Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Interesting, I guess we need to understand the scale and structure of the "open world" first.

I'm sure others will give more examples but I've played very few "open world" or "sandbox" at games least with no loading if you exclude "fast travel".

Saints Row 2 had no loading when exploring and going in/out of buildings/structures. One of the few games out there and I was quite impressed how seemless it was on xbox360.

(havent played Saints Row 3 or Just Cause 2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope they get a editor to go over the story. MGS4 had one of the most poorly written scripts in AAA gaming budget history!

There was so much repetition that I was shocked that nobody from the team fixed it during play through

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42389235&postcount=4979

-Loading is always done in the background, so it’s basically an open world where loading screens do not exist.
- The exception to this is when you travel by helicopter—there a loading screen will be inserted.
-There will be many Grand Theft Auto-style open worlds, and these are connected by helicopter.
-The video that has been released is of the prologue stage, so it’s a small open world. There are bigger ones.
-The game has a concept of time, so it varies from morning to afternoon, and then to night in real time. [This could mean "game time," I'm not sure.]
-Before using the FOX Engine on other titles going forward, they want to create the standard with open worlds.

I wonder how well the open world goes with the stealth gameplay. Even in that short gameplay footage they had to backup the car or they would have been spotted.

I want to know the escape sequence, in all the old MGS games, the escape sequence are a pain or I just suck. Once you have been spotted the gameplay is not fun.

I wonder how well the open world goes with the stealth gameplay. Even in that short gameplay footage they had to backup the car or they would have been spotted.
Deus Ex HR is KINDA open world/sand box stealth game altho Metal Gear games has always had sand box elements in them.

Deus Ex HR is KINDA open world/sand box stealth game altho Metal Gear games has always had sand box elements in them.

More than a KINDA. Area in Deus Ex are so tiny & limited with loading; it tries to appears an open world but it's more like mgs3.

That's how HUB world game design works, MGS3's design isn't based around a HUB it's different.

You can backtrack if you want to and you have a LOT of ways to approach a mission with alternative routes and multiple ways to accomplish an objective or even a boss fight. For example the there were four to five different ways to escape out of the prison cell in MGS3.

Kojima has said that the open world nature of Ground Zeroes has taken a toll on the visuals but the lighting has not been impacted.

http://gamingbolt.com/mgs-ground-ze...-open-world-but-not-lightning-mgo-possibility

Ouch!!! so it might be the pc version for me then, i hope not.:cry:

To take it's toll means they had to cut back or it's not running good. I hope it's just a performance problem, If they can't push for the visuals the FOX engine could lose it's edge or purpose for that matter. If they make any more drops they should just buy the license to use the crysis engine. that engine is a beast when it comes to open worlds.

Sounds like it's the game Kojima wanted to make originally with MGS4.
Can't wait to see to how this game will turn out.

new post on Ground zeros

visuals and content to be pushed in the final cut.

We have to inspire the world like our Olympians. We will show the world our ability, driven by all our soul and passion.

What you're seeing with Fox Engine is much more than just an evolution in horse power; this is an engine designed to render the contents of Hideo Kojima's brain onscreen, from the most delicate refinements to the brutest insanity.

This is not just a tech demo," stressed Kojima.
I don't think you'll be waiting too long, but we're not going to release it until it's ready.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-insight-direct-from-japan/?page=1#top_banner

Hmmm, interesting. so maybe the compromises that he bumped into earlier could just be for the meanwhile. i'm really hoping for some nice visuals to debut on this fox engine of theirs. with what they're pushing for they got most of the competition beat.

Hideo Kojima has posted some new FoxEngine screens (click to enlarge).
http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=3924

Ah, they show Ground zero snake with his true hair color, it's still brown.
Fox-Engine-Screen-3.jpg

Brainstorming

which means it is going to take place right after peacewalker. so chronologically to put things into perspective phantom pain wouldn't be in between the two because the story wouldn't have enough time to fit ......as far as this new physical situation goes.

and phantom pain technically could be a sequel of ground zeros......but who in their right mind would release a sequel when you haven't even played the game before?

so phantom pain could be a side story but with one of these other snakes.
metal-gear-solid-peace-walker.jpg

......food for thought. :smile2:

this should get a new thread called Ground Phantom Zero Pain. :smile2:

Back