NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure both Jaguar CPUs are 64 bits...

One is listed as Jaguar x64 --Durango.

The other one is listed as Jaguar x86 --Orbis.

So maybe Orbis is 32 bits + 54 CUs or 64 bits + 22 CUs? :smile2:

Big difference there, Orbis CPU could be either 32 or 64 bits.

No, both CPU's are 64bit /x64. That's a definate fact. The point has gotten confused though. The original post was talking about SIMD width. In that case I'm pretty sure Jaguar has 128-bit SIMD ALU's so would be able to perform 256-bit operations every other clock cycle.

It could be because earlier PS4 specs started with Steamroller. It was revised to Jaguar later. Is there a 32-bit Jaguar ? Why would Sony downgrade it from 64-bit to 32-bit ?

I don't necessarily think Orbis will be supermarket style or easier to build. Earlier on, people disbelieved that Orbis would have 4GB high bandwidth memory.

They simple have different goals. MS wanted Durango to have 8 GB RAM it seems.
Well, it sounds like Xbox to me in the sense that PS4 is the powerhouse this next generation, and it reminds me of the PS2/Xbox era, where the Xbox 1 was made from off-the-shelf PC components and thus hosted many PC ports, factored into that fact also.

As it is now, if rumours are true, PS4 is largely built from at least one *off the shelf* high-end PC component -the GPU-, along with hybrid parts like the CPU -unseen before- and maybe an audio DSP, which I would love to see this generation, but I think it is a very efficiently straightforward and fast design built for power.

I think Sony are going to reveal all the secrets this February 20th. I am really really curious about what they come up with, knowing their track record of heavily delivering on in house customized hardware.

As it is now, if rumours are true, PS4 is largely built from at least one *off the shelf* high-end PC component -the GPU-, along with hybrid parts like the CPU -unseen before- and maybe an audio DSP, which I would love to see this generation, but I think it is a very efficiently straightforward and fast design built for power.

Not commenting on the rumors, but what constitutes "off the shelf" in this case.

It could be because earlier PS4 specs started with Steamroller. It was revised to Jaguar later. Is there a 32-bit Jaguar ? Why would Sony downgrade it from 64-bit to 32-bit ?

They could use the CPU with 32 bit pointers instead of 64bit ones : on x86-64 CPU, this can be done e.g. under linux by recompiling your kernel and software, this is called "X32".

With exactly 4GB of memory this would be unlikely as this would require to waste memory to give address space for your I/O - it's precisely windows XP's 3.25GB or 3.5GB problem.
Unless you do bank switching to claim back that missing 0.5GB. But I don't know how silly that idea is.. This would have certainly made sense if/when the PS4 was supposed to have 2GB memory and as long as the GPU supports 32bit pointers too.

Or I don't know which small of an address space you can get away with to talk with peripheral and storage. Imagine it's 128MB, you could thus have 3.5GB reserved for games, 384MB reserved for the OS and 128MB wasted memory.

It's ridiculous but back in the days you could get a 286 or 386 PC with 1MB memory, at a horrendous price (esp. if you want a graphical monitor, a hard drive etc.) and end up using 640KB of it ?!

Last edited by a moderator:
They could use the CPU with 32 bit pointers instead of 64bit ones : on x86-64 CPU, this can be done e.g. under linux by recompiling your kernel and software, this is called "X32".

With exactly 4GB of memory this would be unlikely as this would require to waste memory to give address space for your I/O - it's precisely windows XP's 3.25GB or 3.5GB problem.
Unless you do bank switching to claim back that missing 0.5GB. But I don't know how silly that idea is.. This would have certainly made sense if/when the PS4 was supposed to have 2GB memory and as long as the GPU supports 32bit pointers too.

Or I don't know which small of an address space you can get away with to talk with peripheral and storage. Imagine it's 128MB, you could thus have 3.5GB reserved for games, 384MB reserved for the OS and 128MB wasted memory.

It's ridiculous but back in the days you could get a 286 PC with 1MB memory, at a horrendous price (esp. if you want a graphical monitor, a hard drive etc.) and end up using 640KB of it ?!

That would be OS limitation. What does PS3 GameOS use ? (PS3 Linux was 64 bit if I remember correctly).

Orbis is rumored to have 16GB Flash RAM (Vita has 4GB built-in). Don't they want to map those as well ?

Holy Shizz Orbis GPU is custom made confirmed, I just knew those 4 special CUs would make Killzone 4's smoke look like the 2005 target render.

Just wondering what the line in the sand is that separates custom parts from "off the shelf" parts.

Custom bought by MS, off the shelf bought by Sony.

Im pretty sure that's the only criteria used here. Maybe Ms renaming some parts had done the trick.

Just wondering what the line in the sand is that separates custom parts from "off the shelf" parts.
Vgleaks said Liverpool is based on southern islands, but is an enhanced version of the architecture. I'm not sure how far we can stretch the definition of off-the-shelf. Both are clearly custom parts based on existing technologies from AMD. For me it's just questionable semantics (like trying to define what "minor" means, stretching it until it means zero).

That would be OS limitation. What does PS3 GameOS use ? (PS3 Linux was 64 bit if I remember correctly).

Orbis is rumored to have 16GB Flash RAM (Vita has 4GB built-in). Don't they want to map those as well ?

Well I wanted to address the talk of "why would they spend resources turning Jaguar into 32bit" and that 32bit talk.. which came out of nowhere actually.
Sure we can say it's 64bit.
The funny thing is I guess the console wakes up thinking it is a 16bit 8086, maybe just for one millisecond before turning into a 64bit multicore monster but that's what my poor PC does when I turn it on :LOL:

Holy Shizz Orbis GPU is custom made confirmed, I just knew those 4 special CUs would make Killzone 4's smoke look like the 2005 target render.

double-facepalm_article_full.gif

A double facepalm! this is incredible.
I wonder if it is a 14+4 facepalm, and who is the 14, who is the 4.
Let's see... it's a composite of two different episodes from the third season.
Picard is from episode 13, so 1+3 = 4
Riker is from episode 14

(yes, it's true. I looked it up. Deal with it. I don't have any regrets.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back