Studio Liverpool axed?

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
Just saw the item on IGN.

I knew they should have done a Shadow of the Beast remake on the PS3...:???:

Full statement from Eurogamer:

In a statement Sony said it was focusing on other studios that "are currently working on exciting new projects".

The statement in full:
"As part of SCE Worldwide Studios, we do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive market place. As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current and planned projects for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to our European Studios.
"It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.
"However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.
"Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWS and SCEE Departments.
This should not take anything away from the great work WWS are doing and the incredible games and services that we have made, and continue to make, both for this coming year and further in the future."

Last edited by a moderator:
One can't help but feel they should have given some of those exciting new projects to Liverpool to do... Their heritage makes this a pretty sad event.

I thought studio Liverpool was one of the major tech R&D department of Sony.
With this and Bizarre Creations gone, there's nothing left in this city :(

It does not say they are closing down everything, it just says they will cease to operate as a separate studio.

Bye bye Psygnosis. :(

The murder and genocide of old venerable studios continue unabated...

It does not say they are closing down everything, it just says they will cease to operate as a separate studio.
They're closing the studio as a games developer, which is what everyone laments, as that's Psygnosis. They'll keep the QA aspects and other functions based in Liverpool, but who cares about that?! EG's Update 2:

UPDATE 2: Sony has contacted Eurogamer to stress that the only part of the Liverpool campus that is being closed is WWSE Team Liverpool. The campus will still house FQA, GFPQA, XDev, CSG-Video, Localisation services and WWSE Finance, among other departments

Someone in the EG comments linked to a 1996 PR vid from Psygnosis.

So when Sony bought them, Psygnosis had several offices around the world, and they were the biggest development house in Europe. Makes you wonder what would have happened if they'd stayed independent? Maybe we'd have Psygnosis instead of Ubisoft?

Look at this list of games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psygnosis#Games_developed_or_published_as_Psygnosis

Look at the number and variety, and then Sony buys them and they become a two-trick pony. Rare also collapsed as a creative powerhouse under corporate acquisition. But then Team17 have become a one-trick pony too without being acquired, so is this just a problem with the changing market and the cost and effort needed to a make a game these days?

:cry: I hope everyone effected by this lands on their feet soon. Would have loved to see the 2 projects they were rumored to be working on.

I'd expect that the most valuable people in the studio will get absorbed into Evolution Studios (provided they still live).

Eitherway it's not only a sad day for Studio Liverpool staff, but a sad day for British game development as a whole.

C'mon you bloody Tories, do something! Your videogames industry is drying up around you! :devilish:

Edit:
OMG :runaway: All my hopes and dreams of a new Colony Wars are now dead?!? :-O

I'd expect that the most valuable people in the studio will get absorbed into Evolution Studios (provided they still live).

I don't think they will, if Liverpool can close down then what chance has Evolution got with just one IP that doesn't even sells good or is anywhere near as popular.
The development scene in Northwest will be practically dead if that happens.

It always feel weird when Sony closes down developers. On one side they constantly invest in new risky IP's, which I really like about Sony. On the other side maybe some of these developers would still be around if they perhaps played it a bit safer.

I did work for Psygnosis back in the late 80's.
Sad to see it happen, I hope everyone lands on their feet

Sad news, indeed. I was a Psygnosis fan from back in the Amiga days and enjoyed their output on the PS1, as well. What large studios remain in the UK now?

It always feel weird when Sony closes down developers. On one side they constantly invest in new risky IP's, which I really like about Sony. On the other side maybe some of these developers would still be around if they perhaps played it a bit safer.
I don't understand why they don't repurpose studios. Rather than invest in new talent, why not let your existing talent create novel ideas? They were very good at it in the old days before they became franchise factory workers. Couldn't Studio Liverpool have been given the go-ahead to create a dozen radical games?

Or is this a busniess choice, because running a large studio is far more expensive than investing in one-off titles and independent studios? That's been a significant argument for MS to not buy up studios as Sony has. Couldn't they have sold the studio? Will we see another load of startups going on to create independent titles for Sony or other consoles?

'Psygnosis presents...a DMA Design game...Bloooooood Money'....was my first game on Amiga.

Wipeout was my first game on my PS1.

I don't understand why they don't repurpose studios. Rather than invest in new talent, why not let your existing talent create novel ideas? They were very good at it in the old days before they became franchise factory workers. Couldn't Studio Liverpool have been given the go-ahead to create a dozen radical games?

Or is this a busniess choice, because running a large studio is far more expensive than investing in one-off titles and independent studios? That's been a significant argument for MS to not buy up studios as Sony has. Couldn't they have sold the studio? Will we see another load of startups going on to create independent titles for Sony or other consoles?

But it's likely not the same talent pool today it was even 5 years ago.

I don't think any company takes shutting down a studio lightly, you have to evaluate the product it's delivered, the talent, and resulting potential. Is there a good turnaround plan that isn't just throwing good money after bad?

Sometimes short term issues are enough, when EA basically wound up Westwood, the bulk of the issues were caused by Earth and Beyond, a title they were forced to develop by EA during it's .com period.

Running large internal studios is more expensive than generally having an external developer do something. However you get more control over the product and you know where the money is going, and you guarantee exclusivity. Sony does a lot of first and second party development.

What did you work with?

And.. is this a goodbye to Wipeout PS4?

I worked with them pre Sony buyout.
I wrote the Genesis ports of Shadow of the Beast 1 and 2, I also did a Bloodmoney port, but it never shipped.

Back