Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

It seems like they've been all over the place in terms of intended platforms. Some journos at PAX said they would not commit to specific platforms when asked point blank, but the official videos have big PS3 and 360 logos on them. After the Japanese presentation it was being reported that they had confirmed PS3/360 and PC, but no one seems to be able to pin them down any more. IIRC when the Fox Engine was originally debuted (in the infamous Transfarring video) Kojima said all his future Fox Engine games would be cross-platform for PS3, 360, PC and Vita.

Watched the direct feed gameplay again, and t eenglish translator confirms that SNake has come to get CHICO and PAZ out. So, CHICO is the kid in the prison and PAZ is also inthis prison camp. So, that means the girl the burnt guy was talking about is not PAZ.

So that means that if it wasn't multiplat there wouldn't be any A2C? You would suddenly also have tessellation? I don't understand whats your point. If game on consoles looks close to what was shown with yesterdays trailer, I dunno what is the game that would surpass it, let alone that there are "many PS3 exclusives" that already did. UC2 is also not be all end be all, neither is LOU. They are still jaggy, they still have low resolution shadows, they still have no AF etc. That doesn't stop them from being visual marvels though.

Its not about PS3 vs 360... i see nothing special in the demo.Tell me whats there what we havent seen on consoles please. I am expecting half res for lights/shadows/SSAO which we have seen on stage. I will never trust Kojima again after TGS 2005.. he talked its realtime on PS3 devkit with a near final specs too .... same bullsh*t as "its running on PC with similarly equipped to a PS3" ... what? really? what means "similarly" i5,2GB RAM 560ti? i7 4GBRAM or 12GB RAM with 680 GPU??? i hate this bad PR..

Watched the direct feed gameplay again, and t eenglish translator confirms that SNake has come to get CHICO and PAZ out. So, CHICO is the kid in the prison and PAZ is also inthis prison camp. So, that means the girl the burnt guy was talking about is not PAZ.

Those are characters from Peace Walker right? I hope the story can stand well enough on it's own for anyone who hasn't played Peace Walker. Especially since this is the first MGS game on the 360.

Is Peace Walker any good? I may pick it up since it's probably cheap by now, and would justify still having my PSP around.

If this could run on a ps3, they would show it on a ps3. Obviously, they are just hoping that they would achieve this by the time the game ships, but we all know it won't be the same.

There's nothing in there that you don't see in Crysis 3 running on a 360, which in fact is doing a lot more and is actually an open world game.

I got a strong BF3 vibe from some stuff they showed. I think that the game will never look like this on consoles. There are not enough visual artefacts imo, but maybe it is just the bad video capture. Furthermore, they used a PC to demonstrate it...that is like a proof that console versions won't look that good...I hope for a PC version, or they should make it at least exclusive to one console platform to fully concentrate on the game.

Either way, I am in Snake...

Its not about PS3 vs 360... i see nothing special in the demo.Tell me whats there what we havent seen on consoles please. I am expecting half res for lights/shadows/SSAO which we have seen on stage. I will never trust Kojima again after TGS 2005.. he talked its realtime on PS3 devkit with a near final specs too .... same bullsh*t as "its running on PC with similarly equipped to a PS3" ... what? really? what means "similarly" i5,2GB RAM 560ti? i7 4GBRAM or 12GB RAM with 680 GPU??? i hate this bad PR..
Its not that we haven't seen techniques used in trailer in other high profile games, its the attention to details that goes with it. Look at animations in cutscenes, reflections when they are driving past helipad, nice use of DOF and character models (helmets for example). All those things where seen, but this thing has such a high production values that those things pop out more, thats why people are wondering if this is going to run on current gen consoles.

And if I remember correctly, Kojima demoed MGS4 on PS3 devkits in 2005. Problem is, they were more powerful than what they got with retail machines. He never had intention to lie about it...

Two completely different circumstances. The hardware changed to in affect getting downgraded. It basically was running that 2005 demo on a high spec 7800 gtx if I remember correctly and what he got was a GPU's bandwidth performance cut in half.

You have to remember in 2008 nobody were using the Cells properly, you had whole cores running idle. That technology demo in 2005 looks a lot closer to what he's doing for ground zero, definitely achievable on the ps3 and 360. Wether or not he can make an "open world" game out to the degree of say...Crysis (no, not Crysis2) is more of a design challenge, than a tech one.

He did say that he used Cell almost 100%, so yea, game probably pushed system hard. But most improvement in graphics comes from optimization. For example, in 2008 motion blur took them say ~3 ms, now it takes them 1.5 ms. So, when you optimize alot of things like that, when you have better tools etc. you end up with better looking game.

I don't know what MGS4 you played but games like gow3, killzone 2 and uc2 were running miles ahead technologically. If they were using those cells correctly there wouldn't be such a technology gap between those games and it.

And if I remember correctly, Kojima demoed MGS4 on PS3 devkits in 2005. Problem is, they were more powerful than what they got with retail machines. He never had intention to lie about it...
From what I remember they implied the MGS4 engine was "running" on PS3 devkits but did not say it was realtime but everyone assumed it was rendered in realtime.
Nope. It was real time. They had tech demo in rt showed too.

;)

I don't know what MGS4 you played but games like gow3, killzone 2 and uc2 were running miles ahead technologically. If they were using those cells correctly there wouldn't be such a technology gap between those games and it.
Well, yea but every game is different. There are many things that could go "wrong". Thats why I said "optimization" and tools. ND had already one game under their belt, they set of to deliver something special with second one and the rest is history. Thats not to say that Kojima guys aren't talented, they are, but its difficult to tell why one game looks worse than another yet they are both very taxing for system. There could be many factors that we simply don't know.

Even though I got burned hard by MGS4, I'll give this a shot a few months after it's out and hype and died down.

That still doesn't prove it's real time as everything is STOPPED... why didn't they control the camera while the cutscene is being rendered and moving?:???:

Everything is stopped cos they want to show stuff to you. Things would move off camera if he kept the demo running. Anyways, we can see its realtime, no doubt, even Otacon in the video feed. Even Kojima had said,even the Stranglehold dev, that they had to cut down a lot of stuff when the consoles actually arrived as they had vastly overestimated their powers, thanks to marketing hypes and wrong info by sony and MS.
Wasn't the ps3 gonna have 3 cell processors earlier? I still remember reading an article with a diagram explaining the structure with 3 cell processors, with multiple cores each. We got only one cell in the retail product. No doubt, the games had to accomodate.

Back