NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this thread, in this section, means business discussions wouldn't belong here. This is suppose to be just the technical aspects of what's been leaked. This thread shouldn't be "the craziest", as long as the business aspects stay out. ;)

I don't believe the specs will ever be announced by MS, so that only leaves us the leaked info to go by. Sony never announced that RSX was downclocked, did they? In other words, it doesn't get much better than this. At the same time, this thread must exist. It seems perfectly sane.

It's the craziest, not because of the occasional business oriented discussion (which could impact technical specs).

No, the crazy part is that some many people have formed such strong opinions verging on the certainty that this console or that conforms to how they interpret the bits and pieces of rumored specs that we have gotten without knowing the whole picture.

Speculation is fine. I join in on that as well. But when speculation leads to comments like X console is doomed to failure or Y console is going to blow away X console, etc. That goes a bit beyond speculation talking about the technical merits or possibilities inherent in the VERY little information we actually know.

Regards,
SB

Not so clear cut. Sony's tools may hamper progress (e.g., the FXAA guy said he doesn't expect low level GPU access in first year). Lead platform, budget, art, schedule may also affect production...

And you don't expect that to be the case for MS as well?

With both seemingly going for an ongoing platform which will grow and facilitate BC, I don't expect either will have direct low-level access as they used to in the past...

Lead platform will make little difference. They're both pretty much the same. Just one has more resources to play with.

Pretty straight forward to me ...
I do agree on that, actually what concerns me is on the CPU side and how much resources respectively Sony and MSFT lock down for OS/etc.. It is way either to adapt the graphic workload (basically the system being close it is "just" a matter of toying with resolution) than the "rest".

I do agree on that, actually what concerns me is on the CPU side and how much resources respectively Sony and MSFT lock down for OS/etc.. It is way either to adapt the graphic workload (basically the system being close it is "just" a matter of toying with resolution) than the "rest".

Too early to call IMHO. Not enough info (lotsa discussion points, which is great for us).

It's the craziest, not because of the occasional business oriented discussion (which could impact technical specs).

No, the crazy part is that some many people have formed such strong opinions verging on the certainty that this console or that conforms to how they interpret the bits and pieces of rumored specs that we have gotten without knowing the whole picture.

All the result of 8 years without new hardware. :)

Anyway, perceptions are to be set most likely by TFLOPS figures...

I disagree.

Perceptions will be made on the first batch of multiplats (at launch).

At that time, if/when Durango titles do not appear up to snuff, gamers will take note and MS can kiss the lucrative xblg money goodbye.

@ hardknock

The bandwidth + ROP + CU disadvantage will be difficult to ignore

Speculation is fine. I join in on that as well. But when speculation leads to comments like X console is doomed to failure or Y console is going to blow away X console, etc. That goes a bit beyond speculation talking about the technical merits or possibilities inherent in the VERY little information we actually know.

Regards,
SB

Aren't those statements tempered with "if true" or "unless 'moar sauce' pops up"...? In those cases, it would be correct. If things are left as it is, would those comments would be incorrect or far off?

I agree we indeed do not know, still it is more an issue that adjusting (lowering) say resolution.

I don't know enough about both h/w. Plus the single parameter comparison may be too isolated/piecemeal.

I wanted to say it's more clear cut if we raise the bar. Say 1080p 3D 60fps. But the devs will figure out how to get there with their own bag of tricks. In the end it may be a mixed bag of outcome too, depending on what the devs hope to highlight on each platform. The TCRs may also get in the way.

EDIT: If you look at first parties' output, you can't really compare them across platform either.

Too early to call IMHO. Not enough info (lotsa discussion points, which is great for us).

Granted, we don't have an official unveil by Sony & MS, but we do have leaks which have been "confirmed" by devs.

Until this info is deemed inaccurate, it's the best we have to go off of.

Also side-note, none of the info presented has been reacted to with a sense of discrediting by those in the know which leads me to believe it's either 100% accurate, or close enough to make educated guesses about the future of both platforms.

Granted, we don't have an official unveil by Sony & MS, but we do have leaks which have been "confirmed" by devs.

Until this info is deemed inaccurate, it's the best we have to go off of.

Also side-note, none of the info presented has been reacted to with a sense of discrediting by those in the know which leads me to believe it's either 100% accurate, or close enough to make educated guesses about the future of both platforms.

Whatever float our boats I guess. ^_^
I'm just an outsider, perhaps like yourself.

Aren't those statements tempered with "if true" or "unless 'moar sauce' pops up"...? In those cases, it would be correct. If things are left as it is, would those comments would be incorrect or far off?

When it does sure. But if you look back over the past 50 pages, you'll see quite a lot of ones that don't and verge on statements rather than just speculation.

Regards,
SB

I disagree.

Perceptions will be made on the first batch of multiplats (at launch).

At that time, if/when Durango titles do not appear up to snuff, gamers will take note and MS can kiss the lucrative xblg money goodbye.

@ hardknock

The bandwidth + ROP + CU disadvantage will be difficult to ignore

Dont forget the graphics/specs winner never won the generation if i have to believe a lot of folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back