Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

A very embarrassing resolution for a nextgen console, this doesn't bode well for Phantom Pain XBone version considering it's more graphically intensive than Ground Zeroes.
Once I'm done with Halo 5 and QB by next year I'll be selling my Xbone if MS doesn't show any more interesting exclusives. There's no point keeping a 720p box in my lounge room for a 65" TV:(.

If the xbox one had the same cpu/gpu but with 8go gddr5, do you think it could render this game at 1080/60 ? The ram configuration seems to be the real issue.

Kudos to Kojima for being this honest before launch [same happened with CODGhosts].

If the xbox one had the same cpu/gpu but with 8go gddr5, do you think it could render this game at 1080/60 ? The ram configuration seems to be the real issue.

Doubtful... the problem of weaker GPU still remains.

I wonder what features are causing such a massive cut for the XBone tho. I guess it's fully deferred renderer with Physically based shading and being open world hurts it a lot.

Kudos to Kojima for being this honest before launch [same happened with CODGhosts].

Doubtful... the problem of weaker GPU still remains.

I think the game would have been in 1080p, MGS GZ is a cross platform game and the memory configuration of Xbox One is not good for 1080p. Forza is a car game and resolution and IQ of car game are better than other game (GT, Forza, Need for Speed, Wipeout HD), sports games and indie games are not very intensive for hardware. And Forza 5 is 1080p but without MSAA...

The cross gen games are the worst situation for Xbox One. The assets and shader are not truly current gen. The only true Xbox One title is Ryse 900p but good visual.

if MGS5 is released on PC, watch the performance of a 7790 could be very interesting.:devilish:

And I am a PS4 owner only...

EDIT: I think some people runTitanFall on a 7790 in 1080p. It is the same situation...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the game would have been in 1080p, MGS GZ is a cross platform game and the memory configuration of Xbox One is not good for 1080p. Forza is a car game and resolution and IQ of car game are better than other game (GT, Forza, Need for Speed, Wipeout HD), sports games and indie games are not very intensive for hardware.

The cross gen games are the worst situation for Xbox One. The assets and shader are not truly current gen. The only true Xbox One title is Ryse 900p but good visual.

if MGS5 is released on PC, see the performance of a 7790 could be very interesting.:devilish:

And I am a PS4 owner only...

EDIT: I think some people runTitanFall on a 7790 in 1080p. It is the same situation...
60fps is the key word here. Not sure if Ryse would even hit that by dropping down to 720p since it's struggling 24-30fps at 900p.
Honestly I'd rather they drop it down to 30fps for XBone version while try to attain 1080p. You get a nice crispy image and 30fps should be just fine for an espionage game like GZ.

Isn't the resolution of the game specified on the cover anyway?

Covers never list native rendering resolutions. Both of them will most probably have same resolutions listed [my copy of KZSF has everything listed from 480p to 1080p].

Yes, the cover only shows output resolution. That could be native or upscaled and you'd never know until you see the game running.

On paper the ps4 isnt 2x as powerfull as the Xbox one but here we are. The Xone must have a major bottleneck.

16 ROPs vs. 32 ROPs in the PS4 ?

I'm no expert on GPU pipelines, but don't create more output of a water pipe let's say creating a small swimming pool in the middle.

On paper the ps4 isnt 2x as powerfull as the Xbox one but here we are. The Xone must have a major bottleneck.

What about all the multiplats (the silent majority as far as I know) that are 1080 on both? Maybe there's your answer, outliers. Meaning if console X is 50% more powerful as Y, you'll likely get some games that run 2X as well and some that run the same, I suppose.

Also last gen there would have been a lot of accusations of "lazy developer" if one, more difficult to develop for, platform had an inferior version...

Honestly I'd rather they drop it down to 30fps for XBone version while try to attain 1080p. You get a nice crispy image and 30fps should be just fine for an espionage game like GZ.

I agree. They did that method with Tomb raider though, and there seemed to be just as much public backlash, if that matters.

It is disappointing a bit though, this is the 2nd game now (besides Ghosts) with a 1080/720 split. I was kind of expecting the gap to shrink as time went on, and it had seemed to. Of course really the jury is still out. If bombshells like this keep coming though, MS better get those price cuts ready.

16 ROPs vs. 32 ROPs in the PS4 ?

Best guesses are that or the ESRAM not having enough room. I lean ESRAM since Rebellion tabbed it, whereas I have not heard any devs implicate the ROPS.

Of course it does. According to most reports, it has half the ROPs of PS4. No 53Mhz upclock would ever overcome that difference.
The EDRAM could be making all the special sauce it wants for memory bandwidth, but it can't make up for the huge difference in fillrate.

Best guesses are that or the ESRAM not having enough room. I lean ESRAM since Rebellion tabbed it, whereas I have not heard any devs implicate the ROPS.

There was an interesting statement from Rebellion on digitalspy.co.uk I didn't see here yet:

"I think eSRAM is easy to use. Part of the problem is that it's just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It's such a small size within there that we can't do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

"It means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on.

IMHO... tricks & tiling => more SDRAM traffic => more bandwidth out of the already lower BW... or do you directly pump the pixels from ESRAM to the ROPs ?

Last edited by a moderator:
DieH@rd & Shifty's Bitch

I know they don't say what's the native resolution on PS3/360 but I thought they did specify if the game was upscaled on Xbox One.
My mistake.

Back