-off customization to maximize compute power. The supercomputing folks are moving to use more mainstream GPGPUs to save $$$ these days.

Orbis was delayed for 6 months. It's also evolved since the old Steamroller and 2GB memory rumor. There was probably a Cell-based early work as well.

No TrustZone may mean another security system is in play.

So, Sony didnt spend a dollar in customizing a byte?.

The CU customization may be it. DF claimed it's separate from the regular GPU pipeline.

Yeah I found the original quote (I think) as I never really saw it myself and only remembered people talking about it. It seems that Sony's delay is open to interpretation as to why it happened.
Thanks, if there's any truth to this guy's story, it look like the Sony delay is not related to MS (could be because Sony change from steamroller to jaguar, because of steamroller cancellation). It says Orbis was already close to mass production. So maybe they shifted engineers on Durango simply because Sony's chip is practically ready. I agree it sounds like Durango had more custom stuff but we already know that, I doubt the esram is an "easy" addition :???:

The note about supercomputer may refer to Durango's one-off customization to maximize compute power. They are moving to use more mainstream GPGPUs to save $$$ these days.

Orbis was delayed for 6 months. It's also evolved from the old Steamroller and 2GB memory rumor. There was probably a Cell-based early work as well.

They wanted to put steamroller in with its super fpus and finally changed to vanilla netbook fpus based cores?.The strangest thing is they for sure knew MS was going to customize its jaguar fpus.And is not like they added cus on change because the 18 CUs were there from the beginning.So if something, apart from the 4 GB upgrade Orbis was downgraded from initial target specs.

They wanted to put steamroller in with its super fpus and finally changed to vanilla netbook fpus based cores?.The strangest thing is they for sure knew MS was going to customize its jaguar fpus.And is not like they added cus on change because the 18 CUs were there from the beginning.So if something, apart from the 4 GB upgrade Orbis was downgraded from initial target specs.

If they have a target in mind, they will find something else to reach the target. This may be why we heard custom compute unit rumors for Orbis.

DF's compute unit comment is somewhat different from VGleaks. There may be further changes after the CPU switch.

I wonder if vgleaks is going to have an article about durango's cpu tomorrow?

They have been tracking people's interest. I wouldn't be surprised if they reveal more about the Durango CPU.

On Orbis side, it's probably more interesting to probe libGCM, TrustZone and the compute units.

The note about supercomputer may refer to Durango's one-off customization to maximize compute power.

Sweetvar also mentions his friend's lack of interest/knowledge in gaming, so his perspective about the hardware is going to be different than most of us would see it. They probably are looking at the overall picture to make that assessment. We OTOH tend to hone in on the CPU/GPU/memory to make our assessment.

These systems are designed to work the way their makers want them to work and not because of some reactionary whim. The fact that some people think its done this way is not only wrong but I find it rather amusing.

Agree, completely. The companies certanly want to achieve their business model and make it an success. Even though they must look over their shoulder for the competitors specs/what they are planning (and adapt if needed/it is easy enough), but it is certainly not done in a fanboy war way, like some of the posters on the internet are implying.

Frankly, I think we would easier guess if these specs are correct or what is missing if we would know more about the business model and what they want to do (casual gaming, core gaming; where will you invest more? do you want to invest in AR/kinect/move (or just chug it along)? what is your main market/demographics? etc.).

One thing for sure I would love, after we have the real specs for both the Durango and the Orbis to debunk, each and every one of these false insiders in a new thread, because in many postings you can see attention "prostitutes" or really bad fanboyism...

I love these threads, only thinking about the possibilities with DVR/Tivo like stuff on the Durango or a share button on the Orbis (uploading gameplay to youtube without knowledge on capture hardware etc.) is really getting me excited, oh and getting better games helps too ;) . I am so glad that both Sony and MS have each other as competitors, only imagine what would be if they would ease up or only need to best Nintendos specs.

Cheers...

If they have a target in mind, they will find something else to reach the target. This may be why we heard custom compute unit rumors for Orbis.

DF's compute unit comment is somewhat different from VGleaks. There may be further changes after the CPU switch.

The 1.84Tflop figure was there since 2011,so if the 4 special cus were there to compensate the weak fpus they still are detraining resources from the target gpu power.

The 1.84Tflop figure was there since 2011,so if the 4 special cus were there to compensate the weak fpus they still are detraining resources from the target gpu power.

I don't know. Is the Steamroller rated higher than the Jaguars in FLOP count ? They may tweak the CUs for compute efficiency rather than FLOP count. I heard the Steamrollers were not that power efficient.

For all we know, there may be extra (minor) compute resources if Sony is not using TrustZone in Jaguar (i.e., DF and VGLeaks were talking about 2 different compute setup). Something needs to run the security kernel. I'm not sure if Sony is comfortable with running their entire security framework with no hardware partitioning.

[size=-2]That Sony CTO was still dreaming and giving interview about exploring Linux on PS4.[/size]

Maybe we haven't heard anything about trustzone or any hardware based secuirity is because the leaks are based on dev kits . Would it be neede in the dev kit documentation?

They wanted to put steamroller in with its super fpus and finally changed to vanilla netbook fpus based cores?
Maybe they were originally thinking of the CPU doing a lot of heavy-lifting, but switched to DSPs and decompression blocks?

I need someone to explain to me how > 100 GFlops are going to be used for ordinary game code, seeing as the rest of the system is taking care of the graphics and audio and usual high-FP-burden code.

Are you saying bgassassin is lying? Wrong? Trolling us? Has bad intel? What are YOU assuming in the process? Honestly bkillian's reply to my question there seems to strongly imply it's not Jaguar at all.
No no, don't put words in my mouth. I just said that there would be no documentation bearing the words "Jaguar". And it's one L, not two. I am not an irish beer :)
I guess you've never seen and not heard a MacMini? Because I have a quadcore i7 and two HDD RAID array in mine and you know what? I never hear it - including the fan. By the way, the types of mics they'd use are directional. They current mics are directional because they don't want to pick up the ambient noise around them, like from A/V equipment and the TV :rolleyes: These types of problems were solved years ago.
Indeed, if Apple are using the fan tech they developed for their macbooks, it's brilliant. It still won't work out at the distances required for a console. The Kinect pipeline gets around 40DB noise reduction, but takes 1/8th of a 360 core to do it. And directional mics, while they _may_ be useful on a mac mini, although I'd doubt it, would not work on a gaming machine where the field of play is something like 100 degrees wide.
So when bkilian says they have the world's first and only open mic with a fan attached, and mentions a static tone remover would work but be daft (it won't deal with non-constant vibrations from HDD and optical), is he lying? Or just being an idiot, because all Kinect needs is a directional mic and that solves all background noise and vibration issues?
Directional mics, as I pointed out above, would not work for a large playspace.

Utter bullshit. This has been debunked by BKilian on these B3D forums. MS never provides a spec-sheet and tells the developers to go build a dev-kit.
Yep, for multiple reasons. One of them being that MS always owns Dev kits, this way, if a game company goes bankrupt, MS can claim back their property without it being able to be auctioned off.
The MacMini sits on a glass desk, the same one I use. And yeah, of course it vibrates. Slightly. Again directional mics to capture sounds ahead and not indiscriminately. This isn't expensive technology, it is, and has been, used in all sorts of consumer gear. Phones, tablets, portable gaming machines. It's already cheap.
Phone mics use a simple form of noise reduction. They don't have to be amazing because your mouth is literally an inch from the mic, and it's mono. Some phones use a second mic to try remove ambient noise. I don't know how good those are, but again, the second mic is 5 times further away from your mouth as the first, but almost the same distance from ambient noises. I could probably write a filter that isolates the voice in a system with that configuration pretty easily. The Kinect stuff, on the other hand is a different ball of wax. For instance, your speakers are most likely much closer to the mics than the player, and have a lot more energy. The audio tech behind kinect is the CS equivalent of rocket science, and took a good six months of 12 hour days by a reasonable sized team, including a full time researcher, to get right. From the research page on AEC:
Stereo, and later multichannel (for surround sound systems), acoustic echo cancellation is not a trivial problem and sparked a lot of interest in the research community. The problem is that the stereo channels are highly correlated which leads to infinite number of solutions. Only one of them is the real solution, for all others the AEC has to readapt when something changes in the stereo signal.

I don't know. Is the Steamroller rated higher than the Jaguars in FLOP count ?

No. 8 1.6 GHz Jaguars would be the same max theoretical flop count as 4 3.2 GHz Steamrollers. Jaguar can issue one 128-bit FPADD and 128-bit FPMUL per cycle per core whereas Steamroller could issue 2 128-bit FPMAD per module (two cores). So in terms of flop count, both can execute 8 single precision flops per clock per core.

I think the biggest performance difference between Jaguar and Steamroller is the number of instructions that can be decoded per core in the frontend. For Jaguar it's two and for steamroller it will be four.

No. 8 1.6 GHz Jaguars would be the same max theoretical flop count as 4 3.2 GHz Steamrollers. Jaguar can issue one 128-bit FPADD and 128-bit FPMUL per cycle per core whereas Steamroller could issue 2 128-bit FPMAD per module (two cores). So in terms of flop count, both can execute 8 single precision flops per clock per core.

I think the biggest performance difference between Jaguar and Steamroller is the number of instructions that can be decoded per core in the frontend. For Jaguar it's two and for steamroller it will be four.

Well having FMA instructions in Steamroller automatically makes it better. Durango will be a compute monster with 8 fmas and access to ESRAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. It doesn't. I've taken the specs as they've been reported and explained what function they would have in that system. The motivations behind the design decisions don't enter into my argument whatsoever, no matter how many times you attempt to drag it into the equation.

1) You noted some possible uses of that kit, but not all. Don't pretend that you are the only person out there who fully grasps all that the machine is capable of please. At this point none of us do. Show some humility ffs man.

2) Your premise was that they built the architecture weak first and then were forced to add the extra kit to boost its performance. THAT is an assumption about the motivations behind Durango's design choices which you have yet to justify.

It's obvious you are not equipped to even understand, let alone dispute the substance of my argument, so keep in mind this will be my last response to you.
Cute.

So it smartly avoids limitations that exists in the Durango to give near peak performance, while simultaneously improving performance on Orbis by minimizing unnecessary memory access.
You didn't actually respond to the points I raised specifically on your assumption here. You don't even know what Durango's setup is capable of at this point yet you are eager to gloss over points raised by others just to assert that whatever works well for Durango must just automatically work as well or better for Orbis? I am certain I have read ppl on this very forum lay out criticisms of exactly this assumption. Maybe they were wrong. The same counter argument was made in that article from that Spanish blog that made the rounds a week or two ago.

Did you read through this? http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=es&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fjosepjroca.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F02%2F08%2Fdurango-nos-hace-coger-el-delorean%2F

The very last paragraph or so specifically is worded in a way that seems to suggest Orbis wouldn't be leveraging virtualized asset stuff as thoroughly.

It wasn't a rhetorical gimmick. I was calling you out on your obvious hypocrisy you ass.
Oh goodie, a tantrum. :???:

YOUR entire argument assumes I must be irrational, and hinges on a misreading I've already corrected for you.
No, my 'entire argument' is critiquing your assumptions, which is absolutely based on a premise that you've yet to justify with any evidence. According to what you said earlier the extra kit isn't there to leverage virtualized asset handling in a meaningful way, it's just there to reduce a performance gulf between Durango and a competitor's console that MS didn't even know about when these decisions were likely being made.

YOUR first post accused me of being blind to reality.
Quote me saying this please. Nobody is attacking you. There is no need to have a meltdown trying to defend your arguments with personal attacks and arrogant, condescending assertions left and right. You can defend your premise without that emotional baggage. It's OK to note an assumption you have made and then carry arguments based off of that through to conclusions. There is nothing wrong with starting with an axiom. Us physicists do it all the time. But pretending like it's not there isn't helpful and only misleads ppl when your posts are so bloated with arrogance.

Again, this is all moot IF you have a case to make that MS was only adding kit to reduce the performance gulf relative to a system they knew nothing about at the time.

This is rich, considering you are challenging me on technical aspects you clearly don't understand. YOUR entire tactic has been to attack my character and invent false motivations to draw my analysis (which you couldn't follow) into doubt.
Ooook guy. Moving on now...you clearly would rather have an emotional meltdown and feign victimhood than engage in skeptical inquiry. Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
No no, don't put words in my mouth. I just said that there would be no documentation bearing the words "Jaguar".

I wasn't putting words in your mouth so much as making an inference from your post, which I assume is limited somewhat in what it can convey directly. If MS has never referred to the CPU as related to Jaguar directly it suggests there are some differences in how they operate and/or perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back